Journey to the Miiverse

Zero Dozer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh God. And here I was thinking they only didn't know how to play Metroid.

Jesus, those guys think the Miiverse is like 4chan. They're on a higly advanced stage of mental retardation.

Well, so much for my first message, but I had to say it.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I know that this is the EoF, but I'd like to get serious here (just for a moment, don't worry) and state my opinion of Miiverse. At first I thought it was ridiculous, partly because of the name. When they started out it was insanely strict, if you even thought about saying "poop" (or posted www.HacksDen.com in my your profile) you got a 2-week ban.

Then they started easing up. Light swearing is usually allowed (just don't make it an insult), and people post some hilarious stuff. Sometimes when I get bored I just go to Miiverse and look through the great comments, or view some of the impressive art people have drawn. I absolutely love it. It's also satisfying helping new gamers get past obstacles (especially in VC games) that would otherwise cause a rage-quit.

I've been playing Oblivion on PC for a few weeks and I keep wanting to pause the game and post a screenshot on Miiverse, but then remembering I can't do that.

Reactions: raulpica

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
hD2957B19

Reactions: raulpica

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know that this is the EoF, but I'd like to get serious here (just for a moment, don't worry) and state my opinion of Miiverse. At first I thought it was ridiculous, partly because of the name. When they started out it was insanely strict, if you even thought about saying "poop" (or posted www.HacksDen.com in my your profile) you got a 2-week ban.

Then they started easing up. Light swearing is usually allowed (just don't make it an insult), and people post some hilarious stuff. Sometimes when I get bored I just go to Miiverse and look through the great comments, or view some of the impressive art people have drawn. I absolutely love it. It's also satisfying helping new gamers get past obstacles (especially in VC games) that would otherwise cause a rage-quit.

I've been playing Oblivion on PC for a few weeks and I keep wanting to pause the game and post a screenshot on Miiverse, but then remembering I can't do that.
The problem with MiiVerse is that Nintendo is still very much afraid of "everything Internet" - they dipped a toe in, they've decided that the stream is cold and decided to return to their blanket. The MiiVerse has all the potential to become Nintendo's console equivalent of Facebook, including video and photo sharing, proper Friends List that work on MiiVerse and in-game, automatic collection and sharing of the dreaded Friend Codes etc., but they have to brave themselves into it or it'll always be "politically correct first and foremost" and it will never reach its full potential because "think of the children!".

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The problem with MiiVerse is that Nintendo is still very much afraid of "everything Internet" - they dipped a toe in, they've decided that the stream is cold and decided to return to their blanket. The MiiVerse has all the potential to become Nintendo's console equivalent of Facebook, including video and photo sharing, proper Friends List that work on MiiVerse and in-game, automatic collection and sharing of the dreaded Friend Codes etc., but they have to brave themselves into it or it'll always be "politically correct first and foremost" and it will never reach its full potential because "think of the children!".
You really should look into things before complaining about them. :P

The friend system is fine. There is no friend-code system on the Wii U. It works just like any other setup. If you like someone, send them a friend request. It logs all the names of people you've played online with recently too, so if you liked someone on chat and forgot to send a request in-game, you can do it later. I've even run across a few people from GBAtemp on Monster Hunter and added them.

There is a messaging system in Miiverse, and you can call people (video and/or audio) through Wii U Chat.

I'm glad it's stricter than other systems too. We don't need broadcasts of men undressing unconscious women showing up on Miiverse like on PSN.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really should look into things before complaining about them. :P

The friend system is fine. There is no friend-code system on the Wii U. It works just like any other setup. If you like someone, send them a friend request. It logs all the names of people you've played online with recently too, so if you liked someone on chat and forgot to send a request in-game, you can do it later. I've even run across a few people from GBAtemp on Monster Hunter and added them.

There is a messaging system in Miiverse, and you can call people (video and/or audio) through Wii U Chat.

I'm glad it's stricter than other systems too. We don't need broadcasts of men undressing unconscious women showing up on Miiverse like on PSN.

He may be speaking of the severely neutered 3DS version of miiverse. No messaging, no direct adding (and if you attempt to contact someone to add you for a trade or whatever you get moderated), etc.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
He may be speaking of the severely neutered 3DS version of miiverse. No messaging, no direct adding (and if you attempt to contact someone to add you for a trade or whatever you get moderated), etc.
The 3DS version sucks, but I think it's based on the web version due to limited amount of memory. Maybe the new 3DS will allow messaging. It all depends on if they dedicate more memory to background processes, or if it all goes to the games.

As for the friend system, that's just the way the DS series is. It's been that way for a decade, and I doubt it will ever change.

Edit: If you're talking about something like this, it's reasonable to expect the discussion is about the full version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1