Netherlands
never choose between windows or mac just dualboot it
biggrin.gif

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main problem is it's for your dad. This mean ALL support issues are going to go through you. In such a scenario I'd recommend Linux like a drill through your skull. Unless you want your dad calling you ever other day, don't go Linux. Ubuntu is great but certainly can't be recommended for a non-technical user.

Now it's PC vs Mac. You might think that Mac is a better option because of the recent PC infection. However note that almost all virus infections are NOT the result of some secret zero-day exploit that installed automatically via some Windows/doc/pdf exploit. Almost all are the result of "oh I installed program X from some dubious website" or "i double clicked on an emali from a friend who yadda yadda". Thus the real problem is the user interaction, not the computer. So to me going Mac doesn't really solve the root problem, it just masks it.

PC and Macs are similar enough and have comparable tools such that you can pretty much switch a user between them. Then the questions become

1) How much money do you want to spend?
2) How much support do you want to do?

If you go with Mac, then there will be the initial deluge of 'how do I do X' or whatever. So unless you're familar with the Mac OS your ability to support it drops dramatically. A decade of supportng XP/Vista/Win7 means I can troubleshoot things instantly on a Windows platform. I know what is 'normal' Windows stupidity and what is 'bad'. I know what processes are 'normal' on a Windows install.

So for me at least I'd rather support a Windows platform remotely simply because it's easier and faster for me.

zhuzhuchina

Trophies
Website
www.zhuzhuchina.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
at least when i buy an apple PRO series i am sure the build quality is ok, i don't link basic macbook too plastic. i had 6/7 pro mac notebook and never had one defective, had many problems with ibook 12" vga defects and macbook 13" white black unstable. however windows 7 and last bootcamp drivers works fine
i suggest refurbished mac too if can get 30% discount at least, otherwise new pre-last generation or 1 year ago m pro laptop

D

Deleted User

If a laptop is over heating it's generally the fault of the user for not taking better care of their purchase. Not cleaning out the vents/heatsink, blockingg the vents and the heatsink; lots of dust and crap can get inside that drastically increases the running temperature of components already forced into small space eclosures.

I'm going to recommend Linux as well. While it does have viruses, so long as he keeps his system updated and is careful about what he installs, it should be fine. Everything in a Linux distro like Ubuntu, (say you want to install VLC Media Player) - You go to the integrated software center, download the files ~ (it does this for you), then type in your password; all installation authorizations require you to type in your password. For Linux Newbies there is no real "Admin" mode like on Windows, being required to enter your password 24/7 may feel like a burden, but it's actually a great security feature similar to the much more cumbersome and annoying User Access Control feature of Windows Vista & Seven.

All computers get viruses. However, on Linux it's more likely (and fairly rare in comparison to Mac/Windows) that you yourself installed the virus and authorized it with your user-password to both install/run. In short, both windows and mac make it unfortunately more easy to install programs that are likely to contain such things as adware/spyware/malware and viruses.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=694198

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I2aven's_Sage said:
If a laptop is over heating it's generally the fault of the user for not taking better care of their purchase. Not cleaning out the vents/heatsink, blockingg the vents and the heatsink; lots of dust and crap can get inside that drastically increases the running temperature of components already forced into small space eclosures.

I'm going to recommend Linux as well. While it does have viruses, so long as he keeps his system updated and is careful about what he installs, it should be fine. Everything in a Linux distro like Ubuntu, (say you want to install VLC Media Player) - You go to the integrated software center, download the files ~ (it does this for you), then type in your password; all installation authorizations require you to type in your password. For Linux Newbies there is no real "Admin" mode like on Windows, being required to enter your password 24/7 may feel like a burden, but it's actually a great security feature similar to the much more cumbersome and annoying User Access Control feature of Windows Vista & Seven.

All computers get viruses. However, on Linux it's more likely (and fairly rare in comparison to Mac/Windows) that you yourself installed the virus and authorized it with your user-password to both install/run. In short, both windows and mac make it unfortunately more easy to install programs that are likely to contain such things as adware/spyware/malware and viruses.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=694198

Yeah, sudo is a great power, but is also to be equally respected and feared. Linux viruses in terms of the number that existed at any one point I believe don't exceed more than 35-ish IIRC. Even then they are rare in occurance in the wild, you'll be hard pressed to contract one unless you go looking for it (And why anyone would want to do that is beyond me).

Also most of said viruses require user-interaction to install, meaning you yourself have to actually put in your password and give it root level privaleges. Most of the time if you're a Linux user, you're gonna know well before that it isn't legit.

I've never contracted a virus since I switched over to Linux, not one, through the time that I used Ubuntu, to when I now use Arch Linux. I mean sure I hardly contracted one when I used to use XP (Back before I discovered the wonder that is Linux) except for one that came from my college network (Go figure, our IT department sucked at the time). It's actually quite relieving, but I never let my guard down even so.

Ubuntu and Mint are the best new-user friendly distros, and Mint actually uses a similar toolbar to Winb..Winders. Not that it matters as in Gnome2 (Which mint still uses I assume), you can add and remove, and customize panels in whatever way you wish.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows.
I can't stand how Mac likes to do stuff for you, and very often does it in a non-customizable way.

Mac looks pretty, and there aren't a whole lot of viruses written for it, but I can have both of those luxuries with a theme and a free anti-virus.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Windows.
I can't stand how Mac likes to do stuff for you, and very often does it in a non-customizable way.

Mac looks pretty, and there aren't a whole lot of viruses written for it, but I can have both of those luxuries with a theme and a free anti-virus.

there is all kinds of ways to customize your mac, but it requires a bit of knowledge as it's not a "simple" tab option in the preference panel like in windows.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
_Chaz_ said:
Windows.

there is all kinds of ways to customize your mac, but it requires a bit of knowledge as it's not a "simple" tab option in the preference panel like in windows.
Well yeah, it can't be too hard. I always hear people complaining that they chose Mac because they found Windows to be too difficult to operate.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
nando said:
_Chaz_ said:
Windows.

Well yeah, it can't be too hard. I always hear people complaining that they chose Mac because they found Windows to be too difficult to operate.

but you are saying you are sticking to windows because you couldn't figure out how to customize mac. it's jsut a little bit ironic.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a Dell or HP laptop with Windows 7, & get BitDefender AntiVirus.. My Dell with Vista got a few virus's, but none when I got BitDefender, and even less showed up when I upgraded to Windows 7.

I've used my brother's mac, and some in apple stores, and I honestly prefer windows. It's compatible with nearly every computer program in existence, that alone is enough for some people. Macs don't have any programs or software you can't get (Or something similar) on Windows, I can't say the same for Macs.

Macs CAN get viruses, so that also shouldn't be a reason to get a mac.

meornot0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
_Chaz_ said:
nando said:
_Chaz_ said:
Windows.

but you are saying you are sticking to windows because you couldn't figure out how to customize mac. it's jsut a little bit ironic.

I think you two have very different definitions of "customization."
Changing desktop background, fonts, and icons =/= customization, and that's all that came up with a quick "mac customizations" google.
How about alternative launchers?
How about alternative button layouts?

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

And this is what Linux allows you to do... pure, unrestricted, control over everything. Lovely isn't it.

Still cant quite figure out why people don't try it, being afraid of another OS you've never used before is just plain silly. Download an iso, burn the live disk, try it out, if you like it great install that bad boy. If you hate it, no more lost than a CD/DVD and a bit of time.

meornot0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nimbus said:
QUOTE said:

And this is what Linux allows you to do... pure, unrestricted, control over everything. Lovely isn't it.

Still cant quite figure out why people don't try it, being afraid of another OS you've never used before is just plain silly. Download an iso, burn the live disk, try it out, if you like it great install that bad boy. If you hate it, no more lost than a CD/DVD and a bit of time.
Dont worry, i have opensuse dual booting with windows 7. With kde, xfce, and gnome installed.
You can never have too little options.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
meornot0 said:
I think you two have very different definitions of "customization."
Changing desktop background, fonts, and icons =/= customization, and that's all that came up with a quick "mac customizations" google.

what's a launcher? like quicksilver? or just the icon you click?

you can customize the button layouts. it's a matter of going into the resource files, there you can re-skin every aspect of the interface including the loading splash screen. you can also make custom menus and overwrite shortcuts for all applications. so no it's not just changing the font and the background.

you can even make crappy graphics for safaris loading bar and animations for your mouse pointer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."