Learning code, where should I start?

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by gifi4, Aug 3, 2011.

Aug 3, 2011

mrwienerdog New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Just to be clear, I understand it is a markup language. You seem to be trying to show all of us your superiority with nailing me on semantics. I simply wanted to say that it is easy to WRITE. Pardon me for saying that it is extremely easy to code.

Also, I tried to make sure all of my post was completely correct (grammar), so you wouldn't have to show us how great you are at spelling and writing as well.

Mazor Z80 master arch

Message Count:
    Sweden
    You stated that HTML is a programming language, which is false. I don't see how it would be unreasonable, or why it would be considered an attempt to "show superiority", to correct a false bit of information in a thread covering a directly related topic.

I don't doubt your personal knowledge, in fact I think you most likely have a good idea of what HTML is judging from your post. However, this is a forum; everything posted is posted for every member and guest to read. With the exception of posts in non-serious topics, correcting posts stating factual errors is something I believe everyone should do when stumbling upon one. This goes for your, mine and everyone else's posts, regardless of whether it can be assumed that the author of the post actually does know the truth.
    • Newcomer

Satirical New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    +1, this is all very good advice, w3schools is amazing as well as cplusplus and learn-programming. Of course if you are very passionate about it and you'd like to have a career in it, try taking up a Degree in it, or doing a high-level course in Software Engineering.

I skipped VB and did some Web languages first, starting from the basics, HTML, then CSS, then eventually MySQL and Javascript, not too hard. Then I started on Java, which I love

Technik New Member

Message Count:
    United States

boondoklife New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents in on this topic:

First off you need to know what you are going to be "programming" and what platforms it will be run on. If you are aiming for a widely compatible language, and I mean beyond just mac/pc/linux/or web-browsers, I would aim for C/C++ as they tend to be the most useful. C is also a great place to start for wii programming!

Java is great for if you are working only on platforms that support it. I have written a couple apps in java and it is a nice and robust language.

If you are just looking to do website related stuff then good luck! You will not only have to learn the markup languages (HTML/CSS) but also javascript. In addition to those you will also have to contend with the cross-browser issues that come with web authoring/programming.

As for learning them, I usually find a "Sams teach yourself XXX" at the library and use that as a primer. They are not the be all end all and will have some bad examples, but for the most part they are decent. If you do happen to go with C or a similar language, make sure you look into buffer overflows and pointers as they can be some of the biggest beasts around.

soulx #eattherude

Message Count:
    Ashmore and Cartier Islands

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    C# all the way (not C++), and you could use TurboC to begin with.

Do some reads about programming, though. Or you won't understand anything.

i.e:

arrays, pointers, functions, cpu usage, variables, struct, etc.

boondoklife New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    @Coto, out of curiosity why do you say not c++?

KingBlank King of Nothing

Message Count:
    New Zealand
    Code academy is a great new website for learning java, new tutorials being added every now and then
    Wizerzak likes this.

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Message Count:
    Japan
    Khan Academy has a pretty good tutorial for python.

thiefb0ss New Member

Message Count:
    Russia
    I's go with Python, it's easy to learn and has built-in functionality in most Linux/GNU distros.

TehSkull Addict

Message Count:
    United States
    The most basic, yet comprehensive programming guide ever: http://www.greenteap...om/thinkpython/
    Honestly the whole deal about languages isn't that big a deal. I can think things through better in Python, but the language I use most of the time is Lua for the Corona SDK.
    Once you've learned what different concepts are (which is the main goal of ThinkPython, instead of just teaching you Python), for me it's just been a matter of browsing an API page and a touch of googlefu. Not the best way of getting things done, but an easy way for a beginner to handle multiple languages.

And I gotta say, Python is the most versatile language I've ever seen. Quick and dirty script? Of course. Game development? Simple. Web design? Can do. Twitter feed? Why the hell not?
    You name it, Python'll do it.
    Jaems likes this.

Peps New Member

Message Count:
    Ireland
    Personally I think Java is the best language to start off with, since it's easier to fix any errors in your code and quicker to dive into. Just download a standard Java IDE such as Eclipse and you're good to go. I'd stick to basic console applications for a good while, then have a look into stuff like Swing and maybe some graphical Java libraries. You can do quite a lot in Java, and Java is in fact one of the most popular languages in the development community. Java is pretty fast these days, cross-platform, and just much more easier to use.

I only recommend learning C/C++ when you actually understand the basics of a programming language. Most programming languages are pretty similar and only have a few differences between them. If you're able to use one programming language well, then you can easily adapt to others. The main reason to learn C/C++ is to really understand how memory works on a lower level, and if you really need a huge amount of power and finer control of memory (very unlikely for a newbie). In Java, memory management is completely hidden from the developer, but by learning C/C++ and how memory works, you can become a better developer in other languages. I guarantee you you're going to get a lot of memory-based errors when you're coding with C/C++. It's just not something that someone new to programming should have to deal with when they might not even know what a "for" conditional is.

Just to give some background about myself, I've recently finished a 4-year BSc. in Software Development (with Game Development added), and I'm currently working as a software developer in Ericsson.
    Coto likes this.
    • Banned

TomNook Banned!

Message Count:
    Denmark
    I CODE IN JAVA for Minecraft.
    I code my own client hack

urbanman2004 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    nice starting points... i will refer to this later
    • Newcomer

Guerillaz New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I've dabbled in Visual Basic and I have to say, my "Hello World" program is coming along nicely. LOL

I've only played with Visual Basic so I can't help too much but I am in college and looking into programming outside of my networking engineer major. Cisco is my b*tch now lol

Jaems New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I started with C then C++ then moved more toward web-dev, but like others in the thread have suggested, Python is a great scripting language to help introduce you to programming and also very versatile.

I strongly recommend you take a look at Zed Shaw's Learn Python The Hard Way. I know it sounds scary, but believe me when I say this is one the best introductions to programming that I've seen.

Ubuntuの刀 私の刀でくろ!

Message Count:
    United States
    since this thread is stickied, The New Boston is an excellent place in my opinion to learn how to code. Python, Java, C, C++, C sharp(cant do the symbol), Ruby, and some other things. The website is useful overall, even though it's a small site.
    Satangel likes this.

shakirmoledina Legend

Message Count:
    Tanzania
    I really feel php as a scripting language is the best starting point.
    Its simpler than .NET languages and also ASP.NET. It will allow you to make any program like I have worked on hospital,school,crops mgmt, pharmacy,pos etc systems and they work well.

They are web based (something that is very important these days) and cross-compatible because like facebook, all you need is a browser.
    I started with c# but you have to go a long way until you reach a good point.

Its not very good with games but for that we have
    UNITY Engine (the best there is,was and ever will be IMO)
    • Newcomer

robgraves New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I personally started with C++, and then started working on Python.

SPONSORED LINKS