Gaming Just bought a PS3... but complete n00b

rainwhore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just got a 40gb PS3, with controller leads etc for what I think is a good price. The guy said it's on 3.41 firmware, and that "he used a USB jailbreak device", but now completely formatted the PS3, which is still at 3.41 firmware.

1. I'm not interested in jailbreaking -- if I connect it to the internet and update it, is there any chance that Sony will detect that it "was" jailbroken, and brick it?

2. Now that I have a PS3 (woo!), apart from games and Blu-Ray, anything else I can do with it?

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They can detect,but apparently they don't ban(maybe they will,but probably if you keep updated they won't). They wouldn't brick you,it's their loss if they do.

You can play music,videos and view photos...there's also the internet browser and stuff.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Remotely bricking a device you jailbroke is illegal, Sony's not that stupid.

When jailbroken and you run something, the game ID is stored, in the case of backup games this ID is of the backup manager (and for homebrew it's a homebrew ID). While Sony can see this recorded info, they have not banned anybody for it.

If you're paranoid you might want to jailbreak so you can run a homebrew program to clean that list.

rainwhore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not paranoid at all, I just want to know if I can continue using it as per normal, or whether I should keep it on 3.41 and jailbreak it again. Is the PS3 homebrew scene particularly worth it?

rainwhore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So apart from the obvious (backups), is there any advantages to jailbreaking atm?

Thanks
smile.gif

rainwhore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have nothing! Think I'll be renting instead of buying though. Right now I have Uncharted and WET on my to-rent list, amongst others.

dills2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if you thinking of getting scott pilgrim vs the world on ps store as castle crashers is much better its also on ps store

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
yeah the jailbreak is worth it if you have a second console to jailbreak but as you main console nope because you can never go online, anything you purchase online via psn previously will be incassable, including retail games that you rightly paid for if a update is included on the disc.

you see in order to access most of your content you need to sign in and update, no one seems to have found a way to bypass this yet, so your best bet is to buy a second console to jailbreak and use the one you are using now for online, that's what i will be doing when i can afford a console, i currently have 2 ps3s 2nd one is my partners, so will need a 3rd one for offline and homebrew only.

my only annoyance is that you can never do anything with retail game discs, you have to rip the games first before you can do anything with the games at all! (which takes a long time to do especially if you have a small internal hard drive and lots of games like i do) that's why i really don't care about jailbreak atm on top of that the game installs is a problem aswell, why can't they get the backups to run without game install like psp games? that would save a lot of space as isos don't need game installs do they?

Rydian said:
Remotely bricking a device you jailbroke is illegal, Sony's not that stupid.

you really don't know sony well do you? sony really don't care if they fuck your console up or not, ask the 1000+ gamers who install their official updates on their console and no longer had it working! if the gamers wanted to get it replaced sony charged them even though they are the one who broke the consoles in the first place!

sony also removed other os illegally and even removed other features without telling the user what was in the update in the first place! it is the way sony works unfortunately.

flame me if you want the truth is in google i don't care if you don't listen i am only giving the warning.

oh yeah microsoft do damage to your console illegally aswell, when it is banned they fuck it up good too, i just wish people would open their eyes and sue these assholes to kingdom come that won't happen though as people will continue to eat shit from sony and microsoft and think they are getting great service from them.

dills2 said:
uncharted 1 or 2 uncharted 2 is a must buy especially cause of the multiplayer

must buy, both games are great, don't care about online though offline experience is good.

QUOTE(dills2 @ Dec 27 2010, 01:26 PM)
demon souls is a great game but its tough as s..t

if you want to drive yourself insane and smash your head through a wall in red anger then be my guest, i wouldn't even play the game if i was given it for free!

shaosam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
my only annoyance is that you can never do anything with retail game discs, you have to rip the games first before you can do anything with the games at all! (which takes a long time to do especially if you have a small internal hard drive and lots of games like i do) that's why i really don't care about jailbreak atm on top of that the game installs is a problem aswell, why can't they get the backups to run without game install like psp games? that would save a lot of space as isos don't need game installs do they?

So wait, if I were to download a game rip of say, Bayonetta, and try to play it, would the game run as if it were not "installed" on the hard drive? (There was a patch for Bayonetta that allowed PS3 users to install the game and reduce load times.) So I have to have the game rip on the hard drive and ALSO install the game through the game's install process?

rainwhore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's very helpful everyone, thank you! I'm not going to bother with jailbreak for now. Hopefully Sony won't mind me updating an ex-jailbreak console!!
smile.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
shaosam said:
So wait, if I were to download a game rip of say, Bayonetta, and try to play it, would the game run as if it were not "installed" on the hard drive? (There was a patch for Bayonetta that allowed PS3 users to install the game and reduce load times.) So I have to have the game rip on the hard drive and ALSO install the game through the game's install process?

yes correct, if you wanted to game install you would have to download the patch to do so, also game rips that are download come "as is" and act like the retail copy so like it or not you have to install game data which is annoying imo.

QUOTEThat's very helpful everyone, thank you! I'm not going to bother with jailbreak for now. Hopefully Sony won't mind me updating an ex-jailbreak console!!

good luck for now just update and save up for a second console if you wish to jailbreak in future!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end