Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I suspect these played a part:
1) MK is a popular series.
2) The Switch is selling better.
3) It was released close to launch.
4) The Switch is more portable than the Wii U.

Shouldn't really, not only are they very popular series but they are also multiplatform.

I know someone who bought a PS4 on launch because of FIFA.
I know they're popular, but I still don't understand why.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much more can you be creative with football and soccer to make each yearly game different? All you can really do is update the roster. Maybe some side game modes, but they already do that.

You can't really have a story line either. You can't really do much different with sports games.

Sure you can.. And you can have Handegg and Soccer games that are things besides... Simulation. We need some good old fashion Arcade style games back. I miss games like NFL Blitz and the likes.

Also, there is absolutely no reason you can't have a story mode in a sports simulation game.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Sure you can.. And you can have Handegg and Soccer games that are things besides... Simulation. We need some good old fashion Arcade style games back. I miss games like NFL Blitz and the likes.

Also, there is absolutely no reason you can't have a story mode in a sports simulation game.
What would the story be?

Lebron is begging Kobe to come out of retirement. But Kobe has a dark past thats preventing him from coming back. He was raped by the team mascot. Jack Nicolson ordered a hit on Shaq because he hates him as a TNT analyst. Your goal is to settle their differences in a game of Basketball. Every time their is conflict its settled in Basketball. Even people thats never played in their life. Basketball.

I mean the story right now in 2k is to become an NBA champion. And thats it. Nothing more you can do with it. Steph Curry having conflict with his coach? "I can do it if you believe in me coach. Believe in the Curray. Belieeeeve!"

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

Based on what I've seen from others:
1) Staying up to date (particularly with FIFA where teams change)
2) Habit
3) Multiplayer
4) IIRC FIFA has more licensed teams

Multiplayer in particular is likely a big draw, I thought Halo 3's SP was mediocre but when I tell people they always think I'm wrong despite their opinion being based around MP (which is more enjoyable in comparison).

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whether MK8 is a good or bad game is a moot point. I personally think it's an incredible game that is miles better than any of its predecessors (coming from someone who LOVED MK7 and Double Dash). However, the Switch version is a lazy port given the price of a full new game release, even when they've done weird sh** like make all the cups unlocked by default and introduced "smart steering", which is absolutely bonkers given that you can turn it off/on at any point during an online match, and so you're not grouped with people who have the same setting. How does anyone get to play fairly and competitively that way? Why is Nintendo so completely set on making these nonsensical decisions to try to appeal to everybody when all it does is turn serious fans away?

Last edited by Lucifer666,

ATofix

Sloth. That's it.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FIFA sold the most copies!? I get call of duty cause peasants like my cousins refuse to play anything else than that and pick it up every year but FIFA? Really?

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would the story be?

Lebron is begging Kobe to come out of retirement.

Kobe sucked. Sorry Laker fans its the truth. Kobe was never the best player in any given season. He wasn't even the best SG in any given season of his. He was just a very consistent ballhog who lasted very long 1996-2011...

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
COD is a repetitive yearly release, but at the very least you know it's got a new campaign and MP maps. FIFA on the other hand, is just a roster update.

It's staggering that COD can sell more copies in 2 weeks than Zelda in 37 weeks.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
COD is a repetitive yearly release, but at the very least you know it's got a new campaign and MP maps. FIFA on the other hand, is just a roster update.

It's staggering that COD can sell more copies in 2 weeks than Zelda in 37 weeks.

lol not really. CoD is the ultimate kids game

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Both are primitive crap for filthy noobcasuls. So I guess nintendo fanboys have more of those among their ranks.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess my point is Activision/Sledgehammer actually put significant time and resources into building the game, as derivative as it might be. EA Sports just slap new names on the Jerseys and call it a day.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess my point is Activision/Sledgehammer actually put significant time and resources into building the game, as derivative as it might be. EA Sports just slap new names on the Jerseys and call it a day.
Don't forget incrementally changing the physics so it doesn't look like a complete scam.

Reactions: Obveron

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Activision has three Devs working on each new call of duty game. Each goes through a 3 year dev cycle. So yeah, it's a bit better than EA Sports.. But not by much.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pick a random on the street and ask him about Mario Kart. I bet he knows atleast something about it. Now ask about Horizon Zero Dawn and get a blank expression.

As hyped as HZD seemed within certain PS4 communities, most plebs have never heard of it. People who don't really play video games, the same people who bought the Wii because they saw Bowling once, are buying the Switch and Mariokart. Hopefully it's also getting enough core gamers to keep the Switch alive, because as many people who thought the Wii was a massive success, it actually collected dust in many casuals homes.

Some accountants thought the original Kinect was a massive success because it sold well enough at launch, but the actual people who owned it knew it was a flop. Then the Xbone came out and MS wrongly assumed the Kinect 2 was a good idea, as if they did zero research if people were actually enjoying the Kinect 1.

My point is spiraling out of control here, I guess I'm saying initial sales of trendy systems, which I'll include the Switch, can be misleading.

Last edited by Obveron,

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why the "LOL Somehow"? Basically flamebait.

Anyway, Mario is the most popular videogame character and the Switch has been doing very well. At the moment, the Switch's pool of games is relatively small. Anything with Mario's face on it will sell very well on the Switch right now. Zero surprise that MK8 did so well.

HZD, on the other hand, is a brand new IP and the PS4 has a million games to choose from. The fact that it did this good is amazing.

Reactions: shaunj66

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water