Hacking Just pulled the trigger on a wii.

• Thread starter Deleted-355425
  • Start date
  • Views 2,134
  • Replies 16
D

Deleted-355425

Hey guys, I just bought a new old stock wii, I've read around the soft modding and will do some deeper research as I go along, but I wanted to ask for some information on the general DO's and DONT's, even if they are just one liners!

I'm pretty Confident when it comes to modding, soft and hard. But you can never be too careful and I'd really appreciate some pointers! Treat me as a newb to the wii scene like I really am :)

So I have the wii coming, a 2gb SD and a 32gb SDHC memory card and I will be mostly using it for wii games and alot of camecube action.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The general DO's are grabbing ModMii and using it to generate a softmodding guide - it will download all the necessary WAD's for you and create a step-by-step and up-to-date guide on how to mod your system. As far as the file system of your external HDD (which you want to use) is concerned, go for FAT32 and ignore anyone who says otherwise - it's the best. For Wii game management I suggest Wii Backup Manager since it'll automatically convert your images and split them if needs be, overcoming the 4GB file size limitation of FAT32. For cube action grab the latest Nintendont, it's superior to DIOS MIOS without all the Anti-Piracy protection of Devolution. The general DON'T's are changing the region of Korean-made Wii's (they're fickle beasts, don't do it unless you're a 100% sure it'll work), losing your NAND backup (required in case your system implodes) and installing untested System Menu WAD's as it might completely screw up your system beyond the point of recovery (it overwrites the PriiLoader which in case of later Wii's is equivalent to a death sentence unless you know how to flash the beast with an Infectus or something to that effect).

Reactions: Deleted-355425
D

Deleted-355425

In that case, you should consider getting a 2.5" drive + enclosure so that it powers down automatically at the same time as the Wii.

by coincidence i have a WD external hard drive thats usb only, a passport style one so no external power source... thanks for the tip.. didnt think about that issue :)

Reactions: LumInvader

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Do:
-Install Priiloader. Don't, forget this.
-Download either RetroArch or Tantric emulators. No Wii is complete without them.
-Install VC/WiiWare games and move them to your SD card for them to be played whenever you feel like.
-Consider trying mods like Project M or Newer Super Mario Bros Wii.

Don't:
-Update through Nintendo. Disc nor internet.
-Use old and redundant homebrew like Pimp my Wii and CIOSCORP.
-Uninstall system IOSes. In fact, don't uninstall IOSes at all.
-Turn off your system when installing things.
-Use the Wii as a doorstop.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can, Install Bootmii to Boot2. not all Wii's can do this but if yours can, install it and dump the NAND. Bootmii installed to Boot2 will allow you restore a NAND dump even if you brick the System Menu or delete various IOSs.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by coincidence i have a WD external hard drive thats usb only, a passport style one so no external power source... thanks for the tip.. didnt think about that issue :)
One of the fun things is trying to match the enclosure with the device it's running from.

For example...

Original Nintendo Wii:

Wii-Original.jpg

Filemate 3.5" enclosure (yeah, it lights up blue just like the Wii's DVD drive):

filemate-enclosure-35-wht_11067.jpg

There's also a Filemate 2.5" enclosure, but it doesn't match the Wii quite as well:

71PmpNVEV7L._SY355_.jpg

D

Deleted-355425

Do:
-Install Priiloader. Don't, forget this.
-Download either RetroArch or Tantric emulators. No Wii is complete without them.
-Install VC/WiiWare games and move them to your SD card for them to be played whenever you feel like.
-Consider trying mods like Project M or Newer Super Mario Bros Wii.

Don't:
-Update through Nintendo. Disc nor internet.
-Use old and redundant homebrew like Pimp my Wii and CIOSCORP.
-Uninstall system IOSes. In fact, don't uninstall IOSes at all.
-Turn off your system when installing things.
-Use the Wii as a doorstop.

ok so no updates via Nintendo, discs or internet... how'd you update it to another firmware or is it best to not update at all?

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
ok so no updates via Nintendo, discs or internet... how'd you update it to another firmware or is it best to not update at all?
If the Wii you bought was used recently then chances are it's already on the newest and final firmware, which is 4.3. The system firmware has practically zero impact on game compatibility so you shouldn't have to touch it at all. If for whatever reason you want to swap firmwares then it's as simple as a wad install. However, keep in mind that this will erase priiloader so if something goes wrong and you don't have bootmii installed then your Wii is goof.

When running ModMii it should give you the option to download all necessary system IOSes as well. I suggest doing that and installing them along with the cIOSes. Just follow their guide and you'll be just fine.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There are certain advantages to running 4.1, but I can't quite recall what they are and they don't influence backup loaders or homebrew so don't worry about it and just run the latest firmware, it doesn't matter. :P

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are certain advantages to running 4.1, but I can't quite recall what they are and they don't influence backup loaders or homebrew so don't worry about it and just run the latest firmware, it doesn't matter. :P
If the Wii is a 4.1 and gets bricked, then depending on the type of brick it could be unbricked by doing a disc update of a higher firmware.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is the advice to not install via Nintendo still valid? Nintendo haven't released a new update in years and the latest 4.3 is still fully exploitable.

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is the advice to not install via Nintendo still valid? Nintendo haven't released a new update in years and the latest 4.3 is still fully exploitable.
Problem is that we don't know how update by N works internally. Any Wii modification might alter whole process and cause unnecessary risk of brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun