John Romero and Adrian Carmack reunite for new FPS Blackroom

photo-original.png

The creators of id Software and some of gaming's most iconic games are back with a new Kickstarter campaign with a goal of $700,000. Once the goal is reached, development will start immediately and the developers will secure the remaining funds with investors. The game is scheduled for a PC and Mac release in winter 2018.

The Kickstarter campaign describes Blackroom as "a visceral, varied and violent shooter that harkens back to classic FPS play with a mixture of exploration, speed, and intense, weaponized combat. Use fast, skillful movement to dodge enemy attacks, circle-strafe your foes, and rule the air as you rocket jump in the single- and multiplayer modes. BLACKROOM launches with unique multiplayer maps and robust modding support for the community to make diabolical creations of their own design."

:arrow: SOURCE

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ah! Well, it remains to be seen! Romero uses some self-praise in the KS campaign video to promote the game. Hope he lives up to those expectations!
Romero was the mind behind Daikatana to begin with - it's called John Romero's Daikatana. :P We'll see though, we'll see.

Reactions: Prans

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm getting very distinct Daikatana shivers down my spine. Can we trust Carmack not to blow this one too?
I mean you have the creator of daikatana using the platform that's been exploited for the most disappointing videogame releases of recent times, that sure has the potential to be an explosive combination

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not backing it, but I hope it gets funded. Should have brought Tom Hall back too... and why not John Carmack. :D
I just realized that the project involves Adrian and not John, which removes a certain degree of "funny" from my joke. Still, Romero is in full effect, so there's still a chance that this will either be the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since haggies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow, almost a million.
That goal is more ambitious than a pretentious forgotten rock star... Oh wait... John Romero.
To be fair, it goes in line with current trends - think back to Shenmue 3, Broken Sword 5 or Wasteland 2 projects. There's potential here, and chances are that the Kickstarter is supposed to gin up publicity more than anything else. What I don't like is that there's no existing alpha. It's hard to back a project that exists only on paper - at least games like Shroud of the Avatar or Star Citizen actually exist in some capacity, so it's easier to build backer confidence.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think that $700k and 2,5 year dev time is kinda small for a 10H long campaign, with Co-op & separate multiplayer.
I mean Inafune got nearly 4 Million and still struggles to release a bloody 2D platformer.

Reactions: ov3rkill

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by sarkwalvein,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The creators of id Software and some of gaming's most iconic games are back with a new Kickstarter campaign with a goal of $700,000. Once the goal is reached, development will start immediately and the developers will secure the remaining funds with investors. The game is scheduled for a PC and Mac release in winter 2018.

The Kickstarter campaign describes Blackroom as "a visceral, varied and violent shooter that harkens back to classic FPS play with a mixture of exploration, speed, and intense, weaponized combat. Use fast, skillful movement to dodge enemy attacks, circle-strafe your foes, and rule the air as you rocket jump in the single- and multiplayer modes. BLACKROOM launches with unique multiplayer maps and robust modding support for the community to make diabolical creations of their own design."

:arrow: SOURCE
Awesome! Hopefully will be fun.

Though I disapprove of their not using the Oxford comma and using it, both in the same paragraph. Sloppy, sloppy.

What's that? No one cares about that except for me? Whatevs, Oxford fo' life!

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is John Romero's 3rd KS he has been involved in directly or indirectly, in about as many years. He'll never live down the "make you his bitch" thing. I actually don't know why he bothers anymore since he honestly hasn't put out anything worthwhile since the Ion Storm days. And that is most notably Anachronox (which Tom Hall directed) and he gave Warren Spector a place to create Deus Ex.

I won't be supporting it, it looks like a cool project, but he really needs to make some smaller games prove himself again then try for loftier games like this. Otherwise people will never forgive him for something he did almost 20 years ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y