Hardware Laser lens replacement

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
My wii stoped reading disks last night. Does not even read originals.
Just a loud clicking sound over and over again for 3 sec before it stopes.

Will a laser replacement fix it ?

I'm no expert and cannot give you anything but my own observation and advice. It would be more prudent to seek a real experts advice of course. But here are some things I would try....

First try it with the chip off if you can, take care not to damage the points or you'll have to resolder it back to the chip legs, because the pads lift so easy. Check the board is clean and all points are free of any solder bridges.

If it's still the same, observe it in operation with the top off, if the disc spins up and the laser lights up, then you may get away with a tweak of the adjustment pot. Turn it anti-clock wise about 1/20th to 1/16th of a turn. You will need a very small screw driver to do this, any excessive force will break it, it's very very delicate (i know because i broke mine
frown.gif
)

your last option I would guess is to try a new laser, or somehow get a new drive

jdp72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Exactly what mine did...just a loud clicking sound over and over again. Took the Wii and the laser back to the local Gamestop and they installed it free of charge... The kid there works on the returned ones and I guess they sell them as refurbished??? Said pretty much all the early Wii's that come back for service just need new laser lenses.

nottm3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

This happened to my drive, the laser making click sound for about 3 times. laser still going but i doesn't read the disc so i tried to replace the lens and it back to normal again so i think laser replacement would fix the problem if you have the same problem with me

jon-t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have an early version wii and have used crappy disks for a long time, i gues that the cheap disks killed the laser.
Ok then ill buy an new laser
smile.gif

Is the ebay one any good ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm