Hacking Lameboy and palettes

PJM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just ordered a Supercard DSTwo and want to put some GB ROMs on there for my kids. My kids (ages 5 and 7) don't really care about graphics, as they play many NES games on the Wii. I'm worried about the lack of color though. I know Lameboy can play GBC ROMs, and even color games with SGB support, but does it offer palette options for games that are strictly b&w?

I've also played with GBColorizer to hack colors into games, but only a few games are supported, and some have unexpected results.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it has been a while but I don't recall Lameboy having any proper palette support. Maybe just the choice between black and white or green and black.

EMP Knightmare

Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lameboy (to my knowledge) will only add color if color was added to the coding. Example would be Donkey Kong on Lameboy plays as it would in full color as if it were being played on a Super Gameboy. Games like Tetris (the one that came packaged with the original Gameboy) will only be in black and white or the classic spinach green color.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hm. I seem to remember it adding full color to the black & white pokemon games, but that's all I know of.
Lameboy (to my knowledge) will only add color if color was added to the coding. Example would be Donkey Kong on Lameboy plays as it would in full color as if it were being played on a Super Gameboy. Games like Tetris (the one that came packaged with the original Gameboy) will only be in black and white or the classic spinach green color.
Correct, and correct.

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm rather pissed that Donkey Kong has full color on lameboy, but the official 3DS virtual console release is only in black and white. -_-

EMP Knightmare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a slightly unrelated note, I'm rather pissed that Donkey Kong has full color on lameboy, but the official 3DS virtual console release is only in black and white. -_-

Yeah I was pretty pissed off to, and there's no option to add it in which I think it should have been given as an option at least.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I was pretty pissed off to, and there's no option to add it in which I think it should have been given as an option at least.
It really makes no sense at all, either! I mean, the full-color on that thing with the Super Game Boy (and the Game Boy Color, even though this was before it came out) was one of the reasons it was so impressive! Why'd they remove it? If they want to DISCOURAGE piracy and unofficial emulation, they're not doing a very good job. -_-

EMP Knightmare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really makes no sense at all, either! I mean, the full-color on that thing with the Super Game Boy (and the Game Boy Color, even though this was before it came out) was one of the reasons it was so impressive! Why'd they remove it? If they want to DISCOURAGE piracy and unofficial emulation, they're not doing a very good job. -_-

Funny enough Zelda DX has it's full color, but I do agree having the full color in Donkey Kong is what made it pop. Sadly I'm not so eager to play it as much as I would if it was in full color like it should be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"