MAME/Neo-Geo emulator for O3DS why not?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by rewrewrew123, Jul 26, 2017.

1. rewrewrew123
    OP

rewrewrew123 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2014
    Italy
    Hey guys.
    I just tried out the retroarch cores for Neo-Geo and MAME emulators.
    It doesnt work (crashes on b9s with Luma, ARM11 Data abort with 3dsx version, another ARM11 problem with the CIA one).
    So today I discovered NeoDS, an homebrew for loading NeoGeo Roms on NDS.

Since when it was built the hardware was limited and it runs great except for the audio part (wich is partially emulated tried with a NDSL and a 3ds+TWLLoader), why nobody has created a NeoGeo fully-working emulator tooking as base NeoDS?
    As far as i remember in the original zip (0.2.0) there is source code too so porting on 3ds would be relatively easy!

BetterDuck likes this.
  2. Player-1

Player-1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2016
    United States

give it time, i'm sure someone like @bubble2k16 will make a decent port eventually.

3. Justeego

Justeego Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2017
    Italy
    I want it too, just to play some mortal kombat II

4. SlimPortable

SlimPortable GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    I hope Bubbles2k decides to work on something for this some day. I'd love MAME on O3DS for some Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

5. SG6000

SG6000 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2015
    A problem with porting something like MAME for O3DS is that the variance between the demands of the hundreds of ROMs is huge. Today some games from the MAME 2000 romset run perfectly and at rock solid full speed on O3DS - but most won't. Some games barely break the 20fps mark even on N3DS. This is just the nature of emulating everything from relatively simple early '80s arcade boards to complex PCBs of games loaded with custom graphics and sound chips.

If the O3DS struggles with halfway accurate Mega Drive emulation then decent Neo Geo emulation is pretty much out of the question, unfortunately. At some point - if you care enough about this - you really do need to upgrade to an N3DS.

Hopalongtom likes this.
  6. Justeego

Justeego Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2017
    Italy
    With Picodrive I get 60 fps on O3DS, Gensis Plus struggles, so it's possible

7. Akisai

Akisai Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2017
    United States
    Help us Obi- @bubble2k16 -Kenobi. You're our only hope.

8. rewrewrew123
    OP

Aug 20, 2014
    Italy
    Me too.

Why porting on NDS with all its hardware limitations basically every console (like NeoGeo too) and nobody wants to do on O3ds where you have more performing than a NDS?
    This is bad! I remember in NDS Scene there were thousands of homebrew! Moonshell for example was great, but many other emulators too!
    The hardware was less performing but the people who worked on were a lot! And there were lot of ideas on how optimizing some things or making new things!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

EDIT: Also on NDS there were cool pieces of demoscene. On 3ds I have only seen a few demoscene...

9. WannyTiggah

WannyTiggah GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2014
    Chile
    When I was a kid I remember I had problems running SNES games on ZSNES on my Pentium 1, but NeoGeo games like KOF98 ran like silk on NeoRageX.

Maybe a MAME core might be difficult... especially, as you say, due to the big variance in games (it's not the same to run PacMan than Mortal Kombat 3) but a dedicated/optimized NeoGeo core could work.

Last edited by WannyTiggah, Aug 5, 2017
  10. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    You can play the super nintendo port of mortal kombat 2 which is a nice version of the game.

11. WannyTiggah

WannyTiggah GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2014
    Chile
    But it's not the same as playing the arcade version.

12. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    True but it's better then no mk2 at all.

13. bubble2k16

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    Hmm... been too busy with work recently to be doing anything related to emus. It's going to be sometime before I even get back to Temper... :) Hopefully a dedicated 3DS dev comes along to try.

cvskid likes this.
  14. rewrewrew123
    OP

Aug 20, 2014
    Italy
    I hope you'll back soon :D

Thanks!

15. LeoIeiri

LeoIeiri GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2017
    Tokyo
    Its posible play some Neo Geo games on O3ds with twloader and converter roms

I play with anny problems metal slug X and the king of fighters 98 ant this moment but I have more games

16. lordkaos

lordkaos GBAtemp Fan

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    I remember the original Ds had a decent neo geo emulator, so it must also be possible to make one for 3ds

17. LeoIeiri

LeoIeiri GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2017
    Tokyo
    I use that emulator but now in 3DS

18. lordkaos

lordkaos GBAtemp Fan

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    but you're using it through a ds flashcart on ds mode right?, I don't know but i think that is a sub-par experience.

19. LeoIeiri

LeoIeiri GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2017
    Tokyo
    I use TWLoader put a special rom to load converted neo geo roms and play games (I have near 30 games, metal slug games,the king of fighters...)

And work very fine in my O3DS

20. rewrewrew123
    OP

Aug 20, 2014
    Italy
    Can you please try Bubble Bobble and let me know if it's me or sound doesnt properly work? :D
    I can hear SFX but I cant hear BGM...