Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I just don't like it. I don't think I'm biased towards older music because of nostalgia either because I'm only fourteen.

I've just always liked classic rock and metal, none of the modern pop songs I hear seem to have really deep lyrics or instrumental and seem too uhhhhh... poppy. Maybe I'm just hearing the wrong music or something.
In the end I think it really just boils down to personal taste really, I'm just weird. Anyone else like this?

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe me, 90% (being generous here by leaving 10% as possibly good.) of pop music is shit. It's been that way since pop was a thing.

Pop music is mostly for casual listeners. Not those that actually are into music. There are exceptions tho like with all things.

Last edited by V0ltr0n,

Proust

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Don't take yourself too seriously. Just enjoy what you enjoy.
My own music spectrum is so diverse that depending on my mood I don't mind putting some Ariane Grande or Lady Gaga through my speakers from time to time and give myself to it; While a half hour ago I could have listened to a classical piece of Chopin for example.
You're just sending impulses to your body and brain, yours only like rock and metal (both I'm not very keen on). Which is all fine :-)

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please, take my post in the nicest way. I'm not trying to be a douche.

You are 14. You are in the age where kids grow up and want to rebel to something. For countless people it's music. You hate pop because it's famous, you like metal and rock and old music because it's old and no one ever talks about it. You'd think you are special, but you aren't. You are a carbon copy of the hipster teenager and, I can assure you, most of your peers have passed through this. Just explore different genres and enjoy what you like the most and never, ever feel ashamed for what kind of music you like.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

You are 14. You are in the age where kids grow up and want to rebel to something. For countless people it's music. You hate pop because it's famous, you like metal and rock and old music because it's old and no one ever talks about it. You'd think you are special, but you aren't. You are a carbon copy of the hipster teenager and, I can assure you, most of your peers have passed through this. Just explore different genres and enjoy what you like the most and never, ever feel ashamed for what kind of music you like.
Nah, I don't feel I'm special. It does make me feel cool to "rebel" and like old music though. And actually a lot of the music I like is what my dad likes which probably rubbed off on me.

Acrux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aye, old rock. i love old music. its so pure and original, unlike most of todays music

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just don't like it. I don't think I'm biased towards older music because of nostalgia either because I'm only fourteen.

I've just always liked classic rock and metal, none of the modern pop songs I hear seem to have really deep lyrics or instrumental and seem too uhhhhh... poppy. Maybe I'm just hearing the wrong music or something.
In the end I think it really just boils down to personal taste really, I'm just weird. Anyone else like this?
so, what are some songs you like?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe me, 90% (being generous here by leaving 10% as possibly good.) of pop music is shit. It's been that way since pop was a thing.

Pop music is mostly for casual listeners. Not those that actually are into music. There are exceptions tho like with all things.
Yeah if you go back and listen to pop music from other eras, it's not really that different from today's pop music. I think disco started the whole generic electronic sound. Before that, I think electronic music was more in the Avant-Garde realm.

Don't forget that bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. were pretty much the Nickelback of their generation.

Modern music is not to be dismissed entirely, but you won't hear anything deep and meaningful on the radio. The mid-2000s saw the comeback of progressive rock and concept albums from the likes of The Mars Volta (now defunct) and Coheed and Cambria, which saw some popularity, at least in my school, among the "alternative" crowd.

Reactions: Acrux and V0ltr0n

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
aye, old rock. i love old music. its so pure and original, unlike most of todays music

so, what are some songs you like?
I like through the fire and the flames by dragon force, wish I knew you by The Revivalists, Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne, Slice of Your Pie by Motley Crue, etc. If you look in my signature you'll see the musicians that I listen to.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a reason why you think it all sounds samey samey. Majority of modern pop music uses simple chord progressions like I - IV - V - I with maybe the occasional dominant 7th and is usually metered in 4/4 or 3/4.
I hate new music too, it's all so wrong.

Also, that is objectively false. There is plenty of modern great music coming out.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
There's a reason why you think it all sounds samey samey. Majority of modern pop music uses simple chord progressions like I - IV - V - I with maybe the occasional dominant 7th and is usually metered in 4/4 or 3/4.

Also, that is objectively false. There is plenty of modern great music coming out.
Name a song that is played a and listened to by the average person

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Name a song that is played a and listened to by the average person
Lmao, you're not going to hear any if you're just listening to the radio. Most stations just play the billboard top 40 or variations of some sort of top list.
The only stations that are going to play anything remotely different are usually publicly funded radio stations.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Lmao, you're not going to hear any if you're just listening to the radio. Most stations just play the billboard top 40 or variations of some sort of top list.
The only stations that are going to play anything remotely different are usually publicly funded radio stations.
Yeah, that's why I have never heard of them, and its not my fault

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

We are all different. You don't expect people to be the same.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's also somewhat sad is the death of rock. I mean there's still butt rock like Nickelback and Theory of a Dead Man. Numetal is still a thing I guess too, but that's not what I would say is "good music." That's all they play on the dedicated "hard rock" radio station too.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

You have a good peaceful way with words. You really sound like a Buddha.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I came off as rude but I am just explaining it from a musicians standpoint. Most people don't explain why pop music is boring and all sounds the same. There's a reason why pop music is very simple and not very deep. Record companies want music that sell sell sells and will market to the lowest denominator. A lot of people are very shallow and let the radio tell them what they like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you