Learning Japanese - The Nihongo FAQ

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Densetsu, May 1, 2011.

May 1, 2011
  1. Issac

Global Moderator Issac oh!

Sweden
    I tend to read Japanese lyrics to my favorite songs, browse random pages on wikipedia, and of course read manga.
    It all depends on your level though!

What are you trying to learn? Hiragana and katakana? If so, there are great quiz webpages to learn reading. Repeat over and over until you get it. It's really easy and doesn't take long at all until you start to recognize it well.
    Writing it? Just write the alphabet on graph paper over and over.

When it comes to Kanji it's a little bit more difficult (or complex). Writing flashcards to practice with, using rikaikun (for Chrome) to get dictionary help on Japanese pages.

Just when it comes to reading, or vocabulary in general, there are many good pages where you can learn a lot. Check out my section in the thread start (especially about japaneseclass.jp), and there are other sites that are even more detailed (but isn't completely free).

About motivation though: I just think it's fun. That's motivating enough for me.

heartysupper likes this.

2. Weyu

Member Weyu GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Find stuff that isn't available in English but you want to read it.

heartysupper likes this.
  3. Issac

Sweden
    Does anyone have any tips on Japanese vlogs or podcasts, with regular speech? I sometimes feel like I want to listen to some natives talking, without it being some sort of acting. Even if I wouldn't understand anything, just being immersed in the language like that while trying to fall asleep would be very interesting - but I've had no luck finding anything that suits me.

4. heartysupper

Newcomer heartysupper Member

United States
    In the past I listened to this podcast hosted by three high school girls from Hokkaido, it's called まりもえお. They still update the podcast, but very rarely. Be warned thought that it's full of girl-talks, as expected from high school girls, but I loved that through the years, I began to understand what they're talking about, little by little ;)

Issac likes this.
  5. PokeAcer

Member PokeAcer RiiConnect24 Developer

United Kingdom
    I'm going to start learning; it's a language I've wanted to learn for a LONG time :3

Issac likes this.
  6. Issac

Sweden
    Thank you, that's exactly what I'd be looking for. I don't mind girl talk at all, either :)

Good luck! Remember that you can ask anything here, and we'll try our best to help you out if you're stuck! がんばってね!

PokeAcer likes this.
  7. puss2puss

Member puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Canada
    Quite nice ! Its actually one of the language i wanted to learn but never really bothered..well, now migt be the time! As if now, when i see japanese letters it just seems like chinese to me! :P ..wichnisnt better lol.. need to find some ketter sheets i guess.. if not, where should instart to leanr the symbols?

8. Bad Bunny

Member Bad Bunny Boy from Japan

Japan
    Really funny thing is I got no problem with Japanese but I got an problem with my English(many time I been complaints with my Engrish....):ninja:

9. Attacker3

Member Attacker3 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Thanks for the guide, I will learn so I can watch Naruto without the subs!

10. Issac

Sweden
    Sorry for the late answer, I was sure I already did post a reply to this :S weird!

Well, Chinese and Japanese symbols are pretty much the same ;) I think you should learn Hiragana and Katakana first. That's really easy to memorize, and you can use a lot of online quizzes or whatever you want to practice. I like japaneseclass.jp.
    After that, you should learn how to write Kanji (Stroke order, left to right, up to down, that stuff), because then when you see something you don't know - you just use an app on your smartphone to draw it and you'll get to know what it is :)
    If it's characters on a computer screen, you can copy and paste the characters to jisho.org which is a dictionary.

11. kprovost7314

Member kprovost7314 I AM 14, NOT 25!

United States
    Does anyone recommend NHK World's "Easy Japanese"?

12. Issac

Sweden
    I have limited experience with that one, but I think it's good enough to start out with at least, to try it all out.
    I do believe that a proper textbook will be more beneficial in the long run, but NHK's free and easy lessons could be a compliment or a start. :)

What do you think yourself?

13. brigcaster

Member brigcaster GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Oh wow, I didn't know that this thread existed. I'll start digging for info :moogle:

14. Greymane

Member Greymane Lurking gbatemp pony

Netherlands
    Issac likes this.
  15. Issac

Sweden
    I agree, that's a really helpful site. At least for building vocabulary. (and learning the Kana and some Kanji).

16. Sliter

Member Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Brazil
    I have to get msyelf in really learning this ... I just learned few katakana playing pokemon in japanese :v doesn't helpmuch, I know ahaha

17. Marcus Aseth

Newcomer Marcus Aseth Advanced Member

Italy
    http://japaneseclass.jp is fairly limited in my opinion, it only contains 2100 vocabs you can quiz (I think the development of that site stopped long time ago) and I now know 4000 and growing at a rate of 6 every day, so you see the problem here :\

My favourite site and central stop for all the studies is https://www.renshuu.org/?insource=MarcusAseth (ignore my nickname in the link, is just that the site has achievments so if you register from there counts toward my achievment of invited users) uses SRS system like Anki, takes info from multiple online dictionaries therefore you have ALL the japanese vocabs and kanji, you can create personalized schedules (like one where you put only words from a particular game) or use the default JLPT words packs and much more, also huge grammar library therefore I found myself opening that more often than "A dictionary of Basic/Interediate/Advanced japanese grammar" and all that for free, while for the cheap price of 4$/month you also get access to the grammar quizzing, which work just like the vocab or kanji quizzes but is all about grammar, and since I started practicing with it my skill in translating sentences went up exponentially, before that I had knowledge of this 4000 words but fail to connect them correctly because I didn't realized what meaning was associated with a certain grammar point, now I'm just playing 世界樹の迷宮 (Etrian Odissey) like it is nothing, so totally worth imo if you are serious about this :)

Last edited by Marcus Aseth, Oct 23, 2016
    Sliter and Issac like this.
  18. Xexyz

Member Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Japan
    For anyone learning kanji out there I highly recommend Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course as it has all the Jōyō kanji and some other important ones. It has all the onyomi and kunyomi, has mnemonics for each kanji, and also gives you vocab to learn alongside each kanji (which you should be doing anyway).

Sliter and Issac like this.