Hardware Making a Wii Laptop Help Wanted

ironmaster49

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Now i am trying to make a wii laptop. How can i power it? How do i use a hard drive with it? Anyone know? Thanks. I want to make it rechargeable and portable

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Powering it probably wouldn't be too hard, just found a rechargeable battery with a power management system that outputs 12v DC and roughly the right amperage for the Wii. HDDs should connect to the bottom USB port, but if it's going to be portable, you probably want to use a SSD or just a large SDHC card.

Though, wouldn't it be easier and more practical to just install Dolphin on a decent laptop?

ironmaster49

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Powering it probably wouldn't be too hard, just found a rechargeable battery with a power management system that outputs 12v DC and roughly the right amperage for the Wii. HDDs should connect to the bottom USB port, but if it's going to be portable, you probably want to use a SSD or just a large SDHC card.

Though, wouldn't it be easier and more practical to just install Dolphin on a decent laptop?
I dont have a good laptop, dolphin is too intensive even on the lowest settings, and what sort of batteries should i get? I just want to know how to power it

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont have a good laptop, dolphin is too intensive even on the lowest settings, and what sort of batteries should i get?
You could probably just look into laptop batteries and power management systems. Getting something like this stable, usable, and portable is going to be a bit of an expensive venture itself unless you have a lot of spare parts laying around.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's something you could look up with Google. Though, if you're asking questions like that, I'd recommend starting off with a much smaller project. Something to practice soldering with and to familiarize yourself with looking up information and running wires.

ironmaster49

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well ok, i was working on software and im not really good with hardware, all i did was simple wire rerouting and stripping and such and building PCs

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
? No way, troll message? You metroid, trying to fool me and the Galactic Federation? Well i just wanted to know how to use a battery with it and what battery do you recommend
I don't know about the battery. However, a flash drive would use less power than a HDD/SSD, thus increasing the life of whatever battery you use. You did ask how you would use a HDD with it.

This seems like a very ambitious project.

ironmaster49

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, so using that, but i just wanted more game storage. Thanks. But What sort of battery should i use? And how to wire it

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about the battery. However, a flash drive would use less power than a HDD/SSD, thus increasing the life of whatever battery you use. You did ask how you would use a HDD with it.

This seems like a very ambitious project.
I'd think a large SDHC or even SDXC card would be easier on it. Anyway, doesn't the Wii have issues with a lot of flash drives?

ironmaster49

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wanted to ask what sort of battery to use and how to power the wii with it, if so thanks. I can splice cables up if needed. Just what battery do you recommend

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd think a large SDHC or even SDXC card would be easier on it. Anyway, doesn't the Wii have issues with a lot of flash drives?
Probably. You don't get the same level of performance with the SD slot though. Strangely, transfer speeds are slower than if you plug the SD card into a USB adapter. You're right that it's something to consider though, given that space is an issue.

I don't know if the OP has seen the inside of a Wii. It's not meant to have parts adjusted. From what I've seen, it's tough not to rip out the ribbon cables because they're so tight.

ironmaster49

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably. You don't get the same level of performance with the SD slot though. Strangely, transfer speeds are slower than if you plug the SD card into a USB adapter. You're right that it's something to consider though, given that space is an issue.

I don't know if the OP has seen the inside of a Wii. It's not meant to have parts adjusted. From what I've seen, it's tough not to rip out the ribbon cables because they're so tight.
I dont want to open the wii, i dont really care about the storage and space, and the hdd will be external usb which will work with wiiflow or maybe a large sdxc. I just wanted to know how to power it with a rechargeable battery and how to recharge the battery and how to connect it to the wii. Splicing cables? But all this is external, im not touching the inside of the wii

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, there's not really much there to work with. I've only been into the Wii to mess with a modchip or two and to replace parts for the disc drive. From what I saw, though, you're not really going to get it much more compact than what it already is. Maybe some sort of external and housing attachments could work without adding too much bulk.
I dont want to open the wii, i dont really care about the storage and space, and the hdd will be external usb which will work with wiiflow or maybe a large sdxc. I just wanted to know how to power it with a rechargeable battery and how to recharge the battery and how to connect it to the wii. Splicing cables? But all this is external, im not touching the inside of the wii
Ah, then it shouldn't be too hard. Just mainly need to setup a power management unit with a battery and a small screen with a "sensor bar" at the top.

ironmaster49

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have drawn up a plan, i just want to know how to power it up and how to link the rechargeable battery and how to charge it and how to connect the wii to the battery, and i will splice cables or do whats needed for this, and what sort of battery is needed. I know 12v 20 watts but i want something more specific

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have drawn up a plan, i just want to know how to power it up and how to link the rechargeable battery and how to charge it and how to connect the wii to the battery, and i will splice cables or do whats needed for this, and what sort of battery is needed
Google and basic intuition will go far there. It will depend on what battery you go with. Just do your research first.

ironmaster49

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I looked on google, but i didnt find many useful things, so i asked here. All it says is 12v 20 watts and the guides i saw use a lead acid battery which i dont want, does anyone know the best lightweight high capacity battery, does not have to be very compact, but how to connect it to wii as well. Like maybe li-ion? And just how to wire it up i have to splice the connector cable from the power brick?

ironmaster49

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well i found a battery pack now how do i splice it on the wii when i get it? Like attach it to the wii power adapter and how to charge it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1