Gaming Looking for one handed rpg

Chiverus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone im looking to get an rpg for a friend who has only one fully functional hand. She loved ff13 and that xbox exclusive rpg about the immortals (for some reason the name escapes me at the moment).

So does anyone have any suggestions? Id get her ff13-2 but that seemed like half a game.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you mean Lost Odyssey.

And really, if she loved FF13, get her 13-2 as it's a sequel, and then she'll be ready for the upcoming Lightning Returns.

Usually I wouldn't recommend that FF, but hey, she loved them. Might as well finish the story.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finish off Final Fantasy 13 series and move on to Disgaea.
It's weeaboo but it's really fun and doesn't require much to play.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Though I could possibly sit here and think of a game I should mention that there are ways to adapt controllers so as to enable one handed play. Sure some of the twin stick stuff might be a problem but a lot of it can get done.

If you can solder you can do a lot of it yourself as the ideas are not really that hard.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are we talking about a specific platform or can it be just about anything?

I'd wager that a player with only one functional hand would likely have problems with a controller or a mouse and keyboard setup, which is why I'd suggest games that require only a mouse, specifically turn-based PC RPG's. There's a huge number of titles in this genre, for example the fantastic "Fallout 1-2" and "Baldur's Gate 1-2" which I always recommend whenever Western RPG's pop up - they're true classics.

There's also a huge number of turn-based JRPG's - I think he'd quite enjoy the "Final Fantasy" remakes as well as "Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light" on the DS which give him enough time to respond to the enemy attacks. The remakes recently recieved an HD treatment and are available on the iPhone which would allow him to play them without even having to use a D-Pad or buttons - everything is touch-based. There's also the great "Golden Sun" series, both on the DS and the GBA - I lost quite a chunk of my childhood playing those.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
On a GBA SP(buttons are really close to each other) any Fire Emblem works well and smooth with one hand.
I remember a time where I would eat a sandwich with one hand and play FE with the other. It was very easy to adapt.

EDIT: Oops PS3 section

tvoretz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is the PS3 section, but like SuperrSonic said, you should seriously look into the GameBoy Advance if her left hand is the functional one. It's got loads of turn-based and tactical RPGs. Heck, thanks to the L=A option, you can play the Pokemon games entirely with one hand. If you do decide to pick up a GBA for her, here are some factors to consider for the model:
  • The Gameboy Micro and the AGS-101 GBA SP are smaller than the original GBA and have much, much better screens.
  • The original GBA and GameBoy Micro have thicker buttons that don't sit as flush with the handheld, which might make pressing the buttons easier, if that's important.
  • The GBA SP's screen is above the controls instead of in-between, so the buttons are closer together, although the Micro is small enough that the buttons are still pretty close together anyway.
Alternatively, if the two of you are down with emulation, look into the PSP Go. With emulated GBA games, PS1 games, and the PSP's own catalog, she'll never be at a loss for RPGs to play.

If you really are looking for just PS3 games, Final Fantasy 13-2 is the obvious choice. You might also consider the downloadable Persona 3 FES. I've only played Persona 3 Portable, but there seems to be very little in the game that requires quick reflexes.

Chiverus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are we talking about a specific platform or can it be just about anything?

Just PS3 as she no longer has the xbox nor a computer capable of gaming. Also i feel i should be more clear, she can grasp the controller with the one hand the doesnt fully function. she just grasps the lower part of the controller and operates the controls with the other hand.

Though i didnt even think of the persona games thats not a bad idea actually thanks.

also thanks everyone for there suggestions.

ShadowNeko003

~Nyah~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try the Tales series (Graces f and Xillia.) During battles, you can switch all the characters to automatic, letting the AI take control. Or you can play a mage and just cast spells.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night