Hardware Manually Unlinking A NNID Without Nintendo

Deathscreton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just learned a VERY interesting trick from Nintendo. Apparently, you can force unlink a NNID from a device if you were to reintroduce a NAND that had it linked previously.

This means that if you back up the NAND (sys or emu) before doing a system transfer, transfer over all the information to the target 3DS, downgrade then Format the target 3DS, it'll unlink from the target 3DS on their servers. That frees up the target 3DS to add a new NNID. Then what you do is reload your NAND on the source 3DS, go into NNID settings, and when it tells you you can't use this NNID on this system, hold X and Y before pressing OK. This'll ask you if you want to unlink it from the device. Follow through with it then you can relink your old NNID without having to do another system transfer or wait an additional week.

This also means that if you screw up the transfer, you can just format the target 3DS to unlink the NNID, reupload your NAND on the source 3DS and still use your NNID on your source 3DS without having to wait.

Did anyone else know about this?

Deathscreton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a N3DS with Gateway3DS and emuNAND. I was experimenting with the guide Plaitect wrote in order to downgrade my GF's N3DS. During the guide, I fucked up and and didn't swap the internal microSD. So she got my NNID on her device. Eventually, I fucked up the Hardmod as a last ditch effort and lost the ability to system transfer. During this time, I had reuploaed my emuNAND to my microSD and learned that even though the emuNAND though it was linked, the server didn't because it was tied to the N3DS I fucked up. So I spoke with Nintendo. They eventually released the NNID remotely from the destroyed N3DS (which woul dhave been done had she reformated and added her own NNID). From there, I told them that my 3DS still couldn't connect to it. So they taught me how to release the NNID locally.

So long as the NNID isn't attached anywhere else, we can use this method to avoid having to system transfer back so long as you backup your NAND before the first transfer.

DoHxBoY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a N3DS with Gateway3DS and emuNAND. I was experimenting with the guide Plaitect wrote in order to downgrade my GF's N3DS. During the guide, I fucked up and and didn't swap the internal microSD. So she got my NNID on her device. Eventually, I fucked up the Hardmod as a last ditch effort and lost the ability to system transfer. During this time, I had reuploaed my emuNAND to my microSD and learned that even though the emuNAND though it was linked, the server didn't because it was tied to the N3DS I fucked up. So I spoke with Nintendo. They eventually released the NNID remotely from the destroyed N3DS (which woul dhave been done had she reformated and added her own NNID). From there, I told them that my 3DS still couldn't connect to it. So they taught me how to release the NNID locally.

So long as the NNID isn't attached anywhere else, we can use this method to avoid having to system transfer back so long as you backup your NAND before the first transfer.

Is your girlfriend pissed? Because if I was your girlfriend, I'd be pissed.

Either way, I guess your... misadventures... at least lead to some potentially new information.

Good luck convincing her of the discovery being worth it in the end! :yay:

Deathscreton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your girlfriend pissed? Because if I was your girlfriend, I'd be pissed.

Either way, I guess your... misadventures... at least lead to some potentially new information.

Good luck convincing her of the discovery being worth it in the end! :yay:
Well thankfully, it was a refurbished N3DS that we just purchased, so it was still under "warranty". We just returned it and got her another. B-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Happy birthday! +1