K1 GBA SP

Discussion in 'Official GBAtemp Reviews' started by Another World, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
  2. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Does GBA games running from hardware work at 100%? Like can I use my EZ Flash IV and continue to play as normal like I would on a GBA SP?
    I'm looking for a replacement of my old AGS-001 GBA SP so I can play with a brighter screen and the ability to play on the TV.

3. Another World
    OP

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    it does not run every game at 100%. i am confused by why you asked this, did you not read the compatibility section of the review? why would you want to use a flash kit on a system that supports rom loading via microsd? as far as a replacement for a retail sp, again i have to ask, did you not read the review? i assume you like the form factor, don't let that be your selling point. this system has really poor d-pad and buttons, as discussed in the review.

-another world

4. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    I prefer using real hardware rather than using emulation, I know it has stiffy buttons compared to the GBA SP itself.

5. Another World
    OP

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    it isn't emulating. running off the msd card is just a means to load the rom into memory. after that the rom runs via a system-on-a-chip approach. it is running in hardware. even if it was a clone with emulation, running a real cart would still be running that game via emulation. an emulation based gba clone does not have a magical way of switching to a hardware solution when a cart is inserted.

i wouldn't describe the dpad or buttons as stiff. the b button was useless on the review unit. i've read other reports stating similar issues with the buttons. it's a nice little system, but its issues were so bad that i never used it again after the review. i've instead gone back to emulation (psp/gcw zero/ouya).

-another world

6. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Hmm too bad, I just wanted a system I could play with a better screen while still being able to connect to the TV, I don't wanna buy a Gamecube with a Gameboy Player just so I can play GBA on my TV

7. ayeuman

ayeuman Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    Macau
    I have a little question: can i use the k-card in a GBA ? Can i use it on my GB micro ?

8. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Germany
    Munich
    Sadly you can't..
    Does anyone know where you can buy this handheld?

9. Another World
    OP

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    straight from the review:
    its just an interface device. it allows the k1 gba sp to read/write to a mSD. without it the unit could not load roms, as the design did not include a built-in mSD slot. i hope that clears it up for you.

did you try emailing the official reseller to see if they are still stocking them? http://www.k1gba.com/page-about_us.html

-another world

10. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I found the creators next project if anyone is interested. The k2. Apparently a NDS/GBA clone in a 2DS shell. Reads games from a SD card. Will have moonshell support. And if google translate is correct, it won't be out for 2 years min. Apparently he is well into the project. The only thing is the patents on the NDS' hardware doesn't expire until holiday 2016.

LINK1

LINK2

LINK3

11. purupuru

purupuru GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    This is very interesting.

12. ZakDendy

ZakDendy Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    Southampton
    im getting desperate for these:( anywhere i can buy a K1 from?

Gotta flashcart with ags001 but would like the brighter screen and the price of the ags101 is too costly here in europe!

13. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    I would recommend an alternative:

Get a "Retro Duo Portable" + "SNES Advance Adapter"

Beats the K101 in any way in my op.

It even works with Warioware twisted !

14. futaris

futaris Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2006
    Brisbane
    I thought the "Retro Duo Portable" didn't have AV input (NTSC) for the "SNES Advance Adapter"...

15. ruilong

ruilong GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    United States
    K1 is gone. Try K101 plus!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

K1 no more available. Try k101 plus!