Iwata: Nintendo to expand beyond games

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many years ago was that? 25? It's also worth noting that the conflict between the two companies during their partnership has led sony to make their thing on their own and they proceeded to destroy the N64 shortly after. Perhaps nintendo got overly defensive since that happened.

I'm not disagreeing on that aspect. But as you pointed out that was years ago. If Nintendo reached out to the right company, and laid out the rules through a contract and whatnot from the getgo, it could ensure that they wouldn't get fucked over with the creation of such a smartphone.

dario14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no good sir.

What we need is things like the eShop gone.

I don't mean to get further off topic here, so I apologize if that happens. First of all, what's wrong with the eShop? I don't own a 3ds so I'm not familiar with it.
Maybe this belongs in a new/different thread, but I'm still interested in the idea of a Nintendo smartphone. Could it compete with current phones on the market? No, but there might be a niche for people who care more about games than bleeding edge specs. I not an engineer, but how hard would it be to slim down a 3ds and add 3/4G data, voice and text capability and sell it for $350-400? I'd buy one.

What keeps me from buying a 3ds (or a dingoo/jvx) is that I don't want to carry more than one device in my pocket. Some people think that Nintendo should follow Sega and produce games for other platforms including iOS and Android. I think this would be a mistake, but the truth is that whether or not Nintendo likes it, scores of people are already playing their games on Android phones for free anyways. My $200 Moto G runs Mupen64plus AE really well. DS emulation is decent nowadays and Dolphin for Android is getting better and better. It's only a matter of time before we can play Wind Waker flawlessly on a Nexus 6 or 7, and probably with hires textures. Still even good emulation can be janky and requires lsome tinkering to run well (and then you still need to strap a ps3 controller or something to your phone). I still do it but sometimes I'd rather just fire up a game without worrying about framerates and the app crashing, and use well-designed integrated controls. My point is, maybe there are more people like me that Nintendo can go after and sell 3ds phones to, meanwhile protecting their IP. This market exists but it is being served by the Chinese with products like the JXD5800 (3G and makes calls). Nintendo could kick ass here with their own phone. Until that happens, their sales will continue to diminish while more and more people are playing Ocarina of Time on a Nexus or Chinese device.

JXD5800 here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2JH1BV1676

Reactions: WhiteMaze

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stand corrected. The future is now! lol

already been done :P

super_nintoaster_02.jpg

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like there is a lot of this going on all of a sudden. Games releasing with movies, books, sound tracks, TV shows, cloths, and on and on and on.

What's new? It's marketing plain and simple. All one can hope for is that they trust their IPs in imaginative and talented hands...

...unlike the curse we were plagued with in their 80's venture into the world of Saturn Day morning cartoons.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well this is nothing that appeals to me.
it will all be vitality sensors and pedometers.

Waste of resources IMO.

Interesting prediction.

Reviving the old sensors.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/05/nintendo-wii-vitality-sensor-dead/
which they canned cuz it only worked 90% of the time, not 100%.

vitalitysensordead619pxhedimg[1].jpg

It probably won't require a WiiMote.

Regardless of what it is .... I'll give it an apriori failure estimation at 90%.
Like I said earlier, I thought it was mostly a distraction technique.
To hope investors stay with Ninty stock because they "are diversifying".

Hard to say how many more Hardware failures Nintendo can go through.

They should probably get out of all hardware ventures - other than a 3DS successor.

I cant see them making another home console.

Even if they wanted to .... times have changed Nintendo can't do it alone.
3rd party developers arent interested in them making a Home Console.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the thing though, there are a lot of living room developers out there that would love to be able to market their creations, but can not afford the licensing costs and so forth to get their material released on the Wii U, 3DS or what have you, on their low salary jobs. Only the already wealthy can succeed in that market for the most part, people born into wealth, or those with nice paying jobs.

Besides, unbalanced contracts, and high licensing costs are part of what drives the home brew and hacking community. There are developers all over the place, especially in the realm of computers, that are churning out ports, and original creations, both free and commercial, merely because of passion. Consoles would never get hacked if there wasn't a passion to develop home brew on it. And just because one able hacker has no interest in Wii U development, it doesn't mean another won't.

There is a lot of opportunity development wise between the 3DS and Wii U. So much that could be done, and so much innovation at that. If I could purchase the right to use the Crytek engine or what have you, to develop my own creations for the Wii U and sell them on their store at a rate I could afford (I currently earn an all time low of about $11,000 a year not counting what I make on the side doing PC work & such), then I would be in 7th heaven. Alas I'd be able to take the time to create to my heart's content, and possibly put bread on my table should my heart have the ability to produce enjoyable games, story lines, and so forth.

It's a dog eat dog world governed by money, power, influence, control, and well generally the 7 deadly sins. It would be very nice to see at least one console company come along and provide a way for everyone (within reason, gotta keep the store clean) to have an opportunity on their hardware.

To dream.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't get where you are going here. If I see more people with a smartphone than a 3DS than this is pure evidence that mobile directly impacts handhelds?

All you have really been saying here is that mobile devices do extremely well and everyone has one. However, I have yet to see any actual evidence or stats that help your point that handhelds are directly suffering because of mobile device success.

You also have to consider that these devices, viewed as gaming devices, offer completely different games and experiences, and pander to different audiences. Plus the success of mobile can also be contributed to other factors such as being a "do everything" device, but that's at the expense of being mediocre for games.

Well, Nintendo and Sony are Japanese companies, so when you talk about the overall success they have in the handheld market, it kind of does matter. Also, the mobile "fad" has swept Japan just as it had with western territories, so I don't know where you're going with that.

If you want western sales data so much, the only thing I can provide you is a VGChartz spreadsheet but they pull sales data out of their ass. These are points you are trying to make so it's up to you to provide something other than anecdotal evidence.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

If you don't believe the mobile market has been and will eventually consume the handheld market, that is your opinion.

I do believe it, and we see evidence of it everywhere. You talk about Japan. Well of course, handheld is still doing well in Japan. The gaming industry will always thrive in Japan, because it was born from it. The Japanese would buy 3DS's and Ps Vita's even after they would be obsolete, if it meant maintaining the country's handheld gaming legacy.

Basically you're saying that Spaghetti is doing well in Italy, therefore, it is doing well worldwide. Which is a very flawed and wrong assumption.

And then you talk about the "quality" of the games being mediocre on mobile devices. Well, yes to some extent that is quite true. Yet, the mobile gaming industry is thriving.

Because the problem here, is not that the quality is not as good as its handheld counterpart. The problem here, is that you need to buy ANOTHER device just for gaming alone, regardless of quality, which casual gamers will not do if they already have a gaming option on their everyday device.

And like it or not, the gaming industry doesn't thrive on Hardcore gamers alone. It needs the casual gamers. Why was the Wii so successfull? It sure as well wasn't because it had a lot of quality games...

Unfortunately for both you and me, the Wii thrived on the crappy living room bowling and ping pong games that the Wii offered. Not on Zelda Skysword or Super Smash Bros Brawl.

And so will the mobile industry.

Unless companies like Nintendo and Sony introduce new things, and enter the new Android and iOS markets, they will never regain the handheld market outside Japan. The handheld market is slowly becoming the mobile market.

Clearly you don't like that. Neither do I. A lot of people don't actually. But that doesn't mean I don't see it. And that doesn't mean I won't admit it.

EDIT: Not my words:

What keeps me from buying a 3ds (or a dingoo/jvx) is that I don't want to carry more than one device in my pocket.

Just a confirmation of what I just told you Dark S.

D

Dork

If you don't believe the mobile market has been and will eventually consume the handheld market, that is your opinion.
Well, for some reason you refuse to provide any evidence for you claims. In fact you use a single GBAtemp post as confirmation for your whole thing, which again is just an anecdotal.

As far as I'm concerned this isn't a matter of opinions. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but it won't change the facts.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, for some reason you refuse to provide any evidence for you claims. In fact you use a single GBAtemp post as confirmation for your whole thing, which again is just an anecdotal.

As far as I'm concerned this isn't a matter of opinions. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but it won't change the facts.

Well, it was nice discussing with you sir, but I can see along with the insults, that this conversation isn't going anywhere.

Good day.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Where did I insult you?

Well maybe not directly, but taking into account the aggressiveness with which you have been responding to my posts along with calling my arguments "anecdotal", I don't believe this is the most polite of conversations.

In any case, I really do hope your right. After all, I'm a gamer myself.

But what I have been seeing these past few years is not the bright future you seem to say that the handheld market has.

If anything, it seems to be "reaching out" to less and less people...

Long were the days where everyone knew what a GameBoy Advance is. Nowadays you speak of a Nintendo 3DS to your friends, and they respond with a confused face :unsure:

A shame really.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm pretty sure spaghetti is still going strong worldwide.

Here's some suggested reading: http://existentialcomics.com/comic/9

We'll yes my friend it is doing strong. So is pizza.

My point was that you shouldn't consider a product a worldwide success if it only thrives in its home country.

The comic is nice though, I am an artist myself!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    You use paper towels too? :rofl2:
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Better keep the safe place 'safe'
    Bounty. The quicker picker upper? lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Aloe vera now with rgb
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    On a serious note, have you tested your ISP DNS answer time ?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Last time i've checked, my ISP was like 5/6 ms slower than Cloudflare x)
    yeah. I've tried changing dns too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    females don't exist
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Tamales exist.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @ZeroT21, Tamales exist. +1