Hacking Issues with EZ Flash IV (mini SD version)

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 1.720. I can't save in some games (even ones I previously had save files for) will not save.

Some games won't start period.

Some games will start but say something like "save failed" and don't go beyond that.

Some games will start and let me play but won't save.

What's wrong?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I did initially, the issue is recent. I heard something about charging the battery by leaving it in a gameboy turned on.
nah, thats bullshit, the battery is not rechargeable..
i don't think the battery is the issue, but check it with a multimeter..
also, the usual "format the card it with panasonic formatter" reccomendation...

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is there an EZ Client newer/better than 1.03? Do we still have to use the client?

Battery is probably fine. Why Panasonic above EaseUS or Windows itself?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Is there an EZ Client newer/better than 1.03? Do we still have to use the client?
if you get the last version from the website it is good.
and yes you have to use the client for every room, there are some alternative patchers but you will need to patch the games in order to save.

Battery is probably fine. Why Panasonic above EaseUS or Windows itself?
panasonic is no longer panasonic, people call it the old name.. it is now the formatter from SDA
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

you should use it, because it is from the SDA association, the people in charge of the sd card standard... think if it as the official formatter...
why that one instead of others? it helped solve several peoples problems, and i also once made a test using another flashcart, if i formatted with windows the card wouldn't work.. however with sda formatter it worked pretty well

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my backups, got my saves, got the program. What do I do? How do I get it all working?

Just start me from scratch, I have my roms, I have my save files, have the latest skin.

Let's update me to 1.75 and put all my stuff in.
Plug in your MSD, run the client and point it to the root of your MSD, run your ROMs through the client (with SRAM patch enabled), and then find the save files on the MSD created by the client and replace them with your saves (same location and name).

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plug in your MSD, run the client and point it to the root of your MSD, run your ROMs through the client (with SRAM patch enabled), and then find the save files on the MSD created by the client and replace them with your saves (same location and name).
Noticed in your sig, there's a 1.76 kernel? Is that only for the star wars theme or does clearlooks have it now?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed in your sig, there's a 1.76 kernel? Is that only for the star wars theme or does clearlooks have it now?
Oh yeah, that fixes a few issues and you should probably update, though that's probably not what's causing your problem. As for the skin, I don't remember where I got mine, but I don't think the default is Star Wars anymore.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're welcome! Haha.

I got it, I'm just doing this after being up all night
I probably won't bother updating. The saver works fine for me currently and I don't use any Chinese ROMs or characters, and I haven't had any issues with saving. I usually only update if it fixes an issue (or I hope it will fix an issue) or if it adds a new feature.

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably won't bother updating. The saver works fine for me currently and I don't use any Chinese ROMs or characters, and I haven't had any issues with saving. I usually only update if it fixes an issue (or I hope it will fix an issue) or if it adds a new feature.
I took the .bin from 1.77 and put it on. Held R and it went to 100% but when it loads it just shows a static screen then goes to black in "wipes" for lack of a better explanation. What went wrong?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took the .bin from 1.77 and put it on. Held R and it went to 100% but when it loads it just shows a static screen then goes to black in "wipes" for lack of a better explanation. What went wrong?
Make sure the contacts for the SD are clean and connecting properly. Also, that the BIN didn't corrupt in transfer (do an md5 check against the copy still on your computer). It's possible your SD is going bad. Did you already try formatting it with Secure Digital's format tool (Panasonic format tool)?

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
There are multiple revisions of EZ-Flash IV, there are rechargeable models like mine does come with a rechargeable battery, Panasonic VL2020, and non-rechargeable models comes with regular CR2020 and a few components on the PCB is missing, which I presume is the charge circuit.

I had exactly the same issue, 1.75, 1.76, 1.77 all boot like this, 1.74 works for me, it's in the EZ4 Client 2014 (EZ4_20140306.zip) package.

just ordered the new model with MicroSD slot to check all the fuss about it -_,-

Last edited by JimmyZ,
Reactions: Deleted-236924

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure the contacts for the SD are clean and connecting properly. Also, that the BIN didn't corrupt in transfer (do an md5 check against the copy still on your computer). It's possible your SD is going bad. Did you already try formatting it with Secure Digital's format tool (Panasonic format tool)?
I did it before I loaded it with games. I loaded my games, saving worked with my installed 1.72 and then I figured its time to update the fw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse