Maplestory 3DS: The Girl of Destiny [100% ENG Patch][Release]

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by WillTheLion, Jun 10, 2016.

1. hyprskllz

hyprskllz Gashatto!!

Apr 19, 2016
    Indonesia
    Auldrant
    Looks like the next revision will have lots of typo fixes.
    You don't have to apologize for it. If anything, we should be the one grateful that someone's trying to point out any typo.

Vague Rant likes this.

2. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    A tiny bit extra before bed. :)
    Resuming from ST05012*

3. WillTheLion
    OP

WillTheLion GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2014
    United States
    Hey would you like to join the team as the 'wise and powerful proof reader'?

https://discord.gg/xkyPhSX

If you prefer posting fixes on the thread that'd be okay too. But as dedicated as you are we invite you to join our team's chat.
    Then we could communicate more easily /directly. We could also then give you access to the current files.
    Then you could edit them yourself if you'd like. ;)

Anyway thanks for the help regardless.

4. Vague Rant

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    @WillTheLion Sure thing, I'm on board to join the team. I don't know about wise or powerful, though. ;) I registered a Discord account and I'm in there now as Vague Rant.

5. WillTheLion
    OP

Jun 8, 2014
    United States
    EDIT: FIXED.

"Don't pause during the final boss battle. It makes the game crash and we don't know why yet."

If anyone has a save file from right before the final boss (or the almost final boss) then please export your save file and upload it for us so that we may test this issue easier by getting to the boss faster than beating all the bosses in the Dojo's Boss Run challenge.

Last edited by WillTheLion, Jan 14, 2017
  6. Chris_Highwind

Chris_Highwind GBAtemp Fan

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Mooresville, NC
    Just saw that this game got fully translated today and I was pretty shocked. It is a rare occasion that I see a fantranslation get finished, as most translation projects seem to eventually die off. I was a fan of the MMO, but it taught me that soloing it won't get me anywhere fast, and introduced me to the concept of toxic players, so having a single-player version of the game to play sounds more up my alley.

I just wish I had known that the name you type in for your file is what they name the girl. Now I have a female character with the name Chris x_x

7. devilofeggs

devilofeggs Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2016
    United States
    does anyone know how I could apply this to a .3ds file?

8. kid sampson

kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2006
    United States
    This is an amazing project! Thanks for all of your efforts and I'm happy to see this has come to completion.

I'm new to all this and am looking for some advice. Do I need anything more than al9h Luma 3DS to use the plugin provided? How do I go about setting up NTR with my current setup?

9. Vague Rant

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    @kid sampson, if you're able to locate a pre-patched .cia of the MapleStory 3DS translation hack, you can just install that using FBI and not worry about using NTR. The downside of this approach is that if there are any further updates in the future, you'll have to redownload a new .cia, backup your save, install the new update, then restore your save. The upside is that you just install the CIA as you usually would and there's no additional work, besides save management.

If you'd like to use the NTR plugin, where you can download just the translation files and apply them to a clean MapleStory .cia at runtime (and apply updates in the same way), you'll need to install NTR on your 3DS. This means copying ntr.bin (should be included in the patch download) to your SD card and installing a fork of BootNTR such as astronautlevel2's via FBI to start it up. NTR needs to be booted on your 3DS each time you want to use it, it's not a "permanent" CFW like Luma3DS is. The downside to this approach is that a) you need to install NTR first, and b) you have to launch NTR each time you want to play MapleStory 3DS in English. The upside is very small update downloads and a simple drag-and-drop to SD card instead of installing a new CIA each time there's an update (although there shouldn't be terribly many updates).

10. WillTheLion
    OP

Jun 8, 2014
    United States
    Release time! All crashes and bugs fixed. All proofread and corrected. Also we found a new way to create the .ctpk image files that greatly lowered the file size and maintained 100% quality so the patch is now has much faster load times.Here's the links to the update:

NTR + Patch v1.02: https://mega.nz/#!aFIQkLyD!SD4zve47TYjt0nIpy7Gl7d0g56GNSx4V76q-mf_mWqs

The crash was caused by our .ctpk taking up too much VRAM during the final boss because of how big and animated he is. He takes up lots of memory. This and all other bugs have been fixed. This in theory is the "definitive version".

Arubaro, oji and DarthDub like this.
  11. kid sampson

kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2006
    United States
    I appreciate the thorough response. Since the file is small, I do not think I'll bother with using BootNTR. I don't see myself using it much beyond this project. Many thanks for the explanation and the good work put into this. So glad to see both this response and an update today. One more day to go in the weekend — just in time!

Vague Rant and WillTheLion like this.
  12. simonrule

simonrule Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    thank you so much guys for your hard work :)
    how make this work i have cfw luma 3ds 6.6 and i have used translated game so i don't know how the install process works, can anyone help with this please?

13. scionae

scionae Official Trap Lover

Dec 28, 2016
    Italy
    well this is nice but.. IT'S SO HARD TO FIND A .CIA FOR THIS GAME HOLY HELL

14. scionae

scionae Official Trap Lover

Dec 28, 2016
    Italy
    Uhm.. does this work?
    I converted the .3ds to .cia, installed it and opened BootNTR CFW Selector and selected 3.4 as always, but the game is still in Korean. (yes, I put all the files from the zip in the root of my SD)

Also, I don't know how to update it since my 3DS eShop is Italian and neither Freeshop and that title key site do have the key for this game..
    This is harder then I expected, will there be some kind of video tutorial or something?

Last edited by scionae, Jan 15, 2017
  15. DarkSynopsis

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Curious.

16. Coathanger08

Coathanger08 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    Hey, I'm sorry if this question was already asked.(even tho I used search before:P)I was wondering how much trouble would this be to merge this into the CIA.

ps. I didn't try it yet, was just wondering if the performance is affected like it is with Monster Hunter Stories.

17. Vague Rant

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Sorry, your problem is that the patch is for the Japanese version, not the Korean one. It should be possible for us to make a patch for the Korean version, too, but it hasn't gotten anywhere past idle talk so far. In the meantime, you should either find a clean Japanese version (thankfully, much easier to find than the Korean game), or use a pre-patched CIA if you can locate one.
    Previously, they were all stored raw, which was causing some long load times and at least one crash, presumably due to memory filling up with uncompressed graphics. We compressed them with ETC1 SlowPerceptual, which took hours but resulted in images that look identical to the naked eye.
    Not too difficult as long as you can unpack/repack a CIA (which is pretty much automated these days). Performance is indeed affected, you will get shorter load times running a repacked CIA compared to using NTR. If you're able to find or create your own it is quite nice from what I've heard, but I haven't tried it yet, personally (layeredFS for life!).

18. theplasmastorm

theplasmastorm Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I found a bug with the quest started status. It is usually cut off.

It would say like
    [Quest Name] - Quest Sta

Chief dude in Leafre has blank text to say to you

Last edited by theplasmastorm, Jan 16, 2017
    Vague Rant likes this.
  19. Vague Rant

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Thanks for the reports. I've fixed Chief Tatamo's line on our end, fix will be in the next update. Will look into the Quest Status messages.

20. theplasmastorm

theplasmastorm Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Tommie's got nothing to say after an... incident after Horntail