Hacking Jailbreak for a noob

twig123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, I know... I'm a n00b
I am thinking the same thing as I'm writing this.

I just acquired a PS3 that I fixed (had YLOD).
The PS3 that I have is an old 80GB Fat system with Firmware v3.15
I know almost nothing about the PS3 Scene, last I kept track of Wanin was just starting to work on PS3 stuff.
(I've only been following the Wii Scene since I didn't have a PS3 until now)

I really have no Idea where to start in order to Jailbreak the system to play backups.
I've read the FAQ and the PSGroove stickies, but it is only confusing me more, as I couldn't find a step by step guide.
The PSGroove sticky mentions that it supports "Other devices" (I have a Sansa E200, which should be compatible).
I can't find where it says how to install it, just a download it here type deal with no instructions...

Anyways, I've read some things that state you don't need a device/dongle to jailbreak (and not needed on every boot).
From what I understand, this is a Custom Firmware that would do this.

So, my question...
Would someone be willing to walk me through, point me in the right direction or link me to a dummies guide for getting this going?

Thanks

Nobunaga

Empty
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
just update to 3.55 Kmeaw cfw
First use the official firmware 3.55 and then 3.55 cfw
Then download your backup managers and play
tongue.gif

twig123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, thanks both of you for the info! (Why isn't that stickied?!)
I think that should get me most of the way where I want to be.

A couple questions though...
In your thread, someone mentioned you need a payload to play backed up games... is that right?

Someone else said that Wanin's CFW already has a payload, but from reading it sounds like kmeaw's CFW is the best. Does kmeaw 's already have the needed things to play backups (besides the BM)?

lastly, the wife is crazy about the thought of playing the PSOne Spyro games again...
I think I've read there is a PSOne emulator, is that any good (full speed?)?
Also, I believe Spyro was available as PSN download... is it possible to "find" copies of PSN games and play those backups?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
EDIT: It's not stickied yet because it's not polished enough yet. When the guide has matured to it's final form, or if there's enough demand, a mod will sticky it.

Wanin's V2 CFW has the payload preloaded, kmeaw's CFW doesn't. Doesn't mean much since Gaia and Rogero already comes with the payload anyway. Multiman 1.16.00 took out the payload out (according to the notes) but seems to work anyway.

Somebody said that because Wanin's CFW has the payload preloaded, it doesn't experience as many freezing problems as kmeaw's. The only freeze I've ever had is once when I used Gaia for 4 hours (Rogero and Multiman seem to handle over 7 hours without any freezes). On the other hand, I've heard from a few people now that Wanin's CFW isn't as stable as kmeaw's CFW.

Lacking the time and patience to test every combination, I can't offer any more advice. I also don't know anything about PS1 emulation on PS3 or pirating PSN games (actually all sources I've heard from say pirating PSN is currently impossible - either for games, themes or DLC). It might be better just to consider PSX emulation on PC - that's been running stable for a long time now.

twig123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently my system is a model with backwards compatibility, so we just headed up to the local game shop and picked up a copy of Spyro for PSOne and another for PS2 (cheaper than amazon or ebay!). The wife is now happy!

I'm was probably going to attempt the jailbreak in a couple hours, wish me luck! =)

twig123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright! Got my jailbreak done!
...Time for more questions =P

I installed 3.55 OFW, then updated to 3.55 CFW (kmeaw).
I found a copy of multiMAN 1.16.06 and installed that PKG

When I start multiMAN, I get a message:
"multiMAN cannot enable BD-ROM emulator. Functionality may be restricted!"
I read that I need a lv2 PKG, so I found lv2 v9 and installed that PKG.
Running lv2 before multiMAN makes it work and the games playable, however, how do I bypass having to use lv2 every time I want to play a game?

I'm so confused, because the PS3 Scene isn't as organized as the Wii...
Some people say that you need a bdemu PKG and some say you need lv2, while others say that both are not needed on the 3.55 CFW (kmeaw). I've also read that multiMAN 1.16.06 has bug fixes and such but has had some things removed (maybe causing me to need lv2???).
Should I be using a different BM? or is there a "fix" that I don't need to run every time for multiMAN?

(More questions... I know, I know... but I'm trying to catch up to the current knowledge curve)
I read something that an older version of multiMAN supported PS2 playback from USB (for BC system)? is this still in the new(er) versions, and does anyone have any feedback on how to get it going?

Last question for the night:
Wow, PS3 games are huge compared to Wii games! Is there an automatic way to strip out un-needed files (Ex: Updates, Languages... etc.) from backed-up games (kinda like the Wii backup managers do)?

I really thank you all for putting up with me while I'm learning this new (to me) system!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
bdemu.pkg is needed to use the BD emulation method (supposed to fix black-screen games, but it seems there aren't any yet). Once it's installed, run a game in Multiman using select+X.

If Multiman isn't working for you because they took out the payload in 1.16.00, then try using Gaia or Rogero, which should still have the payload in.

I don't know anything about PS2 playback from USB - as far as I know it's never been possible.

As for the size of PS3 games... there's really not much you can do about it. The PS3_UPDATE folder isn't that big, and if you start messing with the PS3_GAME files you run the risk of making it freeze more often (if it even runs). My advice: consider investing in an external 1TB drive. 2.5" externals are 25% more expensive than 3.5" externals, but don't require any more power than a single USB port to run. Either way, they're still relatively cheap.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
twig123 said:
Running lv2 before multiMAN makes it work and the games playable, however, how do I bypass having to use lv2 every time I want to play a game?You can use Multiman 1.15.x, the payload was included back then.

bdemu is used to access the bluray drive (I think) like for dumping the games and film yourself. I don't know if bdemu alone is enough to prevent the use of lv2fix v9 each time. you can try to install bdemu and see if the games are booting without the need of the payload first.
Else, either use Gaia (or rogero), or MultiMan 1.15.x, though you won't have NTFS support, but you will at least have "black games" support.

Black games are only compatible from External HDD, there's Eternal Sonata which needs it for example.

PS2 compatibility was only a test Dean wanted to try and wasn't successful.

QUOTE(twig123 @ Mar 6 2011, 09:30 AM) Wow, PS3 games are huge compared to Wii games! Is there an automatic way to strip out un-needed files (Ex: Updates, Languages... etc.) from backed-up games (kinda like the Wii backup managers do)?
This is not like the Wii. The games are already "scrubbed" to use only the actual game size and not the iso size (50GB).

What you need is a way to remove content manually like the update file (250Mb), and languages files you don't use (video/audio/graphics/etc.).
I think there were a tool to do that, I don't remember the name. If I find it again I'll post back here.
In the meanwhile, you can delete the PS3UPDAT.PUP file manually before transferring the game to HDD or using an FTP homebrew to edit the internal HDD.

As Originality said, You better don't touch the data, you won't gain that much place anyway.

twig123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, thanks for the info.
I opted to find a copy of bdemu...
Installed that and now multiMAN is working without any issues!

As for PS2 from USB, I guess it looks like that isn't going to happen (strange support for reading PS2 files is still in the newest multiMAN, unless it is a WIP).

I gassed up the PS3 with some emulators, this puppy is starting to cook! =)

I think I'm done needing to ask the technical questions (for now).
However, ya'll got any good multiplayer (offline) games to suggest (as the must have list doesn't state single or multi-player)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome