Hardware L button stuck (always active) :/

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay, I opened the N3DS up. It went pretty smooth, but for the L button, things arent't looking good. The problem is in the tiny button inside. The button is rusty (I swear I haven't blown it before), we also checked it with a multimeter and confirmed that it doesn't work properly. In short, I need a replacement. And that leaves me with two questions:
  1. Where can I get a replacement L button (not the outer part, but the electronics inside) for the N3DS (non XXL)? I already checked and could find the part nowhere (not on eBay, Amazon, Dealextreme.com and some other sites). I need a place that ships to germany.
  2. Can you recommend me some good games that don't use the L button? Professor Layton comes to my mind because that never used buttons as far as I know.
Maybe you've got some ideas.

Last edited by d0k3,

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Where can I get a replacement L button (not the outer part, but the electronics inside) for the N3DS (non XXL)? I already checked and could find the part nowhere (not on eBay, Amazon, Dealextreme.com and some other sites). I need a place that ships to germany.
  2. Can you recommend me some good games that don't use the L button? Professor Layton comes to my mind because that never used buttons as far as I know.

I think you're out of luck when it comes to replacement parts for the New Nintendo 3DS. Since it's fairly new, you're probably not going to find replacement parts. I did find some replacement parts for the N3DSXL, but again that's for the XL and they didn't have shoulder buttons replacement.

Super Smash Bros is playable with one of the shoulder buttons broken as ZL and ZR works as swapped controls for L and R.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Okay, I opened the N3DS up. It went pretty smooth, but for the L button, things arent't looking good. The problem is in the tiny button inside. The button is rusty (I swear I haven't blown it before), we also checked it with a multimeter and confirmed that it doesn't work properly. In short, I need a replacement. And that leaves me with two questions:
You would probably be able to find a replacement pushbutton on some website that deals in electronic parts, like digikey. Might not be exactly the same part, but as long as it's of the same dimensions and pin placement it should work. It looks like an ordinary pushbutton, I doubt Nintendo designed a custom pushbutton as they are pretty common parts that are available cheaply. It might take a lot of looking at datasheets to find one with the right dimensions and pin spacing though.
Also, the new button might not have exactly the same feel to it. You could replace both if that's an issue since it's likely you'll have to buy more than one :P I don't think they sell them individually, or if they do it'll cost nearly as much as buying more of them.
Edit: I checked digikey and it doesn't look like they have the part you need.
Edit2: Found it!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/...tendo-3DS-repair-part-original/567759790.html
Here you go, 100 of them. That should last you a while :P

You would probably be able to find a replacement pushbutton on some website that deals in electronic parts, like digikey.
Use top notch screwdrivers, don't go for the cheap packs. The screws on the 3DS are very tight, it is very easy to strip them if you are not careful or are impatient. If you do end up stripping the screw even the slightest, you probably should stop. If you try to force it, you'll end up stripping the screw completely and you'll have to drill a hole to destroy the screw (very dangerous and will void your warranty guaranteed). Seeking professional will make it less likely you'll screw up your 3DS.

A Nintendo representative told me there is some kind of special seal that gets broken when you open up your 3DS, but I think that's a bunch of BS after I have looked inside myself.
It's also important that they are the right size. A screwdriver of the exact right size is 100x easier to use without stripping the screw.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Super Smash Bros is playable with one of the shoulder buttons broken as ZL and ZR works as swapped controls for L and R.
I think that won't work. The problem is, the L button is always active.

You would probably be able to find a replacement pushbutton on some website that deals in electronic parts, like digikey. Might not be exactly the same part, but as long as it's of the same dimensions and pin placement it should work. It looks like an ordinary pushbutton, I doubt Nintendo designed a custom pushbutton as they are pretty common parts that are available cheaply. It might take a lot of looking at datasheets to find one with the right dimensions and pin spacing though.
Also, the new button might not have exactly the same feel to it. You could replace both if that's an issue since it's likely you'll have to buy more than one :P I don't think they sell them individually, or if they do it'll cost nearly as much as buying more of them.
Edit: I checked digikey and it doesn't look like they have the part you need.
Edit2: Found it!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/...tendo-3DS-repair-part-original/567759790.html
Here you go, 100 of them. That should last you a while :P
Thanks a ton! But, replacing that part needs some solid skills and pretty good equipment. Not sure if we can manage that, I'd prefer the complete part. Maybe I'll look around for a broken N3DS.

BTW: Is this part identical in N3DS and N3DS XL? (if someone knows)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think that won't work. The problem is, the L button is always active.

Thanks a ton! But, replacing that part needs some solid skills and pretty good equipment. Not sure if we can manage that, I'd prefer the complete part. Maybe I'll look around for a broken N3DS.

The pushbutton should be identical. I don't know that for sure, but there's no reason they would change it.
If you've never touched a soldering iron in your life, maybe ask someone who's soldered before to do it. It doesn't look like a particularly hard solder job, just 3 pins that have reasonable spacing and that are surface mounted directly on the tiny PCB. But it's best to at least have a basic idea of how to solder first.
I'd probably be able to do it, and I've only soldered like 3 times before. Can't really do a whole lot wrong since it's a separate component, worst case scenario you manage to destroy the ribbon cable, which will leave you no worse off than before, you'll still be needing a new ribbon cable assembly.

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I haven't looked inside a normal 3DS, so I wouldn't know for sure. But I do know that the motherboard is a different size between the two model, so the ribbon for the shoulder buttons should be a different size as well. However, they're just simple ribbons so in theory it might be possible for you to just use ribbons and buttons from a N3DSXL and it would work just fine as long as you can just connect it to the motherboard.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you've never touched a soldering iron in your life, maybe ask someone who's soldered before to do it. It doesn't look like a particularly hard solder job, just 3 pins that have reasonable spacing and that are surface mounted directly on the tiny PCB. But it's best to at least have a basic idea of how to solder first.
I'd probably be able to do it, and I've only soldered like 3 times before. Can't really do a whole lot wrong since it's a separate component, worst case scenario you manage to destroy the ribbon cable, which will leave you no worse off than before, you'll still be needing a new ribbon cable assembly.

I never in my life touched a soldering iron, but I got help, someone who already helped me a few times with small parts stuff and soldering. The problem is, he says that will be very difficult (and he already took a look inside). But, you're correct, I can't make the situation worse, so I guess I should try. Or search for a defective N3DS, but these are pretty rare.

Last edited by d0k3,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just in case someone has the same problem and stumbles over this thread...

The New 3DS shoulder button spare part is finally available in China shops.

For me, that means that being able to use my N3DS as intented again is in sight. Just a little waiting time for the part to arrive. Nintendo wasn't helpful in this at all. Sure, they don't have to assist us in exploitable consoles maintenance, but the thing is... they build the N3DS / O3DS that way (with easily breaking shoulder buttons), and their only help is in (a) warranty 'repair' if your lucky or (b) very expensive non warranty 'repair'.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Get a new one and just swap the parts and return. I know it is not ethical but then again this forum wasn't built on ethics
The spare part from China that I just ordered should do the job. I thought about getting a new one before, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn