Gaming Judging fake DS games by outer package (new unopened titles)

Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, so common topic (somewhat) but if you get a new copy of an unopened game, is there any way for certain to verify if the item might be fake?
I attached my concern of purchase "Kirby Super Star Ultra". It came from a US seller, but the packing's colors are off, there is no shine around the title and background, and slight blur to the images.

Most suspicious indication lies with the fact the back cover does not have the HAL logo next to the Nintendo copyright.
I don't know.....It just seems off......

Edit extra: The front picture cover can be deceiving. The star circle actually appears that way in at any angle and the flash made the characters brighter. Oh, and another noticed feature is that the white trim around the word "Kirby" is inconsistant. The lower corner K and sort of under the "ir". Compare other online images.

Attachments

• part 1.jpg
    part 1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 874
  • part 2.jpg
    part 2.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 1,244
Last edited by Voltshock R,

loco365

Trophies
XP
Comparing the pics on the OP and with the link that @Sliter posted, it may be a fake because the HAL logo is missing (Look beside the barcode in both the gamefaqs link and your images). Additionally, I haven't seen any DS games whose cellophane outer wrapping has the Nintendo logo printed on it. It's usually unmarked.

Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link Sliter. Actually I already used that page as a reference, but it is a good link if anyone else does consider comparison.
Since I can't find a way to edit already posted images, I reposted a higher resolution of the front cover for comparing the "Kirby" I mentioned in the 'Edit Extra'.
Yes it does have a Nintendo pull tab for some reason around the center.

Attachments

• 100_4540.JPG
    100_4540.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 766

loco365

Trophies
XP
Thanks for the link Sliter. Actually I already used that page as a reference, but it is a good link if anyone else does consider comparison.
Since I can't find a way to edit already posted images, I reposted a higher resolution of the front cover for comparing the "Kirby" I mentioned in the 'Edit Extra'.
Yes it does have a Nintendo pull tab for some reason around the center.
Check my post above.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I as well have never seen a DS game with marked wrappings, let alone one that is upside down and backwards. I used to work in electronics/video games retail, the only time I ever saw DS games with a pull tab was fresh out of the shipping box, there was an outer wrapping around sets of 10 games that had a pull tab on it so the stocker could easily access the individually wrapped games within. This alone would make me very suspicious.

Edit - and at that, the pull tab on the bundle wrap was solid red, not a Nintendo print.

Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following this assumition, what would one think is the best course of action? I mean, I can contact the seller but how to address the situation properly? Or would it be better to contact the overhead (in this case Amazon).

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also if you look at the nintendo seal of quality on the back
if you look on the bottom right side, it should say TM, but on yours is just a circle

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Comparing the pics on the OP and with the link that @Sliter posted, it may be a fake because the HAL logo is missing (Look beside the barcode in both the gamefaqs link and your images). Additionally, I haven't seen any DS games whose cellophane outer wrapping has the Nintendo logo printed on it. It's usually unmarked.
All the games i bought had the nintendo logo on the wrapping, however with the HAL logo missing, the bar code and the Nintendo Seal of Quality being weird it could be a fake.

OT, where did you get the game?? If it's off ebay try checking the reviews of other users who bought from the same seller.

loco365

Trophies
XP
All the games i bought had the nintendo logo on the wrapping, however with the HAL logo missing, the bar code and the Nintendo Seal of Quality being weird it could be a fake.

OT, where did you get the game?? If it's off ebay try checking the reviews of other users who bought from the same seller.
No games here had it, at least from what I saw while working in the electronics department at Target, it might be an overseas thing though since you're apparently from Croatia. However, with it having the ESRB logo, it can be assumed that it's a USA copy of the game.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
No games here had it, at least from what I saw while working in the electronics department at Target, it might be an overseas thing though since you're apparently from Croatia. However, with it having the ESRB logo, it can be assumed that it's a USA copy of the game.

Oh yea I completely forgot about that. Our games usually have that kind of wrapping, I can''t recall whether my Radiant Historia Import had the same wrapper or not, but I just checked the seal of quality on my games and this one is a lot darker than it should be .

Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am sorry if anyone who replied or was interested in this topic was awaiting a quicker response. I just got around to dealing with the issue topic.
So, I took fischermasamune's advice and contacted the seller, honestly listing and explaining the situation (by the way, the seller was third party off Amazon). He refunded my purchase. I asked if he wanted the copy sent back and was told more than once (since I asked/insisted more than once, you know to let them know I was serious and being honest) that they did not want the return and I keep it. The result is the fake is sitting in a corner. They do not sell this game anymore, so you cannot find the seller that way. Anyhow, with my refunded money, I eventually bought another new copy! From Amazon seller. The price was a few cents difference.
The new copy ordered arrived now and yeah the difference is impressive. This one has the shiny cover (the characters are sparkly too), the images are not blurry, the HAL Logo is where it needs to be, and there is no weird nintendo seal around the plastic (Joe88, I did not notice the circle thing on that fake until reading your post. Interesting find).
I added the images of the new purchase. I guess the only thing bothering me is the wrap openng is on the spine instead of the opening/hollow area (see new 3) and there is some damage? in the hollow (see new 5).
If this thread does somehow still receive viewers and they are willing to input, do DS games (especially older variety) have the wrapping sometimes reversed? I am used to seeing the wrapping the other way. Also, is the damage? normal on some cases? I payed for a new game, so it would disappoint to find the one I bought a rewrapped used (at least, if it is, I want a discount).

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 420
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 392
  • new 3.JPG
    new 3.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 364
  • new5.jpg
    new5.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 377

Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, so responses to discussions bump them?
Anyway, if anyone reads this, I added a bit about wishing to know how to find out if a game is new or rewrap (based on plastic around game case). Read prior message towards the last paragraph. Pictures "new 3" and "new 5" included show in detail, sort of. Can put up any other images requested on topic.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, so common topic (somewhat) but if you get a new copy of an unopened game, is there any way for certain to verify if the item might be fake?
I attached my concern of purchase "Kirby Super Star Ultra". It came from a US seller, but the packing's colors are off, there is no shine around the title and background, and slight blur to the images.

Most suspicious indication lies with the fact the back cover does not have the HAL logo next to the Nintendo copyright.
I don't know.....It just seems off......

Edit extra: The front picture cover can be deceiving. The star circle actually appears that way in at any angle and the flash made the characters brighter. Oh, and another noticed feature is that the white trim around the word "Kirby" is inconsistant. The lower corner K and sort of under the "ir". Compare other online images.

Who cares man?

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Answering both quotes, some fake copies don't work with DSi or 3DS units.
and some funcionatilties would not work well, even if working on then

by the way would be interesting for unlaunched games/ fan translation ... (even that it's injust for the fan translation group that someone else are getting profit from their free hard work :v )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans