Let's Prevent World War 3!

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by Mr. Mysterio, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Is anyone still doing this? I feel like it's not much of a difference if I'm the only one

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I am

3. Konno Ryo

Konno Ryo gbatemp's clueless butler?

Aug 5, 2015
    Canada
    Somewhere?
    I'm still using Tor without sharing bandwith, but for downloading "files" I have found that I2P works better.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Why is DDOSing a US government funded service going to help the world? https://www.torproject.org/about/sponsors.html.en

Granted I did read the OP at the time and it was a bunch of nonsense, and the stuff espoused then still is.

5. jamieyello

jamieyello Professional Dumbass

Mar 11, 2013
    United States
    Got em lol

It could have worked but we needed more in the coverage department.

I hear news networks are good at pushing biased news on an uninformed people. We could still make it happen, we'd just need coverage. Like doing something controversial on purpose just to get on the news. MSNBC would call us evil or something, then we'd be Fox's heroes, then we'd have armchair intellectuals discussing the morality of taking down the anonymous internet while thousands of people start DDOSing Tor.

Granted I like Tor and if we had the world volunteer to DDOS it for us I would be sad. Plus the more you think about it ISIS would just start using some other kind of communication.

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    im sure there is some half decent coders who sympathize with ISIS who could knock together a sophisticated encrypted communications protocol, and any actual important intel is probably relayed via offline or heavily coded means, i doubt they just pop on skype to talk about their super terrorist plans, plus any decent DDOS attacks generally require the use of botnets of thousands of computers, and im sure certain organizations/governments already have huge resources being used to target any private browsing solutions, a few people downloading ubuntu isn't going to be doing much except slowing down the specific nodes your being routed through, and im not too sure about the specifics of tor but i would imagine they already have some sort of traffic management to mitigate any basic DDOS attempts

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Arguably this would not be a basic DDOS attempt -- the ideal such attack is thousands of unique IPs generating traffic that is functionally indistinguishable from real traffic. This would theoretically be that, and with the nature of torrents and modern extensions to the protocol to dodge ISP level DPI and blocks it is not even as though they could go that way.

Nice talk relevant as of this little aside

8. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Any confirmation if the OP got kidnapped by ISIS? seems really fucked since his last action on the net was this thread

9. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Don't be silly. Also don't necrobump.

Last edited by Deboog, Jan 12, 2017
  10. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Meh just a mini necro only 4 months old. Also it's EoF so not like it matters

Last edited by KevinX8, Jan 12, 2017
  11. jamieyello

jamieyello Professional Dumbass

Mar 11, 2013
    United States
    Did Isis leave their dirthuts to come to TC? The tragic irony is TC could have used tor to hide his location.

He'll probably show up five months from now posting in the topic.

Anyway a DDoS attack would have probably worked pretty well. I think they're typically implemented is spreading a dormant virus to other people's hardware and run the attacks using other people's bandwidth, but even then that would just be a minor inconvenience to anyone using it since the virus would eventually get found and gotten rid of. I don't think you could have convinced the public to voluntarily help you DDoS tor, most people smart enough to know what tor is doesn't want it to go away, anyone ignorant enough would be too afraid they'd get bombed or killed by a hitman.

Nov 20 2015 he was last seen, does that date mean the last time he logged in, or the last time he posted? If the former then maybe that's a little weird.

12. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    last login, yeah really weird, all his other online accounts are dead too like his github etc. Really did disappear off the net

13. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    Thats a con in my book

14. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    [​IMG]

Also ddosing a network created by the CIA is really stupid, It was designed to catch criminals without putting them off if they saw the IP of some office in the CIA lol and if only the CIA used Tor obviously every Tor IP = CIA IP. That's why they opened tor to the public, to make it actually useful. Just because ISIS use it for evil thosen't mean you should forgot what it's orginal purpose was

Last edited by KevinX8, Jan 12, 2017
  15. souler92

souler92 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    you do know isis was created by the government...?

i mean, it only takes a few years untill trump gets his own muslim terrorist group....

bush had sadamn a.k.a. al qauda? obama had osama? and now isis, whats next?

Last edited by souler92, Jan 12, 2017
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  16. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Yeah IK just waiting till 20th when Der Fuhrer Rump gives them the AOK to begin WW3

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And I find that to be absolute and subhuman shit, anyone who is involved with that kind of garbage deserves to :creep:

Last edited by the_randomizer, Jan 12, 2017
  18. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Takes a comment in EoF seriously. Later dies of osteoporosis. RIP

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States