Rayout

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I was at the DS Lite summer tour as they hit Chicago's Rock Around the Block, a showcase of some local bands. Pretty fun event overall albeit it was blazing hot outside (about 100 degrees F).

My sister and I ran around schmoozing as many freebies as we could from all the different vendors, everything from samples to free coupons (woot for starbucks and their free fruit juice drinks).

There were about 4-5 ladies with ds lite gear showing the systems to various people in the crowd. I think we hit up each of them up once haha.

Loot:

Mario Kart Lanyard for ds/dslite

DS Lite frisbee (one of those made of a flatened metal wire that you can scrunch up, even came with a pouch to hold it in)

Scratch coupons which gave you a chance to win a free ds lite. Mostly they were just $1 to $10 off your next ds hardware/game purchase. I have quite a few $5 ones so if anyone wants one, send me a PM. $5 off a DS lite isn't bad ^^ They only apply towards the hand helds, no use saving them for the Wii
frown.gif

Nintendo stickers x 2, I got one of a mushroom my sis got one of princess peach. I lost mine driving home but oh well.

Check out the pics:

Me with one of the DS lite promoters, I caught up with her as she was chatting with one of the American Express booth guys. I managed to get them both to take a pic with me haha:

It's me in the middle looking like a total dweeb
tongue.gif
I've got my hands full of random crap.

Here's the loot.

They had tons of those coupons so toward the end some of them were giving each of us 3-4 of them at a time.

Close up of a coupon, again if you want a $5 ONE towards your next purchase PM me, I've got like 6 or 7, first come first serve:

Things to note:

Some of them really weren't into the gig they had. The first lady I talked to for instance was suprised I approached her, she said "Alot of kids didn't like it." Not a great promoter I guess haha.

To get a coupon/stuff we had to play a game on the DS Lites. The games they had were Magnetica and NSMB.

They don't wash the DSLs after you play them so some smelled pretty gross (gah the things we do for free stuff!).

Of the 3 DSL's I rembembered to check, one had the cracked hinge above the L button (I laughed pretty hard at that I have to admit). Also, the one DS Lite I remembered to check for the loose touch screen issue also had the problem (its where the bottom right corner of the DSL isn't secured and when you press/touch the corner it depresses a bit instead of staying put).

The one DSL promoter that took the picture with me is on the Nintendo website. She was also the nicest of the bunch giving the best gear: The lanyard and the frisbee. I think she was the manager, everyone else just gave out coupons/stickers. The second nicest was the one who gave out stickers as she actually would play NSMB against you.

In the end I wouldn't recommend going to a Nintendo DS summer tour event just because some random promoters from Nintendo are there, really isn't worth it just for that. I ended up finding some really good local bands to support, and admission was only $5 donation to help build a park in the neighborhood. Other free stuff we collected:

1x mini-chap stick from careerbuilder.com or something like that
4x Coupon for free new fruit juice frappa-whatever from starbucks
1x pack of Mint-shaved-gel (have no clue what those are called) from WRXT radio who hosted the event

Edited for grammar, more info added

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man all the ones closest to me (houston 5 hour drive) are over.
Does nintendo think that only people in the north play games?
for a tour they really arnt traveling very much imo.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, the other day at the Calgary Stampede I went up to the Nintendo booth and started playing MP:H (I really suck at this game) and some guy that worked there was like 'So whas up?' and I told him that I have a DS and that I suck at this game. So he wanted to know what other games I had, but I didn't want to tell him I had a supercard, so I told him the only legit game I had, Tetris. SO hes like 'Oh Tetris, eh? Think you could beat the Tetris master?' And I was like, umm, I'll try. So I go over to this guy and hes standing there playing Meteos and totally ignoring me. So after a while hes like what can I do for you? And I told him I was supposed to play Tetris against him. So hes like all right, whatever. So we start playing and and then about 5 seconds in he goes to another guy working there, Man this guys fast! So about a minute later I won, so I kept playing these guys that worked for Nintendo, pwning all of them (I only lost once) and one of the guys said that he got pwned like he did in an online tournament, and I asked him if it was the GBAtemp tourney, and he said yeah. But anyways, they were so impressed the gave me flipflops that looked like NES controller. I'll take a pic sometime after I find my camera. And then they took a group photo of me and the Nintendo guys because I totally pwned.

Coru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, the other day at the Calgary Stampede I went up to the Nintendo booth and started playing MP:H (I really suck at this game) and some guy that worked there was like 'So whas up?' and I told him that I have a DS and that I suck at this game. So he wanted to know what other games I had, but I didn't want to tell him I had a supercard, so I told him the only legit game I had, Tetris. SO hes like 'Oh Tetris, eh? Think you could beat the Tetris master?' And I was like, umm, I'll try. So I go over to this guy and hes standing there playing Meteos and totally ignoring me. So after a while hes like what can I do for you? And I told him I was supposed to play Tetris against him. So hes like all right, whatever. So we start playing and and then about 5 seconds in he goes to another guy working there, Man this guys fast! So about a minute later I won, so I kept playing these guys that worked for Nintendo, pwning all of them (I only lost once) and one of the guys said that he got pwned like he did in an online tournament, and I asked him if it was the GBAtemp tourney, and he said yeah. But anyways, they were so impressed the gave me flipflops that looked like NES controller. I'll take a pic sometime after I find my camera. And then they took a group photo of me and the Nintendo guys because I totally pwned.

Cool! I was at the nintendo booth at the stampede too. All the DS's were occupied so I didn't get a chance to play anybody.

Cryton

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There was a Nintendo booth at the Stampede?! Almost makes me wish I had gone. But I loath the stampede.. Too many people, bad traffic & parking and it's a 1.5hr drive from where I am.

Coru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There was a Nintendo booth at the Stampede?! Almost makes me wish I had gone. But I loath the stampede.. Too many people, bad traffic & parking and it's a 1.5hr drive from where I am.

Take the bus! There were stampede express busses. It made it more conveniant. You could leave your car in the parking lot and catch the bus. I wouldn't want to drive down there either.

Anybody catch the Our Lady Peace concert? It was good.
biggrin.gif

Cryton

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Funny you mentioned OLP. My sister was at the Stampede Friday with her BF and they had backstage passes to OLP (his friend works on the Stampede grounds and got them). But since they wanted to drink and no alcohol allowed backstage they didn't go. They said it was a very good show tho. If only I didn't work Mondays to Fridays, I might have went too...

Bus? Didn't know about those.. The last time I was at the 'pede was like 5+ years ago and it was crazy so I haven't gone back since. I think we parked like 1KM away back then and walked to the grounds - no bus. I don't even get to Calgary much and when I do, it's usually just to the airport which isn't really far into the city.

Coru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, it was a good concert. Where are you from? Being from Calgary, I go to the Stampede every year.

Rayout

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So anyways quick update, I've still got 3 $5 coupons left. If anyone still wants em just send me a PM.

Lol at first i was asking people to send me a self-addressed stamped envelope (haha im stingy, lazy bastard) but its alot of trouble so I'll eat the cost and mail it out myself since i have a few people that I'm going to send them to already.

They expire 8/31/06 but most retailers don't check for that kind of stuff anyways ,my parents use coupons that expired 5 years ago O_O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs