Custom Title
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I prefer Linux. A unimaginably small list of malware and the easiness to theme GNOME and other window managers.
And you have choices. And one of the biggest pluses for me is repositories. All the software I'd need and more.

I don't know what people are saying when they say Linux isn't user-friendly or ready for the desktop.
I think Ubuntu should be a mainstream OS.

(Plus we have the always-funny Linus Torvalds, who calls Digg-users wanking walruses, the OpenBSD crowd masturbating monkeys and who said "If you don't agree with me then you are both ugly and stupid.")

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're asking for a flamewar
ph34r.gif

Anyway, back on topic, I believe in freedom. That should say enough. Too bad I'm a gamer too, and the linux support of games is the single reason to still use Windows in a private environment.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dual Boot
I had a Tri-Boot but there really was no point to having Windows XP so I removed it

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I prefer Linux Myself. I use Debian and recently switched to using Fluxbox rather than a full-blown DE, and so far I like it much better.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Diablo1123 said:
I've been planning to set up a Dual boot Ubuntu/XP, but don't know if I should wait for the next version of Ubuntu, or not.
And I'm lazy.

For gaming, Linux is horrible.
You should just install the current version. It's LTS, so you won't need to update for another three years. Also, you can always update to 8.10 later.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Most people in here will have only ever used windows, and have no reason to be in this debate.

Also, a lot of "linux" users will have only used ubuntu, and therefore can't really have a non-biased opinion.

So, this debate is doomed. Doomed!

nekkutta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on our primary desktop running dual boot XPSP2 (mainly for my dad) and Slackware 12 (mainly for me)
biggrin.gif

and my ~800GB file-server runs nothing but:
normalSW.jpg

I prefer Linux
biggrin.gif

nekkutta

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
arctic_flame said:
Most people in here will have only ever used windows, and have no reason to be in this debate.

Also, a lot of "linux" users will have only used ubuntu, and therefore can't really have a non-biased opinion.

well then which linux would you use?

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Linux for everything that is not related to gaming (not counting bunches of nice free games that are freeware either for linux or multiplatform).
Windows for Gaming, but who'd bother with gaming on PC when there are those nifty consoles around.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
juggernaut911 said:
arctic_flame said:

well then which linux would you use?

I use Linux Mint.

genofunk

Trophies
Website
genofunk.kodingen.com
XP
Country
United States
if you've never used linux before or want to teach people/kids to use it or how it works, dslinux (for nds, not damn small linux) would be a good distro to try first. read the wiki on dslinux.org to learn how to use commands, compile, blah. sure you can do that with any distro but the ds gimmick might get people who aren't really interested in how computers or operating systems work (ie, kids/windows users) interested in learning and it also forces you to use a command line interface.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Linux is a better operational system overall.. it's more stable, has a better resource management and it's free and open to you to do whatever you want with it!

Linux can run games as good or better than Windows if they're made natively for it.. unfortunately, the huge majority of PC users use Windows, so no company cares about doing Linux versions of their games.. hence, Linux has almost no games :/

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm the Homeless said:
Personally, I prefer Linux. A unimaginably small list of malware and the easiness to theme GNOME and other window managers.
And you have choices. And one of the biggest pluses for me is repositories. All the software I'd need and more.

I don't know what people are saying when they say Linux isn't user-friendly or ready for the desktop.
I think Ubuntu should be a mainstream OS.

(Plus we have the always-funny Linus Torvalds, who calls Digg-users wanking walruses, the OpenBSD crowd masturbating monkeys and who said "If you don't agree with me then you are both ugly and stupid.")

I'm curious about what you mean where you say there are choices. Windows users have plenty of choices for most every piece of software as well. In fact more choices in most cases.

Linux is kinda just a toy for me when I've used it. I play around with it but never get anything really done with it. It hasn't really been stable enough for me no matter what version I've tried on various systems (desktop and laptop). This includes Ubuntu. I either have problems with freezing, kernel panics, etc or it runs very slowly. I know the computers I have tried it on aren't top of the line but XP does pretty well on them so I except at least the same performance. Linux is supposed to be less bloated, more stable, etc. but from my experiences it is the opposite. But if it works for others and they like it then great for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool