Jaywalking is kind of a stupid law.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Disclaimer : I only read the beginning text, ie the TC's thoughts.

I kind of disagree with your assumption, to be direct, no one really wants to get hit by a car while walking in the road, but these things happen quite a lot, especially on highways (Where some drivers think is a race track), that's why on these road(s) there are alternative ways to cross it like overpasses, and thus possible jaywalking fines when you go thru the road. Everyone obeying those jaywalking laws in theory would save lives.

So sometimes knowledge or common sense are not enough and it can cause accidents so sometimes these laws are needed.

Even passing through the crosswalks isn't necessarily safe until the driver(s) have stopped their cars otherwise they could be heading to run over the pedestrians, which has happen over time and still does.

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
Even passing through the crosswalks isn't necessarily safe until the driver(s) have stopped their cars otherwise they could be heading to run over the pedestrians, which has happen over time and still does.

Of course, but using that argument is like saying since seatbelts doesn't save people everytime we should just stop using them. And I have actually heard people arguing this. Just as great as "I'm gonna get dirty anyway, so why take a bath anymore?" :P

Even then. Where I live there's a saying, it goes: "everyone is the blacksmith of their own fate" and I believe in that principle strongly. If I have an accident that happens due to my own negligence, I have nobody to blame but myself - I should've taken better measures in ensuring that it doesn't happen. Maybe I expect too much of others, expect them to be responsible for themselves in a day and age when burning yourself with an obviously hot coffee is grounds for a lawsuit, but I choose to present reasons why wearing a seatbelt and a helmet is important rather than put the helmet on someone or strap that someone into their seat for "their own good". I expect adults to be adults. If, as an adult, you are told that 9 out of 10 accidents end in death when you're not wearing a helmet and only 4 out of 10 when you do and you *still* choose not to wear it, godspeed and good luck - society did its part, the consequences are yours, you were informed.

My only issue with this is "How about the innocent people who have been forged by your own blacksmithing?" They did not request you to smith something for them..... Accidents usually involve two parties, either two fools, or a perpetrator and a victim.:)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My only issue with this is "How about the innocent people who have been forged by your own blacksmithing?" They did not request you to smith something for them..... Accidents usually involve two parties, either two fools, or a perpetrator and a victim.:)
Not wearing a seatbelt does not decrease your capacity to drive, I fail to see your point. I sincerely doubt there's been a single car crash in history caused by not wearing a seatbelt.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Of course, but using that argument is like saying since seatbelts doesn't save people everytime we should just stop using them. And I have actually heard people arguing this. Just as great as "I'm gonna get dirty anyway, so why take a bath anymore?" :P

If people don't want to wear seatbelts they shouldn't however, for those under 18 they need just in case they come jumping to the front.

Anyway, I use seatbelt all the time (although I use public transport way more often) so wearing it has become normal to me.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think military recruiters should be allowed in schools. I lost a good friend who was pressured into joining. By lost I mean he's now sitting in a hospital and doesn't respond to outside stimulus.

I wish children couldn't take out school loans and that school loans where still bankrupt-able. And private loans didn't exist.

In regards to crosswalks, remember that a green light (walk signal) says you can go, NOT that it is safe to go.

When I was in highschool, I played on the football team for about a month (before I found out that only established legacy families got to play, explaining the losing record my school had) and I can tell you, a 200+ lbs person moving at 5-7mph hurts like hell. I can only imagine having a 200+ lbs person slam into my windshield at 50+ mph. I'm sure he/she is going through it, cell phone with half a text message and all. I guess its fine since they didn't look stupid wearing their safety belt and since they are the blacksmiths of their own lives, shame my life could end once again because of someone elses bad decision.

I don't mind people doing what ever they want, so long as it doesn't hurt others. And not that bullcrap about hurt feelings, I mean physically like in stolen goods and attempted physical harm. Words are words, and just sounds. Letting them offend you is ridiculous.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Pedestrian crossings are there for a reason idiot. Jaywalking is there for that exact same reason. If you cross at the crossing its safer as you most likely wont get hit by a car. If you cross anywhere else you have a chance to get hit by a car. The jaywalking fine is a fine for you being an idiot and crossing where its not safe.
Where I am they said last year there were about 600+ deaths from idiots not using the crossing and getting hit by cars in the city alone. The jaywalking fine is towards those idiots.
Just use the crossing and live and save some money.
Crosswalks aren't necessarily any safer because if you start moving the car coming by might not stop and there's another crash, so even in times like this it's not always the best. Gotta wait till they stop completely or when it's empty.

By the way, I don't think you said the word `idiot` enough times yet.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crosswalks aren't necessarily any safer because if you start moving the car coming by might not stop and there's another crash, so even in times like this it's not always the best. Gotta wait till they stop completely or when it's empty.

By the way, I don't think you said the word `idiot` enough times yet.
Crosswalks are absolutely safer, they just aren't invulnerability zones. Anyone who crosses at a crosswalk without looking is as much of an idiot as crossing in the middle of the road. It's impossible to tell if that car going really fast in the turn lane is going to stop where they should, stop halfway past the line (which happens oh so often), or not stop at all. You don't want to turn into a pedeadstrian, after all.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i almost got hit by a car (car was backing out for no reason) i was not paying heed to what the hell was going on. the person saw me. i'm like WTF? so i just walked away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone