Living under the sea?

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The first problem is that high speed communication is mostly cut off from the surface, which means the environment is semi-isolated. Electromagnetic wave will get absorbed quickly, and sonic comes with several seconds of delay. Light / electric cable would require constant care not to mention if the later leak as salt water is very conductive.
The second is the massive pressure in mid of the ocean, which the material is as expansive as say those used in space programs. 100 atmosphere is no joke, and that's just 1 kilometer (less due to higher density) below the surface. All the creatures there can easily resist the pressure which means our standard weaponry is useless not to mention their huge sizes compared to their fresh water or shore counterpart. And the predators can penetrate that kind of shell or even skin, which means it can as easily chew through our vehicles. Then there is geological factor, the temperature, the makeup, and not to mention the constant rusting with which be worsen if we try to zap the fish as that is the only viable option I can think of besides torpidos.
The third is food source, as creatures are hard to kill or even fend off. We need teams dedicated to food production/ hunting and we need to set up power supply from the surface or develop some alternative source. (being really close to deeper layers does have perks, for example huge amount of thermal)
The fourth is the ocean might already be occupied. Though even someone insane like me is skeptical about the possibilities.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a horror movie, can't remember the name. Maybe it was a book? The setting was an undersea research base. Bad stuff starts happening, and the researchers start getting picked off one-by-one.

It's like a space base. It can't survive without ground support, but it can survive for a long time indeed with ground support.

People who know what they're doing see it as pointless, or not a cost efficient way to do research anyway, so one isn't built.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You know most high speed telecommunications and internet is not sent as electromagnetic signals over the air, but it actually travels using several transatlantic undersea cables, don't you?
Well, you can hijack those cables.
Starving, imploding, and drowning might still be a problem, but you have your hispeed internet secured!

Reactions: TVL

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea

Reactions: Ritsuki

VzUh

you are now reading my custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
pop-underwaterhouse.jpg

the simpsons and their predictions...

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know most high speed telecommunications and internet is not sent as electromagnetic signals over the air, but it actually travels using several transatlantic undersea cables, don't you?
Well, you can hijack those cables.
Starving, imploding, and drowning might still be a problem, but you have your hispeed internet secured!
The city will need to be much deeper than cables, and dedicated cables Will possibly both act as means of energy delivery and data transfer.
High pressure can lead to crumbling which compresses volume and leak Will flood the interor not to mention the pressure is almost comparable to water cutter given enough depth.
It's not really about the Internet. Though I guess using sound is good enough For basic communications.

Last edited by Yil,

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There was a horror movie, can't remember the name. Maybe it was a book? The setting was an undersea research base. Bad stuff starts happening, and the researchers start getting picked off one-by-one.
The Abyss or Sphere?

And I think the pressure would be a bigger problem than the quality of your Netflix.

Reactions: puss2puss

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me