Review K1 GBA SP

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The K1 GBA seems to be a more or less perfect clone. With that in mind, would it perhaps be possible to use buttons and underlying rubber domes from a real GBA SP in it? In that case you could transplant those from a broken GBA, or just buy one of those repair kits, and hopefully make it work better. Or perhaps you could even swap the whole shell?

Just a thought, it seems like there are some button issues. If I was planning to get one of those K1:s, I'd test the theory myself, but perhaps there are other brave souls out there willing to test it? :)

P

pasc

Ordered mine quite some time ago. Man, I'm kinda hyped for this :) hope it arrives soon.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
The K1 GBA seems to be a more or less perfect clone. With that in mind, would it perhaps be possible to use buttons and underlying rubber domes from a real GBA SP in it? In that case you could transplant those from a broken GBA, or just buy one of those repair kits, and hopefully make it work better. Or perhaps you could even swap the whole shell?

Just a thought, it seems like there are some button issues. If I was planning to get one of those K1:s, I'd test the theory myself, but perhaps there are other brave souls out there willing to test it? :)
From the faq:
Q: How are the buttons compared to the original? Are they the same quality and feel? Can they be swapped with the original, if not (DIY)?
A: The buttons look identical from the outside, I would guess they are the same size and shape but cannot guarantee it.
Different rubber domes or adding something to the old ones might help. I'm brave enough to tinker with it eventually but not soon (it uses normal screws, not triwing!) and I'm not cannibalizing parts from my real SP. I am guessing the pads used are juuust cheap enough not to have uniform pressure sensitivity and not damaged or something. Anything I should know about or be careful of when taking it apart I wonder?

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the button issues on K1 GBA SP, we wonder if you guys try to use the "Analog Joystick Button Pad For PSP"? I had used the direction pad on K1. The hand feeling is more button. But I still can not find the pad for buttons " A " "B". Can another know such pads?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The hand feeling is more button. But I still can not find the pad for buttons " A " "B". Can another know such pads?
Please try to say that again in a different way.
I think he's referring to analog sticks that sit over the buttons. This can kinda make sense to replace the Dpad, but I don't see why anyone would want that for the A and B buttons.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
For the button issues on K1 GBA SP, we wonder if you guys try to use the "Analog Joystick Button Pad For PSP"? I had used the direction pad on K1. The hand feeling is more button. But I still can not find the pad for buttons " A " "B". Can another know such pads?
Are you talking about replacement buttons for the K1 gba?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Are you talking about replacement buttons for the K1 gba?
I think he's talking about an accessory that covers the buttons externally.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
real time clock is a cart feature. the k1 gba sp is a hardware "clone" that mimics the original operations of the gameboy advance (except for gb/gbc). there has been discussion of a software based RTC solution, but nothing has been released yet.

-another world

SteveBrule

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didn't the original hardware revision have built in RTC hardware, and the upcoming dingoo styled one is going to have it built in as well, it's definitely worth atleast some mention

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
there is no point in mentioning hardware that is not available on the review unit, as this was a review of the k1 gba sp as sold by k1gba.com. i was careful to make these distinctions in the review.

please keep in mind that i am reviewing the product on-hand and not the world of speculation and development that may surround the product. i strive to keep on-topic as much as possible.

-another world

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hand feeling is more button. But I still can not find the pad for buttons " A " "B". Can another know such pads?
Please try to say that again in a different way.
I apologize for it.

Yes, what I said is to use another covering d-pad to play games on K1. I had tested it. The control is more sensitive. But no parts for button" A " and "B". Some body try this Analog Joystick Button Pad should know this device. I will the picture for it later.

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is no point in mentioning hardware that is not available on the review unit, as this was a review of the k1 gba sp as sold by k1gba.com. i was careful to make these distinctions in the review.

please keep in mind that i am reviewing the product on-hand and not the world of speculation and development that may surround the product. i strive to keep on-topic as much as possible.

-another world
The device that Another world received and reviewed is the K1 GBA SP sold on k1gba.com. It is the special version make for being sold on K1gba.com.

For the RTC and headphone designs, they will be included in the next version- called K101-folded version. Thanks for your understanding.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright - mine arrived today. My model number is AGT-S-PMA. Overall, I'm very happy with this thing so far. The build DOES feel cheap, but my buttons are all equally responsive. They aren't up to the original SP responsiveness, but with the different kind of plastic it doesn't feel too threatening to the system when I press down on the buttons a little harder than I might for the original SP. I was able to play Megaman Zero 4 without any problems.

I wouldn't sell an original SP to swap for this one. This is a great system to have for homebrew and playing other handheld roms on, or games that are difficult to find, but playing a cartridge on an original SP is still a better experience overall.
That being said, if you have a lot of GBA games that you want to play, but don't have the cash to buy all of - you should buy this system. Having a library of other systems on the go is pretty amazing, too. Much better than emulating on the PSP, IMO.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey AW.

Does this work with the GameCube -> GBA adapter plug? For example, using the Tingle Tuner in Wind Waker?
Or any game in general

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
sorry ifish, have no idea. i don't own the cable so I can't test it.

My model number is AGT-S-PMA.

where is there a model number printed on the device? did you order one from k1gba.com? what is your product id number, you can find it in the firmware help menu on the 3rd page.

-another world

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PID 00610603 (TaoBao order)

Larger screen area

Note the shorter shoulder buttons

No bump near start button

slight difference in cart slot shape the k1 lacks the angled corners.

Multiboot -

128m flash2advance cart works but I am unable to use the i-linker (f2a) software with the k1 to flash the cart, although it seems like multiboot has been initiated as nintendo is displayed.
Unable to test GC link my cable has stopped working :(

i'll try pick up another link cable for further testing

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Also, 3DS games through NTR streaming on Wii U.
    It's very cool.
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    @K3Nv2 I did that using Citra for 3DS games. Bottom screen was my smartphone. Until I got the touch screen.
  • SwordShielder @ SwordShielder:
    Use a TV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Citra allows it already?
    Yes.
    Ken I have that sort of set up on Drastic on Pi for games that don't require touch
    Looks nice too
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Looks nice too