Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to have a $19.99 DLC pack

zeldaheader2 (1).jpg

Nintendo's latest Zelda game has just gotten an interesting bit of news. The title will be launching with an Expansion Pass which will allow access to two DLC packs that will be available later this year in 2017. Pre-purchasing the Expansion Pass now will cause three treasure chests to appear in the world, with extra items. One of which being an outfit for Link, which has the Nintendo Switch logo on it. The first DLC pack for the game is set to launch this Summer, and will include a new Hard Mode, a challenge, and a new in-game map feature. The second pack will launch Holiday 2017 and will have a brand new Story addition and a new dungeon. Both the Switch and the Wii U will be getting these DLCs.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo Switch and Wii U consoles is one of the largest, most engaging video games Nintendo has ever created. While the main game offers players an engrossing quest that will keep them entertained for hours, as well as the freedom to explore the vast Hyrule at their own pace, the game world provides a rich canvas that offers the opportunity for additional adventures. As a result, the first-ever downloadable content for the main-line Legend of Zelda series is in development.

Starting when The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. (Graphic: Business Wire)

Starting when the game launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game’s Great Plateau area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two will deliver useful items. The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer, and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story. The Expansion Pass will be available for both the Nintendo Switch and Wii U versions of the game and are identical. Content packs cannot be purchased individually.

“The world of Hyrule, which we created for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, is so large and vibrant that we wanted to offer more for players to experience within it,” said Nintendo developer Eiji Aonuma, the longtime producer of the series. “With this new Expansion Pass, we hope that fans will play, explore and enjoy the game even more.”

Aonuma also created a brief video to share more details about the Expansion Pass. It can be viewed at http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=4&md5=8eaa4ec7c77e62fcb4c0b16700a2b3ff.

For more information about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=5&md5=25c10a84a5cc09f20e1418056380e331.

Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=6&md5=7f0306c430dd0cf8360bf01681f9559d.

:arrow: Eiji Aonuma made a video to explain the DLC here

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow... ITT, a bunch of entitled brats.

Oh, they announced paid DLC before the game's release? Terrible. Oh, Nintendo is doing paid DLC? Alert the authorities!

To you tools saying "I'm gonna pirate it now". Really? Grow up.
Ya because paying for hard mode is totally fine. Keep encouraging this, and normal mode might also become a payable DLC.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Ya because paying for hard mode is totally fine. Keep encouraging this, and normal mode might also become a payable DLC.
Such a narrow mind. You paid extra for Master Quest. You didn't bitch about that, now did you? It's amazing how little you all understand about this. This isn't 20 fucking years ago when it was nowhere near as costly to develop these games. Back when a Big Mac was a dollar (it's now $4).

You're also not paying for just hard mode. $20 for extra content and more story? Hm. Back then we called this an expansion pack that ran the price of the fucking game itself.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
No one bitched when The Last of Us did it: http://thelastofus.wikia.com/wiki/Grounded_Bundle

So why are people bitching when Zelda does it?
I'm fairly sure it's because people already knew they loved that game, knew it was well worth the original price tag to begin with, and knew they would enjoy more of the game they already love. If people had been given time to fall in love with BotW, I think things would've gone the same way.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm fairly sure it's because people already knew they loved that game, knew it was well worth the original price tag to begin with, and knew they would enjoy more of the game they already love. If people had been given time to fall in love with BotW, I think things would've gone the same way.
Theyre not forcing you to buy the dlc to play the game. You'll have plenty of time to decide if it's worth it or not.

Reactions: Supster131

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Still kind of a double standard though. Sony and MS doing it is okay, but Nintendo doing it is an unpardonable crime.

It's not like you're being forced.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Such a narrow mind. You paid extra for Master Quest. You didn't bitch about that, now did you? It's amazing how little you all understand about this. This isn't 20 fucking years ago when it was nowhere near as costly to develop these games. Back when a Big Mac was a dollar (it's now $4).

You're also not paying for just hard mode. $20 for extra content and more story? Hm. Back then we called this an expansion pack that ran the price of the fucking game itself.
Holy crap. Disagreeing with Nintendo means you're narrow-minded. Firstly, I got Master Quest for free with my Wind Waker copy. Secondly, Nintendo is(was now) known to deliver games in full package, no extras to be paid for. This DLC has more story, and dungeons which could've already been included the game initially.

I love Nintendo, and will always buy their consoles, but too much blinded fanboyism is going on with this.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But like with Zelda, the Season Pass was released at launch alongside the game. The hard mode for Zelda isn't coming out until the Summer, the "grounded" mode for TLOU didn't come out until a bit after as well.
So what's the difference? You have enough time to find out if BOTW is a good game before buying any DLC.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nobody paid extra for Master Quest, it was free for preordering Wind Waker and a Big Mac cost about $2.50 in the late nineties which is about the same buying power as almost $4 today. And please don't try to tell me that Nintendo hasn't already covered development costs with prorders alone. What amounts to content that is normal for Zelda games and one extra dungeon for a fourth of the game's price is ridiculous by any standard. All DLC is a scam and the fact that people not only buy it but defend it is disgusting.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo is(was now) known to deliver games in full package, no extras to be paid for. This DLC has more story, and dungeons which could've already been included the game initially
this isnt the first time nintendo has offered dlc. the game is still a full package, the dlc is just a way to extend your experience if you want even more. its completely optional. if you dont want it, just dont get it. the content wouldnt have existed in the first place if it wasnt dlc

Reactions: Supster131
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry, why do people presume that it's fine to do this, just because Sony and Microsoft are? This is unacceptable regardless who does it, and if this keeps going. I look forward to the day where games will be released in DLC packages(already is happening now with some).

Last edited by insidexdeath,
Reactions: Nightwish

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm sorry, why do people presume that it's fine to do this, just because Sony and Microsoft are? This is unacceptable regardless who does it, and if this keeps going. I look forward to the day where games will be released in DLC pqckages(already is happening now with some).
you havent given any reason why its so "unacceptable"

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this isnt the first time nintendo has offered dlc. the game is still a full package, the dlc is just a way to extend your experience if you want even more. its completely optional. if you dont want it, just dont get it. the content wouldnt have existed in the first place if it wasnt dlc
Nintendo's previous DLCs were perfectly fine, because they were just additional characters, or maps. This DLC however is not. There's a big difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.