• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 4,935
  • Replies 41
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
The OG Animal Crossing, interesting to see how far the series has come since the GC days. Anyway the GC Version is pretty dank

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

Actually interesting note on Rogue Squadron III: it has Rogue Squadron II in it as a split-screen coop mode.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I can't play GBA games on GameCube with a Game Boy Advance but rather only the GameCube controller? That seems kind of unnecessarily backwards

Umm well... look...
Is a accessory attachement you put under the system. Then you insert the gba game cart into the slot and put the Gameboy player disc in the game cube to load the GBA game. You could use a link cable to control the game i think. But that about it. Is basically like super game boy with snes back in the day. Man i wish nintendo had kept doing stuff like this, then we would have a 3DS NDS cart player for wii u or something for TV. :D

Anyway that is basically what it does. Of course i think if you can find some special accssory like a action replay and gamecube memory card sd adaptor, you could just use homebrew emulators to play roms, or use a wii with homebrew channel. :P

20659-1.jpg

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Umm well... look...
Is a accessory attachement you put under the system. Then you insert the gba game cart into the slot and put the Gameboy player disc in the game cube to load the GBA game. You could use a link cable to control the game i think. But that about it. Is basically like super game boy with snes back in the day. Man i wish nintendo had kept doing stuff like this, then we would have a 3DS NDS cart player for wii u or something for TV. :D

Anyway that is basically what it does. Of course i think if you can find some special accssory like a action replay and gamecube memory card sd adaptor, you could just use homebrew emulators to play roms, or use a wii with homebrew channel. :P

20659-1.jpg
Oh yeah, just like Super Game Boy on SNES. The component cable for GameCube is ridiculously expensive but there's always the RGB version which is the second best. Or Component/Wii2HDMI on Wii although this would be entirely emulation without using physical game carts.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, just like Super Game Boy on SNES. The component cable for GameCube is ridiculously expensive but there's always the RGB version which is the second best. Or Component/Wii2HDMI on Wii although this would be entirely emulation without using physical game carts.
The ASIC for the Gamecube component cable has been cloned.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's great news. I can't find it on eBay, though. How much does it go for?
I don't know the exact details of what they have out there. I haven't actually looked into it as a customer as much as I was gearing up to work with a different team to produce a different clone. Actually, 'clone' might not be the best term, because I want to say, at least with the initial design that I'd seen, that it doesn't actually do quite the same thing as the original. I think it output to a different standard than the original's Component; maybe VGA? Assuming the team that did come through did what I had been looking at, the documentation on the signals coming out of the gamecube's digital port provided what was needed to recognize the image data, but from there it was up to the team to put it into a standard format, and I wanna say that Component wasn't what they initially went with. I'm a little hazy on it; it was a couple years ago, I think.

Actually, did a quick search, and this may be it:
https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo

Yes, that's source code and not a physical device, but there are probably people out there who would build one for you. For a fee, of course.

edit:
actually, this place seems to have physical boards ready to mount for it. I know the guy who runs it is legit.
http://www.badassconsoles.com/gcvideo-1/

Last edited by grossaffe,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i remember when they used to have Gameboy advance video. LOL :P

Man that was some "EXPERIENCE" the idea of watching a video on GBA just by loading it into a cart was the start of SOMETHING. You would go buy one and it had like only 2 random episodes of some tv show on there, cause the GBA carts can only store up to 32MB max data. Trying to watch that stuff on that small damn screen be like 260X120 resolution, with no back light unless you used a worm light in the car, or had GBA SP with the back light bright. But had no headphone slot for headset, you were screwed trying to hear that. Dare you to try it now, i bet you would laugh your lips off trying to do it and just be like. "Well damn, anything else would do better than this." :P

I never owned one of these, but i seen a few rom files, and is total garbage, funny to just experience though but total garbage. At the time it was all we had and if you like me remember the struggle, during the idea of watching your favorite tv show on the go or in the bathroom. Dare you to try and find one and see how it is on the Gameboy player, not even emulators on HD TV can save those carts. :D

300px-GBA_Video_box.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: VMM

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Man that was some "EXPERIENCE" the idea of watching a video on GBA just by loading it into a cart was the start of SOMETHING. You would go buy one and it had like only 2 random episodes of some tv show on there, cause the GBA carts can only store up to 32MB max data. Trying to watch that stuff on that small damn screen be like 260X120 resolution, with no back light unless you used a worm light in the car, or had GBA SP with the back light bright. But had no headphone slot for headset, you were screwed trying to hear that. Dare you to try it now, i bet you would laugh your lips off trying to do it and just be like. "Well damn, anything else would do better than this." :P

I never owned one of these, but i seen a few rom files, and is total garbage, funny to just experience though but total garbage. At the time it was all we had and if you like me remember the struggle, during the idea of watching your favorite tv show on the go or in the bathroom. Dare you to try and find one and see how it is on the Gameboy player, not even emulators on HD TV can save those carts. :D

Psh, that's nothing. I bought a TV-Tuner for my GBA. Thing picked up analog antenna signals (you know, back when those still existed), as well as accepting composite video and RF signals. Parents restricted my TV privileges? No problem, I'll play Metroid Prime on my fucking Gameboy!

Last edited by grossaffe,
Reactions: VMM and VinsCool
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I don't know the exact details of what they have out there. I haven't actually looked into it as a customer as much as I was gearing up to work with a different team to produce a different clone. Actually, 'clone' might not be the best term, because I want to say, at least with the initial design that I'd seen, that it doesn't actually do quite the same thing as the original. I think it output to a different standard than the original's Component; maybe VGA? Assuming the team that did come through did what I had been looking at, the documentation on the signals coming out of the gamecube's digital port provided what was needed to recognize the image data, but from there it was up to the team to put it into a standard format, and I wanna say that Component wasn't what they initially went with. I'm a little hazy on it; it was a couple years ago, I think.

