Let's Prevent World War 3!

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by Mr. Mysterio, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Why not take it a step further? Evil people are using the internet right now so let's sabotage a major internet backbone!

7iven8Nine, BDS, clank and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr. Mysterio
    OP

Mr. Mysterio Super Genius

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    Rosalina's Comet Observatory
    Yes, there are many evil people in the world, but I'm comparing ISIS to Nazi Germany. The Nazis wanted to exterminate all non-aryan people, especially Jews. ISIS wants to exterminate all non-Radical-Muslim people, especially Christians. In the time of Nazi Germany, there were of course many non-Nazi evil people in the world doing evil things, just like now. However, the Nazis posed a much greater threat to the future of the free world than any independent evil people. I think ISIS should be viewed the same way. Another thing to consider is what the consequences would be of sabotaging the entire internet. (If it were even possible, which I doubt.) If it were done, that would be a MAJOR problem in the lives of almost every person in the world. However, taking down Tor would have absolutely no effect on many people's lives.

EDIT: Approximately 1 out of every 3500 people in the world would be affected if Tor were to stop working.

Last edited by Mr. Mysterio, Nov 20, 2015
  3. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Evil people breathe air - let's get rid of that as well!

4. Konno Ryo

Konno Ryo gbatemp's clueless butler?

Aug 5, 2015
    Canada
    Somewhere?
    Better start sucking.:rofl2:

Mr. Mysterio and Subtle Demise like this.
  5. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    That's what she said ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    So we're gonna DDoS the Dark Web? Let's do it

7. jamieyello

jamieyello Professional Dumbass

Mar 11, 2013
    United States
    Yeah you better have nothing to lose when you take on all of the dark web (and all who inhabit it). :P

You know, that place where people sell drugs, weapons, recruit terrorists, hit men... I don't know tc, posting your plans on a public forum might not be subtle enough. If you successfully take down the dark web, and anyone important sees this, you might just be a dead man. If you keep pursuing this, I'm not saying you shouldn't, you really should be prepared for what people are going to try to throw at you. AKA make yourself completely untraceable.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Most of that stuff is fake btw. The real ones are as difficult to get into as a warez scene topsite, if not harder.

9. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Doesn't Tor anonymize your connection, though?

10. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    In theory. There's plenty of ways anonymity can be compromised, and quite easily.

I admire OP's intentions, however misguided they may be, but even if you could possibly manage to interrupt the network for a significant amount of time, think about all the people who are using it for innocent reasons (yes, I include silkroad and the like in the list of innocent sites).

Last edited by Subtle Demise, Nov 23, 2015
    clank and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  11. TLOZmaster

TLOZmaster GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Hyrule
    This would be devious and fun :D I am in cx

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  12. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    What kind of innocent reasons would there be for using Tor? If you're undercover and with the government there's their own secure network. I can't think of anything legal that would ever happen on the Deep/Dark Web that couldn't happen just as easily without the extra layers of anonymity that Tor provides

TLOZmaster likes this.
  13. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Well legality doesn't always equate to morality, and buying drugs online is a victimless crime, and depending what you do under the influence, using them can be too.

The "dark web" myth has been perpetuated by scaremongers who want to have it banned completely, along with bitcoins. Red rooms, if they even exist, would be impossible to get into without knowing somebody irl. The absolute worst thing you'll ever find on the deep web is cp and authorities all over the world can find the site owners and have then prosecuted and the site taken down.

The deep web is also a good place to express disgust with the government without fear of being persecuted as a terrorist. In fact, there was recently a revolution against a corrupt regime orchestrated through the deep web.

Short version: deep web is just unindexed sites, likely run by paranoid people and conspiracy theorists, nothing more.

Last edited by Subtle Demise, Nov 24, 2015
    air2004 likes this.
  14. roseputter

roseputter Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015

Last edited by roseputter, Nov 26, 2016
  15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
  16. asian flavor

asian flavor Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    You are exposing yourself by doing this. The reason behind not using TOR for torrent is that it will exposed your IP address since Bittorrent software could/will bypass the SOCKS protocol. And you think this is going to take out TOR...that's funny. Read this article and this research site for more info. There are several ways to encrypt messaging people that does not involve TOR. Awesome that you want to help get rid of ISIS, but you are putting everyone that does this into danger of exposing themselves.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  17. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    The only things attackers used were Playstation Network and SMS messages.

18. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    The other day on the news did Obama say we are or aren't going to war with ISIS. I know he said we weren't but it sure as hell sounded like a declaration of war or some shit.

19. Alternator47

Alternator47 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    Almost forgot this was the EOF...

20. jamieyello

jamieyello Professional Dumbass

Mar 11, 2013
    United States
Thread Status: