Hardware Joy Cons reported choppy when blocked by hand

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well they do no motion controls work when you have them plugged into the tablet the touch controls activate instead.
What is the advantage of designing it that way? If the motion controls are turned off on the joycons when plugged into the tablet then they would have to include a third gyro in the tablet itself because motion controls are most definitely active in handheld mode. (Example Splatoon 2 aiming)

D

Deleted User

Well, that could be a deal breaker for me. I'll wait and see other ppl responses, i guess...

LichbannMejolaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nintendo nintendoing as usual.

Please tell me that there is a way to fix this via software. A joycon recall would be the final nail on Nintendo's coffin.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is a software fix already, it's called use portable mode. /s
Just wait and test it on your own, perhaps it's not so bad, perhaps it affects only some early systems.
No reason to get crazy over this.
Ofc, never buy at launch (tm), that is common sense. Wait and see.

Reactions: Aerocool

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What is the advantage of designing it that way? If the motion controls are turned off on the joycons when plugged into the tablet then they would have to include a third gyro in the tablet itself because motion controls are most definitely active in handheld mode. (Example Splatoon 2 aiming)
how would you use motion controls with a tablet wave the tablet around the room?!

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Isn't there is a dock for joycon when in docked mode? Isn't was make so your hands doesn't entirely block the joycon?

thorasgar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't there is a dock for joycon when in docked mode? Isn't was make so your hands doesn't entirely block the joycon?
Yes there is the grip. This is likely to only be a problem when the joycons are in 1/2 controller mode and it the user either has large hands or is holding it is an unconventional manner. Also the farther away from the tablet the joyless Con is the weaker the connection.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
After reading how Nintendo is delaying the Virtual Console this whole launch feels rushed.

Nintendo did not learn from their mistakes.

The main launch is November
They put it out in March like 3DS to give them a soft launch, so far there appear to be some issues
The wireless isn't like the Wii mote but hopefully this doesn't become a major issue, im still looking at the video myself

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watch there will be recall on them lol...
But yea its just the bluetooth not making it back to the switch.
This happen on the wii u. Some people where able to play in the other room or down stairs, while others where not able to more then 10ft from there wii u.

its all about the signal in your house and how good the signal from controller to switch is.
I do wonder why is it only the left one tho.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I wonder how that YouTuber never became bigger as the years passed, he just stayed at the same rate as he always was.. that'd disappointing.

Limited Bluetooth connectivity?
Care to elaborate @Saiyan Lusitano?

Yes, http://nintendoeverything.com/no-support-for-bluetooth-headsets-on-switch/

Ever hear of the Wii U Gamepad that uses motion controls?
Is that WiiU Gamepad an add-on for the Wii?

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=SbG3F9RwlcY

Gamexplain has this video up showing if you cover either Joy Con with your and the signal gets choppy. Never tried this with a regular controller because, well, both hands are on it. Not sure if this is a real world problem or not.

Can't wait for Nintendo to come out and say, "Your holding it wrong."
I mean, what does it really matter? No one's just going to carry the JoyCon like that anyway....

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
news flash if you block the IR censor on a tv remote it won't work either!
f_facepalm.gif
Newsflash: Bluetooth isn't infrared.

Wii Remotes and the Wii U Pro Controller also used Bluetooth, though it was 2.0 and they didn't use the trademark.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

thorasgar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forwarded that link and another one to a reporter here to investigate. That traces back to a French website and a Japanese to French translation. So at the moment it is unverified as far as I am concerned. it just seem preposterous to me, but so are a lot of things N does. Notice none of the big sites have picked up on it yet.

I dont think this is a big deal. unless your sitting 10ft away from your TV.
My gaming room is small but a lot of people in the US have large family rooms. 10 ft or more is a very common viewing distance, especially with the monster TVs out now.

Last edited by thorasgar,

Judas18

Queen Kunty
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I suppose using a lower strength frequency to conserve battery life would do that. Water has a way of absorbing radiowaves, humans are around 60% water so if you cover the controllers with a part of your body you'll probably end up desyncing the controller. Technically fixable with a firmware update but at the cost of shorter battery life for the joy-con.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y