KipMudz's solution to malfunctioning DSLite's shoulder buttons

Discussion in 'NDS - Tutorials & FAQs' started by KipMudz, Oct 6, 2012.

Oct 6, 2012
    • Newcomer

KipMudz New Member

Message Count:
    Philippines
    Based on what I saw on Ifixit's teardown of DSi/XL and even the 3DS, it seems that these handhelds are not using the same kind of trigger switch found on the GBA family and DS phat and lite due to the appearance of the triggers. My guess is the trigger switch of DSi looks like the buttons of a mobile phone keypad which the metal discs of the buttons are being held by some sort of adhesive coating. I'm think that the way of cleaning the metal contacts might be similar on the OP. Sigh... I never tore a DSi down yet.

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Message Count:
    United States
    For my DS Phat and GBA SP, the solution was to press my lips around the button (so it sealed the area) and put air pressure. It was always a temporary solution, but it also always worked.
    • Newcomer

KipMudz New Member

Message Count:
    Philippines
    That trick never worked for me in the past no matter how strong the air pressure is.

constantgamer247 Pourquoi?

Message Count:
    Canada
    Hummm... interesting. I was wondering cuz my sister had a DS lite that she sold because the shoulder buttons were going. I have a DS phat and a DSi XL and have never had a problem with the shoulder buttons. I know when the DS lite came out it had a newer style of shoulder buttons than the gba+gba sp and DS phat had, but I lost track after the lite. I'm sure I could just look at tear downs and compair.

I didn't really spend a lot of time with the DS lite so I can't remember what it's shoulder buttons were like.

Yepi69 GBATemp Pokemon, EarthBound, Mother3 Proud Fan Boy

Message Count:
    Portugal
    I would disassemble my DS and do this but I'm too much of a pussy to do it, and since I already got it fixed I might fuck it up.

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Message Count:
    United States
    Try my temporary solution above.

Yepi69 GBATemp Pokemon, EarthBound, Mother3 Proud Fan Boy

Message Count:
    Portugal
    That's what I keep doing to make the buttons work, problem is the more air you blow into it, the more oxidation it gets.

WoJjTeK New Member

Message Count:
    Poland
    Alright, after an 1 hour of struggling , I finally pulled this off. Man I didn't expect the trigger parts to be that small, it was pain in the ass to clean up that metal piece from it. But now my L Trigger works flawlessly, hopefully it will stay this way for a long time. Thank you very much for this tutorial :)
    KipMudz likes this.
    • Newcomer

KipMudz New Member

Message Count:
    Philippines
    Oh... It's nice to know that someone attempted to perform this fix! I am worried that no one will try this since it's been ages ago when this thread was bumped.
    • Newcomer

darkunitzero New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    i logged into gbatemp for the first time in years to say thanks. this saved the left shoulder button from a ds lite that i got wayyyyyyyy back when it was first released in japan.

thanks again!!!!
    KipMudz likes this.

Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Message Count:
    Romania
    Dear KipMudz,

Your amazing advice has helped me fix my DS' L shoulder button to the point where it feels brand new and even better than the R button. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Without your advice, I'd have ended up buying a new PCB or even console entirely. I hold my NDSL dear. Not only is it my most played console, but it was also a gift from someone. I was amazed at the fact that dirt even managed to get in there in the first place. o.=.O; That thing's pretty sealed up. Now I can keep holding on to my favorite console! ^<3^

*heart stamp*
    KipMudz likes this.
    • Newcomer

Ramis New Member

Message Count:
    Sweden
    After lending my old DSL to a friend for over a year, it came back with non-functioning Shoulder buttons. No response at all, so I didn't have high hopes. After disassembling the DS, and playing around with a multimeter, it seemed the problem was the switch itself, since it didnt seem to conduct. Some googling on the problem brought me to this Guide, and after following the steps, the buttons feels brand new!
    Thanks a lot!
    KipMudz likes this.
    • Newcomer

KipMudz New Member

Message Count:
    Philippines
    Thanks guys for using this guide to fix the L/R buttons of your dear DSLites!

Sigh. I also want to include the guides on how to open the L/R button switches of other Nintendo handhelds but I don't have a GB Micro, DSPhat, DSi/XL and 3DSXL. No photos for them at this moment. I'm too lazy to upload the photos for GBA/SP and 3DS.
    • Newcomer

foboats New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    This definitely helped my problem. Thanks for posting!
    oji and KipMudz like this.

oji New Member

Message Count:
    Russia
    Thank you, KipMudz for such a great manual, just fixed my DSLite. And thank you, foboats for bumping this thread. If not you both i'll finish with blowing into the my DS shoulder buttons until they broke lastly.
    KipMudz likes this.
    • Newcomer

opeth2112 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Worked for me - thank you for the detailed guide!
    KipMudz likes this.
    • Newcomer

zaide_chris New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Just fixed my DS Lite using this method, I used a old magnext and it held the disc quite well, while I cleaned up the inside of it. Only issue I had is the disc became charged and was sticking to all of my metal tools. So I had to find pair of plastic tweezers to get the disc back in.
    KipMudz likes this.
    • Newcomer

invaderyoyo New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hey, this worked great. My DS Lite's L button works fine now, so thanks. I would also like to add that the shoulder buttons in the DSi are, in fact, the same. I had bought some replacement buttons for a DSi and when I was doing this fix I compared the buttons and yup, they are the same. This fix would work for the DSi, too.
    KipMudz likes this.

SPONSORED LINKS