Actually, did a quick search, and this may be it:
https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo

Yes, that's source code and not a physical device, but there are probably people out there who would build one for you. For a fee, of course.

edit:
actually, this place seems to have physical boards ready to mount for it. I know the guy who runs it is legit.
http://www.badassconsoles.com/gcvideo-1/

Ready to ship. Sweet.

The 'Install Service' part, I'd need to send my GameCube or can I just skip that option and select 'No'?

I know that for PAL GameCube systems we have to use the Freeloader and then force NTSC on PAL to get Component quality, a few PAL GC games offered component but that's barely any and one of them is super rare (Fire Emblem). Never knew this existed so wow! Pretty awesome this actually exists. :)

300px-GBA_Video_box.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I remember watching Dragon Ball GT episodes GBA cart on the emulator and the video quality was pretty bad. The things that came out for GBA were so cool and neat.

dragon-ball-gt-volume-1-gba-video-1.jpg

EmulatorLover

3ds master race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my current collection:

1. 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker
  2. Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
  3. Bloody Roar: Primal Fury
  4. Donkey Konga
  5. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
  6. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2
  7. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  8. F-Zero GX
  9. Geist
  10. Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters
  11. Killer 7
  12. Kirby Air Ride
  13. Lego Star Wars
  14. Luigi's Mansion
  15. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
  16. Mario Party 5
  17. Mario Power Tennis
  18. Mario Smash Football
  19. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
  20. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  21. Pokémon Colosseum
  22. Rayman 3
  23. Resident Evil 4
  24. Sega Soccer Slam
  25. Shrek 2
  26. Sonic Adventure 1: DX
  27. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
  28. Soul Calibur 2
  29. Spider-Man 2
  30. Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly
  31. Star Fox: Adventures
  32. Star Fox: Assault
  33. Super Mario: Sunshine
  34. Super Monkey Ball
  35. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  36. The Sims: Bust Out
  37. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  38. Wave Race: Blue Storm
I'd very much like to own a copy of Gadget Racers, Frogger Beyond and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance but these three games go for ridiculously expensive prices. I could always get the PS2 version of Gadget Racers but I'd buy it more as a collectible.

Most multiplatforms I have are on Original Xbox and a few on PS2, not a whole lot on GameCube.
pikmin bro its amazing and simpsons road rage

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP

I want to order I-Ninja but it's NTSC-U/C only and the prices get hiked up due to the shipping.

I can recommend

Mega Man Network Transmission

Might not be for everyone but I actually liked it a lot more than the normal Megaman Games.

Oh, I just played some of Mega Man: Network Transmission today. It's... It's different but good. Definitely better than Mighty No. 9. :P

Btw, got the Sonic Gems Collection like yesterday and I thought there'd be all the Sonic retro games but no, that's what the 'Mega Collection' is for too.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, got the Sonic Gems Collection like yesterday and I thought there'd be all the Sonic retro games but no, that's what the 'Mega Collection' is for too
Unless you get the ps2 or xbox sonic mega collection, is not much to miss. Those versions titled "Sonic mega collection plus" has 6 additional game gear games (with the other 6 obviously in gems collection.) And has comix zone and the ooze, savestates and game hints (cheats) and more content i guess. A better purchase in my opinion, just like how megaman anniversary collection on xbox has more content, but still has same ammount of games.

Best to get the japanese version of sonic gems collection as it offers more. The ps2 is japanese exclusive though havs the same stuff on both. Japanese one has all 3 streets of rage (bare knuckle) games especially the easier and uncensored third game, and bonanza bros. Which i could care less for honestly, is jist bizarre. The 6 game gear games from mega collection plus and 7 sonic genesis games are also on here, but is timed trials much like the smash bros classic games run by virtual console. If you can use codes like a action replay or the homebrew gecko codes to gain infinite time, is basically possible to play the whole game with no restriction.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Definite +1 for Baten Kaitos 1 and 2. Both awesome. Such a fun unique combat system. Really beautiful artstyle too imo. Voice acting not too amazing but hey...can't win 'em all. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Mega Man X collection if you haven't played it elsewhere, and Mega Man X: Command Mission if you like MM and turn based. Really fun. Haven't played it since I was younger but I remember it being stupid hard sometimes.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definite +1 for Baten Kaitos 1 and 2. Both awesome. Such a fun unique combat system. Really beautiful artstyle too imo. Voice acting not too amazing but hey...can't win 'em all. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Mega Man X collection if you haven't played it elsewhere, and Mega Man X: Command Mission if you like MM and turn based. Really fun. Haven't played it since I was younger but I remember it being stupid hard sometimes.
All capcom RPGs are hard.... and by all i mean only the very few. (Breath of fire series, Mega man legends, Battle network, starforce...) I think they were all made by the same team who developed breath of fire, least megaman legends was. :P

Basically the rpg games reward you very little for doing well and punish you very heavily for doing poor.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Here are a couple you may be interested in:
  • Chibi-Robo: Plug into Adventure
  • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
  • Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
  • Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest
  • Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
  • Mr. Driller: Drill Land
  • Sonic Heroes
  • Wave Race: Blue Storm
  • WarioWare Inc. Mega Party Game$
  • Amazing Island
  • Donkey Konga*
  • Donkey Konga 2*
  • Donkey Konga 3*
  • Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat*
* - Requires DK Bongo controller

Also, on the GBA controller issue: If you have a GCN > GBA link cable, you can play GBA games via the Game Boy Player on your Gamecube without an issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse