Hacking Just found XBox 360 Arcade in trash RRoD...

Retinal_FAILURE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the best way to find the dashboard number? Man. Date 2007-11-22, appears to be Arcade with all white front, no bundled HDD and the flat cover where the HDD on Premium/Pro and up is bundled. (with the little foam that sits on the HDD slot.)
It's RRoD and its a v1 Falcon with BENQ VAD-6038. What're the chances I have a low kernel/dashboard? (idk if that's a stupid question)). I dont know how to solder, though I want to learn. is this a good project to start with? The kit to fix RRoD are like $30, and require soldering I believe.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the best way to find the dashboard number? Man. Date 2007-11-22, appears to be Arcade with all white front, no bundled HDD and the flat cover where the HDD on Premium/Pro and up is bundled. (with the little foam that sits on the HDD slot.)
It's RRoD and its a v1 Falcon with BENQ VAD-6038. What're the chances I have a low kernel/dashboard? (idk if that's a stupid question)). I dont know how to solder, though I want to learn. is this a good project to start with? The kit to fix RRoD are like $30, and require soldering I believe.
Rebaling its the only TRUE fix for a RROD.

Retinal_FAILURE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rebaling its the only TRUE fix for a RROD.
that seems to be something thay requires kmowledge skill and space which I don't have. Do any members offer a service tp fix RROD? I know I had it on my Pro, but that was when Microsoft offered a fix, so they did it. I know some people offer JTAG, RGH services, or at least I thought that members did.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know of anybody still offering it, and when brand new 360s cost... I have not checked for a while actually

$150 new https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-System-Console-Peggle-Bundle/dp/B00OEA4ADU/
Considerably less second hand, trade in values worse still, apparently there are refurb versions as well but I am not sure what that counts as.

I doubt you will find a service that beats that price for this, assuming it even works properly.

Best you can do is possibly bring it back to life for long enough to extract the key vault if that is still something people do.
Alternatively you could salvage some parts from it, though there is not a great market for those -- cartridge connectors and control pad connectors are worth something to many, however as this is DVD and USB it is not really worth it. Best from them is probably the RF board for those making wireless controller adapters.

D

Deleted User

Rebailing is easy, you just need to heat up motherboard for a while.
But be careful since it might melt something important.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's reflowing and is a temporary fix.
Reballing is actually putting new solderballs on the CPU/GPU and soldering it back onto the board again.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hence it requires specialized equipment.
Stencils to hold the balls into place, directed heat to solder it back on etc.

Those machines are fucking expensive and hopefully in a couple of years, I got one ;p

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depending upon what you go for they are considerably cheaper than they once were.

Full jigs, cnc x-y table, cameras, sensors, active feeback thermal profile control modules and more, especially if you want to have x ray testing afterwards, can still run you a bit, though actually not as much as it once did. Still serious cash but much like home gamers and small business types can do pick and place these days I can see it happening much like some buy a track car, a fancy milling machine/lathe, a holiday to a fancy location or a similar extravagance.

Something more manual, which may struggle with some of the crazy vfbga and beyond stuff but for 360 style pitches/packages can still get it done in a reasonably reliable manner (or at least something you can offer as a last ditch/"I have it here and can give it a go" service)
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...D-Soldering-Machine-Infrared_60401788296.html

For something as incredibly mass produced, cheap and readily available as the 360, doubly so as you will likely not have replacement chips available and only be trying to fix tin whiskers and creep... which is also the name of my new indie band, I am not especially seeing the value in the proposition, though find something else and it could be a fun service/hobby service/community service type thing.

Reactions: DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'll prolly be getting a machine that's ~1000 quid.
Professional repairs are a must then.

I might accept community repairs in the future as well!

konsolenumbau.expert

Trophies
Website
konsolenumbau.expert
XP
Country
Germany
Hence it requires specialized equipment.
Stencils to hold the balls into place, directed heat to solder it back on etc.

Those machines are fucking expensive and hopefully in a couple of years, I got one ;p
Same here mate.... Still lookin for years now.... And probably will be a few more[emoji6][emoji23]

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Worth checking if you've never reballed a GPU before :
Reballing flip chip GPUs is BULLSHIT - the truth about dead laptop GPUs & repairing them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte