Hardware Left Analog Stick Issue

jastolze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I bought a used Vita off of Amazon and It works great, except when I'm in-game during Kill Zone Mercenary. Whenever I have it set to 'Move' I keep going forward. When I have it set to 'Aim', I keep looking up. I've tried doing a rebuild database, but no noticeable difference.

I'm not under warranty, since it's used. I'm curious if used game stores can fix the issue I'm having.

A quick note: My analog moves in any direction perfectly, meaning I don't notice any hardware issues with it, the analog stick can move in any direction with ease.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Could it be a game-only issue? I really don't want to send it to Sony for repairs because of the lengthy wait.

Any help is appreciated!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is it just the one game that thinks the analog is set to "up" or does it also happen in other apps, like the web browser or the store? If it's not a hardware issue and it's only this one game that's going nuts, make sure that you're starting the system with the stick in its neutral position.

jastolze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just the one game that thinks the analog is set to "up" or does it also happen in other apps, like the web browser or the store? If it's not a hardware issue and it's only this one game that's going nuts, make sure that you're starting the system with the stick in its neutral position.

I don't notice anything on the Web browser or the PS Store. What exactly is the Left stick used for in those situations? I know with the right one you can zoom in on web browser.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't notice anything on the Web browser or the PS Store. What exactly is the Left stick used for in those situations? I know with the right one you can zoom in on web browser.
The left stick can scroll websites in the browser and navigate the menus in the Store as well as the main menu if you set it to do so in the system. It's odd that this happens only to this one game - try enabling "Control with Buttons" in System Settings and tell me if the system goes nuts in the main menu as well. If it does, it's definitely a hardware issue.

jastolze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The left stick can scroll websites in the browser and navigate the menus in the Store as well as the main menu if you set it to do so in the system. It's odd that this happens only to this one game - try enabling "Control with Buttons" in System Settings and tell me if the system goes nuts in the main menu as well. If it does, it's definitely a hardware issue.

I already have that enabled. So, could it be a problem regarding the game itself? I bought a brand new Physical copy of the game, so I couldn't imagine that was the issue.

Edit: When I go under the PSN Settings, it does keep scrolling up by itself, but it doesn't do that in the main settings window...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I already have that enabled. So, could it be a problem regarding the game itself? I bought a brand new Physical copy of the game, so I couldn't imagine that was the issue.

Edit: When I go under the PSN Settings, it does keep scrolling up by itself, but it doesn't do that in the main settings window...
In that case the stick is probably stuck in some bizarre position as far as calibration is concerned. You could try entering Safe Mode and restoring default settings by clicking Restore the PSVita System, but the system will return to its factory default state, so be sure to back your content up using CMA first. If this fails, the system is damaged and you should return it - used or not, you were sold a defective unit which was not advertised as defective.

Reactions: Ozito

jastolze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case the stick is probably stuck in some bizarre position as far as calibration is concerned. You could try entering Safe Mode and restoring default settings by clicking Restore the PSVita System, but the system will return to its factory default state, so be sure to back your content up using CMA first. If this fails, the system is damaged and you should return it - used or not, you were sold a defective unit which was not advertised as defective.

What's CMA? And can't I just re-download the botzone thing if I've already purchased it? How difficult would it be to open the vita and replace it?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's the PSVita Content Manager Assistant, it will let you back all your content up, including save files. You can re-download the games and DLC from your Downloads List, if you wish, but CMA will likely be quicker and will also back your saves up.

As far as opening the system is concerned, there are some disassembly tutorials online, but you're performing such operations at your own risk - if you don't feel comfortable with that, it's easier to send the system to Sony or any local console repair store (if you have any near you).

jastolze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably just send it to Sony. Do you have any idea on how long the repairs will take? Thanks for all your help, Foxi.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll probably just send it to Sony. Do you have any idea on how long the repairs will take? Thanks for all your help, Foxi.
No clue - they'll take less if you describe your issue thoroughly and with a lot of details so that the engineers know what they're looking for. Thing is, it will probably cost you since it's an out-of-warranty repair - you might want to look for third-party repair stores before making a decision, they usually charge less for the same repair. As far as time is concerned, it might take anywhere between two weeks and a month. Contact Sony via their troubleshooting line to ask for further details and advice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I have seen the new 52 and dcau animated movies I think they take every opportunity to say his name "Dick", and they say it more often than should have been necessary
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    Good morning!
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works and isnt yet banned, mine got banned yesterday
  • A @ anotherthing:
    The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @StatusN, welcome
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey qwerty look at that you ain't the youngest here anymore
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Had a question on 3ds
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    will one still be able to transfer pokemon from the ds 3ds games to Switch
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Supposedly Bank isn't going down.
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    i know they are @anotherthing but i modded m y 3ds last month and i installed pretendo but as my 3ds got banned i need a friend seed to unblock my 3ds
  • A @ anotherthing:
    You got banned from Pretendo?
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    online ban
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @anotherthing I think Nintendo should have just re released all pokemon games on the switch
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    let you transfer it all
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    bank got shutdown in april last year
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, yea the only game they rereleased are the game boy and games boy color ones (remakes don't count)
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    does anyone have a friend seed link to a seed that isnt already banned and is new, if anyone does then thanks
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty I refuse to get Nintendo Switch online
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    until they add pokemon mainline games
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could very easily do so
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i meant that they got rereleased in virtual console in 3ds
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty why cant they do so for the switch :sad:
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    A @ anotherthing: Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.