Homebrew Large SNES roms and VC Injection

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 12,032
  • Replies 21
D

Deleted User

OP
I've recently been trying (unsuccessfully) to inject the new translation for Fire Emblem - Genealogy of the Holy War into the Virtual Console. The patched rom is 8 megabytes (64 megabits)
The SNES Inyector by @Raugo only supports up to 48 megabits, so I tried to modify it manually in a hex editor. Unfortunately the game only shows a black screen when it's started :(
Is there any way to solve this, or does the SNES VC simply not support over 48 megabits?

MsMidnight

part time fe modder
Trophies
Website
camilla.hostfree.pw
XP
Country
I've recently been trying (unsuccessfully) to inject the new translation for Fire Emblem - Genealogy of the Holy War into the Virtual Console. The patched rom is 8 megabytes (64 megabits)
The SNES Inyector by @Raugo only supports up to 48 megabits, so I tried to modify it manually in a hex editor. Unfortunately the game only shows a black screen when it's started :(
Is there any way to solve this, or does the SNES VC simply not support over 48 megabits?
you're better off using BlargSNES or another emulator

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it doesnt even support 48mb roms most of the time

Once you get into Extended HiRom territory things dont really work

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The translation patch requires an unheadered rom, and VC injection requires a headered ROM. That's why it doesn't work on the ROM, and why injection doesn't work with a working patched ROM. Get the VC injection from that iso site, that's where I got mine.

Khangaroo

$ORIGINALTITLE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The translation patch requires an unheadered rom, and VC injection requires a headered ROM. That's why it doesn't work on the ROM, and why injection doesn't work with a working patched ROM. Get the VC injection from that iso site, that's where I got mine.
Why not patch the rom and then add a header? Does it just crash?

D

Deleted User

OP
Hmm, I can't seem to find it on the iso site. Does the one you have use this patch?
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63676

And wow, I completely forgot about headers.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i shall repeat

SNES VC doesnt even support 48mb roms most of the time aka anything larger than 4MB in file size

Once you get into Extended HiRom territory things dont really work, i have managed to get Ex HiRoms to boot past black screen but nothing more

it has nothing to do with headers you cna even readd headers to unheadered roms
and you can also get patches that work on headered roms
result is the same

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i shall repeat

SNES VC doesnt even support 48mb roms most of the time aka anything larger than 4MB in file size

Once you get into Extended HiRom territory things dont really work, i have managed to get Ex HiRoms to boot past black screen but nothing more

result is the same
No because I have a WORKING version on my 3DS right this moment, so size is obviously not the case, especially here.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hmm, I can't seem to find it on the iso site. Does the one you have use this patch?

Yes it uses the same patch. As far as I know, that's the latest and ONLY patch widely known for FEIV.

i shall repeat

result is the same
Besides, FE4 is a 4MB rom anyways. I just checked.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes FE4 is a 4MB Rom @Pikm

The generic Translation prepatched you can get is also 4MB rom

KMOOMP6.jpg

This is the results of the Newest Patch it makes the Rom 8MB
this is ExHirom

This is not supported by the injector

3A7rObx.jpg

the one you have is probably http://www.romhacking.net/translations/865/ that works

Last edited by izy,
D

Deleted User

OP
Yes FE4 is a 4MB Rom @Pikm

The generic Translation prepatched you can get is also 4MB rom

KMOOMP6.jpg

This is the results of the Newest Patch it makes the Rom 8MB
this is ExHirom

This is not supported by the injector

3A7rObx.jpg

the one you have is probably http://www.romhacking.net/translations/865/ that works
I managed to obtain a 6mb version from the creator of the patch, but it still doesn't work. It says 64 megabits in snes9x, so I'm assuming that's why it's not working. Is there a way to fix this?

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to obtain a 6mb version from the creator of the patch, but it still doesn't work. It says 64 megabits in snes9x, so I'm assuming that's why it's not working. Is there a way to fix this?
Like I said, just get one from that iso site. It works fine for me, and it's using the latest patch. (There's no recent version. The latest patch is from 2013)

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i take a look now and again to get these type of roms working.

Chrono Trigger has the same issues on the 6MB rom but it loads to start screen but black screens after

Oh i tried all the file size offsets from 4MB all the way to 8MB in manual hex install and test

all black screen

saying that this new patch is so HEAVY NRST fails to detect it as a valid rom

Last edited by izy,

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, this is the latest patch

It as released a few days ago.
I just tried the new patch of fe4 with the retroarch version of CatsFC, and that plays perfectly with no issues. Sorry you can't get VC injection, but retroarch seems to be the best alternative for right now.

The one I have uses Gharnef's patch, so it's the old 2013 version

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: