Hacking KMEAW vs. DEX

rizzod

Not a New Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay guys, i need help on a few questions. So if you know anything please answer... so here we go.

1. If you install DEX 4.21 FW on your PS3, can you go back to KMEAW 3.55?

2. Is loading/backing up games the same on DEX than it is on KMEAW?

3. Is it worth it?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1. You can go back to Kmeaw only if you have a hardware modchip (E3flasher, progskeet, etc.) and a dump of your official cfw or Kmeaw cfw3.55 NOR/NAND to restore.
There's no software method to go back to CEX (retail unit).
Maybe it will be possible later? I don't know what CEX->DEX is doing internally, so maybe it's not possible by software.

2. Yes, loading/backing is the same.
multiMAN has been updated for DEX units.

Maybe you need to find (use the update game function?) an unsigned eboot to launch the game you want to play. I didn't read a lot of stuff on DEX.
Someone else can confirm that.

depend what you want to do.
It's worth it if you want to play 4.20+ games, as you can upgrade/downgrade DEX firmwares to any version.
So you can install 4.20DEX firmware and play 4.20 games.

But, recently, there are a lot of game patches for playing 3.56+ games on 3.55 CEX cfw without going into DEX.

DEX can't connect/play PSN online, even when on latest firmware, as dev unit are using their own network.
CEX can't connect/play PSN online, but it's sometime available thanks to hacking community which find a way to enable it. it lasts few days, but it's better than no PSN at all with DEX, right?

Edit:
Ah, it seems PSN is working again for both CEX and DEX, see the post bellow.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually.. FckPSN 0.9c arrives with Updated PSN for CFW and DEX as well. By the way, I hate that word. Anyway, here:

• Replace certs 24 and 27 by transferring the ones included by FTP to /dev_blind/data/certs (back up the originals first)
  • run f*ck psn on your PC
  • use the IP of your PC in the 2 DNS slots on your PS3's network settings
  • ****THIS STEP IS FOR DEX USERS ONLY!!!! Go to settings>debug in xmb....change network environment to np...NO CAPS!!!
  • connect!

There you go. It might get banned from PSN permanently if Sony detects it. Be warned! ;)

Reactions: 1 person

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, u can revert back to cex. I've personally done it. what is happening is that a certain address is modified in the flash which allows u to install dex cfw. without modifying the address, u will receive "no applicable update" if u try to install dex fw since it knows ur not using a debug system. currently, there's no way to install dex fw or cex cfw without making this modification. and, u can only install one or the other at any given time. in order to revert back to cex, u have to use the original flash dump that does not contain this modification. the system will them presume ur using a retail ps3 allowing u to install cfw. aside from some of the features of the cobra dongle, there's absolutely no reason to revert back. if u don't have the cobra dongle, u might as well convert to dex, 'cause 3.55 dex has all of the options of kmeaw and much more including the ability to play about 95% of current games as backups and 100% directly from retail discs without the problem of updating that u'd have with cex cfw. also, it is strongly recommended u dehash the system before going to dex especially if u ever decide to revert back. qa flagging is probably the easiest way to do this. if u don't do this, the syscon checks that r made when installing 3.55 fw may cause rsod.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
Although this is a KMEAW vs DEX thread, I will ask the following about CEX CFW:
as of september 2012, what is the best CEX CFW? Is it still KMEAW as this thread suggests, or something else like Rogero 3.6 or REBUG?
I'd rather not update straight to DEX for the short-term before all the kinks are worked out and want to know what others suggest

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say cobra. it's the only cfw that has options (psp, psx, and ps2 games off an hdd) still not available with dex or any other cex cfw.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but doesn't the Cobra CFW still require having the dongle?

... Or has it been updated to not need the dongle for its functionality anymore? :!: And if it has... WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME?!?

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cobra still needs reDRM dongle garbage.

i hope it gets cracked, i need some psp on ps3, maybe even a couple ps1/ps2 games. i have a ps2 with freemcboot though, its in storage now but i can get it any time.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i hope it gets cracked, i need some psp on ps3, maybe even a couple ps1/ps2 games. i have a ps2 with freemcboot though, its in storage now but i can get it any time.

Retail ps1 game discs are compatible with PS3 from the dashboard, ps1 backup discs are possible with multiMAN or an app called "One". PSP games on PS3 cfw would be nice.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yea, I have a PS2 with a Matrix Infinity modchip inside. It's been good to me; coupled with HDLoader it has helped keep my system alive for a good while. But what gets me is how PS1 and PS2 games played on the PS3 - even when using the same component cables - all look better than they do on the PS2. And if I had the Cobra USB, I could 'HDLoad' all generations of games, unlike HDloader on the PS2 for faster load times. But at least I could play my disk backups on the PS3 and FINALLY retire my chipped PS2 to someone else. The HDLoader-style ISO support and PSP on PS3 support would all be added bonuses.

I'm just annoyed that we seemed to be so close to cracking the CobraUSB, then it's like as soon as word got out of breaking the DRM in the True Blue and everyone just seemed to abandon the effort. :( :nayps3:

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
actually, u can revert back to cex. I've personally done it. what is happening is that a certain address is modified in the flash which allows u to install dex cfw. without modifying the address, u will receive "no applicable update" if u try to install dex fw since it knows ur not using a debug system. currently, there's no way to install dex fw or cex cfw without making this modification. and, u can only install one or the other at any given time. in order to revert back to cex, u have to use the original flash dump that does not contain this modification. the system will them presume ur using a retail ps3 allowing u to install cfw. aside from some of the features of the cobra dongle, there's absolutely no reason to revert back. if u don't have the cobra dongle, u might as well convert to dex, 'cause 3.55 dex has all of the options of kmeaw and much more including the ability to play about 95% of current games as backups and 100% directly from retail discs without the problem of updating that u'd have with cex cfw. also, it is strongly recommended u dehash the system before going to dex especially if u ever decide to revert back. qa flagging is probably the easiest way to do this. if u don't do this, the syscon checks that r made when installing 3.55 fw may cause rsod.

I had a rsod because the guys who downgraded my ps3 from 4.10 to 3.55 rogero didn't patch quality assurance flags (enabled), so when I decided to uninstall Rogero, then KMEAW it gave a nice rel light of death. (1 green led, a fraction of second yellow led, then looping red led flashing and three beeps).

Rogero CFW V2 3.55 allows you to swap firmwares without any hardware method, even you can restore back to 3.55OFW, so yeah, syscon was complaining. I had to get an E3 flasher, then install QA, and everything ran smoothly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1