Learning Japanese - The Nihongo FAQ

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Densetsu, May 1, 2011.

1. Issac

Issac oh!

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    I tend to read Japanese lyrics to my favorite songs, browse random pages on wikipedia, and of course read manga.
    It all depends on your level though!

What are you trying to learn? Hiragana and katakana? If so, there are great quiz webpages to learn reading. Repeat over and over until you get it. It's really easy and doesn't take long at all until you start to recognize it well.
    Writing it? Just write the alphabet on graph paper over and over.

When it comes to Kanji it's a little bit more difficult (or complex). Writing flashcards to practice with, using rikaikun (for Chrome) to get dictionary help on Japanese pages.

Just when it comes to reading, or vocabulary in general, there are many good pages where you can learn a lot. Check out my section in the thread start (especially about japaneseclass.jp), and there are other sites that are even more detailed (but isn't completely free).

About motivation though: I just think it's fun. That's motivating enough for me.

heartysupper likes this.

2. Weyu

Weyu GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2014
    Netherlands
    Find stuff that isn't available in English but you want to read it.

heartysupper likes this.
  3. Issac

Issac oh!

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Does anyone have any tips on Japanese vlogs or podcasts, with regular speech? I sometimes feel like I want to listen to some natives talking, without it being some sort of acting. Even if I wouldn't understand anything, just being immersed in the language like that while trying to fall asleep would be very interesting - but I've had no luck finding anything that suits me.

4. heartysupper

heartysupper Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    restaurant
    In the past I listened to this podcast hosted by three high school girls from Hokkaido, it's called まりもえお. They still update the podcast, but very rarely. Be warned thought that it's full of girl-talks, as expected from high school girls, but I loved that through the years, I began to understand what they're talking about, little by little ;)

Issac likes this.
  5. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Irrelevant idiot

GBAtemp Patron
    PokeAcer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    North East Wales
    I'm going to start learning; it's a language I've wanted to learn for a LONG time :3

Issac likes this.
  6. Issac

Issac oh!

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Thank you, that's exactly what I'd be looking for. I don't mind girl talk at all, either :)

Good luck! Remember that you can ask anything here, and we'll try our best to help you out if you're stuck! がんばってね!

PokeAcer likes this.
  7. puss2puss

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    Quite nice ! Its actually one of the language i wanted to learn but never really bothered..well, now migt be the time! As if now, when i see japanese letters it just seems like chinese to me! :P ..wichnisnt better lol.. need to find some ketter sheets i guess.. if not, where should instart to leanr the symbols?

8. Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny Bunny from Japan

Feb 27, 2016
    Japan
    Shinjuku
    Really funny thing is I got no problem with Japanese but I got an problem with my English(many time I been complaints with my Engrish....):ninja:

9. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    Thanks for the guide, I will learn so I can watch Naruto without the subs!

10. Issac

Issac oh!

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sorry for the late answer, I was sure I already did post a reply to this :S weird!

Well, Chinese and Japanese symbols are pretty much the same ;) I think you should learn Hiragana and Katakana first. That's really easy to memorize, and you can use a lot of online quizzes or whatever you want to practice. I like japaneseclass.jp.
    After that, you should learn how to write Kanji (Stroke order, left to right, up to down, that stuff), because then when you see something you don't know - you just use an app on your smartphone to draw it and you'll get to know what it is :)
    If it's characters on a computer screen, you can copy and paste the characters to jisho.org which is a dictionary.

11. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Does anyone recommend NHK World's "Easy Japanese"?

12. Issac

Issac oh!

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    I have limited experience with that one, but I think it's good enough to start out with at least, to try it all out.
    I do believe that a proper textbook will be more beneficial in the long run, but NHK's free and easy lessons could be a compliment or a start. :)

What do you think yourself?

13. brigcaster

brigcaster GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2015
    Greece
    Under the Moon
    Oh wow, I didn't know that this thread existed. I'll start digging for info :moogle:

14. Greymane

Greymane Lurking gbatemp pony

Jul 7, 2015
    Netherlands
    In your closet, watching you clop
    Issac likes this.
  15. Issac

Issac oh!

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    I agree, that's a really helpful site. At least for building vocabulary. (and learning the Kana and some Kanji).

16. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    I have to get msyelf in really learning this ... I just learned few katakana playing pokemon in japanese :v doesn't helpmuch, I know ahaha

17. Marcus Aseth

Marcus Aseth Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2013
    Italy
    http://japaneseclass.jp is fairly limited in my opinion, it only contains 2100 vocabs you can quiz (I think the development of that site stopped long time ago) and I now know 4000 and growing at a rate of 6 every day, so you see the problem here :\

My favourite site and central stop for all the studies is https://www.renshuu.org/?insource=MarcusAseth (ignore my nickname in the link, is just that the site has achievments so if you register from there counts toward my achievment of invited users) uses SRS system like Anki, takes info from multiple online dictionaries therefore you have ALL the japanese vocabs and kanji, you can create personalized schedules (like one where you put only words from a particular game) or use the default JLPT words packs and much more, also huge grammar library therefore I found myself opening that more often than "A dictionary of Basic/Interediate/Advanced japanese grammar" and all that for free, while for the cheap price of 4$/month you also get access to the grammar quizzing, which work just like the vocab or kanji quizzes but is all about grammar, and since I started practicing with it my skill in translating sentences went up exponentially, before that I had knowledge of this 4000 words but fail to connect them correctly because I didn't realized what meaning was associated with a certain grammar point, now I'm just playing 世界樹の迷宮 (Etrian Odissey) like it is nothing, so totally worth imo if you are serious about this :)

Last edited by Marcus Aseth, Oct 23, 2016
    Sliter and Issac like this.
  18. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    For anyone learning kanji out there I highly recommend Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course as it has all the Jōyō kanji and some other important ones. It has all the onyomi and kunyomi, has mnemonics for each kanji, and also gives you vocab to learn alongside each kanji (which you should be doing anyway).

Sliter and Issac like this.
  19. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    The site is actually still in development, along with a mobile app in the works, and vocab is still being added, just at a very slow rate since a certain number of people have to reach the highest level in order for more vocab/kanji to become available.

20. Issac

Issac oh!

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Indeed, japaneseclass.jp could be considered limited. but 2100 vocabs are still quite a lot to get you going. Any site that helps you to get started and motivated is good in my opinion.

I think the optimal learning material for me would be a general guideline with some quizzes and exercises. Instead of having text books going through all the boring "Hello, I am Smith, I take Japanese as my Major in University studies. Hajimemashite." time and time again, I want to be told: "Learn how the particle wa is used, example sources: some-site-dot-com, Genki chapter 1, blah blah". And then a few other points to learn. Then a few exercises about that.
    Next, list a few kanji to learn, with enough information to find them from different sources (listing the kanji number (that kodansha uses) and so on).
    Do a few quizzes. Recommend the reader to use a flash card app / website with SRS, with the kanji they just asked you to learn. Make it streamlined.
    Now, verb conjugation, then some more kanji.... and so on...
    I'm rambling, and having a migraine. Sorry for this text... But this is what I've always wanted, but never found. Maybe I should make my own site for that... Hmm...

Sliter likes this.