Hardware just wondering, is it bad to let your psp battery run completely dry?

Zalda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i haven't played my psp in about 4 months now, and i just tried booting it up and it just wouldn't do shit anymore. completely dead. it's charging now, but I wonder, can it be bad for the battery? does it kill the lifetime of the battery?

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
I left my PSP untouched for over a year, when I came back to it the battery was completely dead, wouldn't charge, nothing.

I assumed it was from leaving it for so long, but never really looked into it as I had two spare batteries anyway.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I left my PSP untouched for over a year, when I came back to it the battery was completely dead, wouldn't charge, nothing.

I assumed it was from leaving it for so long, but never really looked into it as I had two spare batteries anyway.

I think the interchangeable batteries are kinda shit, I had one that came with my PSP but it eventually widdled away to about 20 minutes of battery life. I guess the plus side is having them, well, interchangeable though so you can carry multiple on you or buy a new one when it dies (something that's a pain for built-in batteries).

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All rechargeable batteries lose capacity over time, heat and improper storage can also affect the lifespan of a battery.
(This is why built in rechargeable batteries suck because at some point in time they will need to be replaced and this is often a pain in the butt or nearly impossible....)

http://www.rechargebatteryguide.com/batteries/rechargable-battery-care-and-tips

Reactions: 1 person

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All electronic that uses Lithium battery (including PSP, 3DS, cellphone, etc) must be kept charged. Unlike Nickel-based battery, Lithium battery needs to be kept charged whenever possible. Fully drained Lithium battery will only cut down lifespan.

Reactions: 1 person

SILENT_HUNTRESS

CIERA BAKUFU
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i keep my equipment in a controlled enviroment,but i had that problem with my old psp 1000 and had to buy a new battery.in any case not all batteries last forever and i have a stockpile of batteries and psp parts if that ever happens,but i only charge mine when i see it is a must and i do not keep it on the charger 24/7 because over charging could also ruin the lifespan in my opinion.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry about overcharging. Electronic (including PSP) these days can tell when a battery is fully charged and shut down charging circuit when it does.

You should only worry about overcharging if you are using custom charger.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: One of the worst games I have ever played