Hardware Liquid under 3ds xl top screen...

xtreme1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i got a nice new 3ds xl and wanted to protect it with a skinomi screen protector. Bottom went on fine, top took a little bit more. Since these are wet screen protectors i guess i got the top one too wet andnow even after i removed the top scren protector I have lots of little black spots all over the inside of the screen.

I put it under a hair dryer on warm for about an hour and now moved it to some brown rice. Anyone have any other tips?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...wet screen protectors? Sounds dangerous. :mellow:

I've never seen any of those around here - all I've seen are dry. Water and electronics don't generally go well together, unless we're talking about a kettle, I suppose. :unsure:

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can open the 3DS XL, and there is a plastic cover over the LDC screen. Try wiping it off with a microfiber cloth.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can open the 3DS XL, and there is a plastic cover over the LDC screen. Try wiping it off with a microfiber cloth.
While this is good advice, more often than not opening the system and wiping it like that introduces a lot of dust onto the screen and it's surprisingly hard to get it clean again. What I would to would be putting the system in a dry sock and burrying it in rice over a couple of nights - it should get rid of the moisture.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is good advice, more often than not opening the system and wiping it like that introduces a lot of dust onto the screen and it's surprisingly hard to get it clean again. What I would to would be putting the system in a dry sock and burrying it in rice over a couple of nights - it should get rid of the moisture.

True, but unless he used distilled water it can still leave spots after drying. That is why I suggested microfiber (or any other dust free cloth) will work. Also a pair of rubber gloves to keep fingerprints off it wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
True, but unless he used distilled water it can still leave spots after drying. That is why I suggested microfiber (or any other dust free cloth) will work. Also a pair of rubber gloves to keep fingerprints off it wouldn't hurt.
Very true. I guess it all depends on whether there will or will not be any marks and whether he can or can't open the system.

xtreme1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did that. It's in the LCD, no water under it.

Very true. I guess it all depends on whether there will or will not be any marks and whether he can or can't open the system.
Yeah. I knew that would be the catch. Of course there is dust under it now, but that is a small price to pay for trying to fix the wet screen itself.

Since it is a holiday in the States until Monday, I will be leaving it locked in a air tight ziplock until tuesday. (tried to pickup some silica gel, but couldnt find any locally)

Since it is in the screen itself, I really just have zero hope it will actually do anything. It is also not distilled water, but a clear drying solution made by Skinomi. The irony is I actually already applied a skinomi protector before, with no issue. They tend to look good.

Cant embed the image, but here is what I'm dealing with: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dwru9mw4ixnh1f/20140831_090026.jpg?dl=0

xtreme1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am in complete shock, the screen is actually about 90% better after a full day in rice.

But get this. Now my hinge broke. Somehow sitting in rice all day has broken my hinge. WTF.

SOOOO.... Anyone know how to fix a 3DS XL hinge? The hinge still works at the 120 degree angle and the 180 holds it somewhat, but the usable angle, the 170 degree angle click just disappeared.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: