Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there!

So I don't know if it's just me, but ever since I've been posting big old windy topics, I've run into a number of issues with Dark Theme users who have problems making out text or different formatting types. This issue is more evident in long and typed out responses, editorial related topics, or format heavy postings. I have seen complaints about the headers causing issues with viewing, or the text that is typed elsewhere before formatting is not the right color to be readable on the dark theme background, not to mention that emotes still have a white background on the black background.

At this point, it's just an inconvenience that this continues to happen, as it's not really the fault of myself or whoever decides to use the light theme. Can we possibly look into remaking the dark theme so that it's more user friendly?

Reactions: Black-Ice

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The issue is not the dark theme. The issue is people copy-pasting black text, causing the rich text editor to apply a color=black or something similar to it, which cannot be themed due to HTML reasons, and black text on a dark grey/black background tends to be rather unreadable. A decent solution would be to change the Rich Text Editor to remove formatting when pasting by default and have a special button for pasting while keeping formatting intact, but someone said the rich text editor was very hard to mess with IIRC. And yes, emotes should be updated, +1 to that.

Reactions: Black-Ice

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Text often goes a different colour on the dark theme after someone posts an external source or starts using special formatting
If the text colour is left on default it adjusts for dark theme but once you change the colour, setting it back to black makes it basically invisible.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either way that's still a nuisance for people like me or for my Reporter colleagues who spend time writing format heavy posts.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Either way that's still a nuisance for people like me or for my Reporter colleagues who spend time writing format heavy posts.
As long as you don't explicitly use dark colors it's perfectly fine. Actually even black is somewhat fine. Grey and dark green are probably some of the worst offenders. Black just looks weird though. The only way to change the dark theme so that it would not have these issues would be to make the background for posts white, ruining the entire point of having one in the first place.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you don't explicitly use dark colors it's perfectly fine. Actually even black is somewhat fine. Grey and dark green are probably some of the worst offenders. Black just looks weird though. The only way to change the dark theme so that it would not have these issues would be to make the background for posts white, ruining the entire point of having one in the first place.

I type the majority of my posts on Microsoft Word and then send them over here for formatting. :(

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As long as you don't explicitly use dark colors it's perfectly fine. The only way to change the dark theme so that it would not have these issues would be to make the background for posts white, ruining the entire point of having one in the first place.

There just needs to be a "default colour" option in the colour palette because the default text colour for us is white, while for normal casual tempers its black

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If you're just pasting them over from here to there and then formatting them here, use CTRL+Shift+V (For Chrome, and I think this works in Firefox now too though it might be a different key combination). It pastes everything in plain text without the formatting.

Alternatively, after you paste everything just CTRL+A then use the eraser in the top left corner to remove formatting as well.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're just pasting them over from here to there and then formatting them here, use CTRL+Shift+V (For Chrome, and I think this works in Firefox now too though it might be a different key combination). It pastes everything in plain text without the formatting.

Alternatively, after you paste everything just CTRL+A then use the eraser in the top left corner to remove formatting as well.

I know you can do that, but it would definitely be more convenient if we could just type things out on a separate medium, copy paste with no worries, and still achieve the desired result. ;)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://gbatemp.net/account/preferences
Uncheck "use rich text editor" and all is good. If you prefer instead there is a simple mode in the rich text editor that should leave out the formatting and I believe there is a remove formatting button but I will have to check on that.

Alternative suggestion.
Force the dark theme upon everybody.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/account/preferences
Uncheck "use rich text editor" and all is good. If you prefer instead there is a simple mode in the rich text editor that should leave out the formatting and I believe there is a remove formatting button but I will have to check on that.

Alternative suggestion.
Force the dark theme upon everybody.

No. Please no. :cry:

Reactions: Joe88

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible we get a better looking light theme? IMO its almost impossible to differenteate between posts, and the borders between avatars, or anything to the left of the posting area gets lost because of how light everything is.

Also who can we bother to make us an "actual" black theme or something? They gray looks "okay" but its just more dirty.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it possible we get a better looking light theme? IMO its almost impossible to differenteate between posts, and the borders between avatars, or anything to the left of the posting area gets lost because of how light everything is.

Also who can we bother to make us an "actual" black theme or something? They gray looks "okay" but its just more dirty.
It's still not black but http://userstyles.org/styles/77518/gbatemp-v4-dark makes it slightly darker?
Edit: it kind of makes the posts themselves a tad lighter or the same, but the page background becomes a bit darker.

Reactions: BortzANATOR

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: EZ-Megaman
D

Deleted-236924

You mean like when someone quotes certain posts, the text in the quote becomes dark blue and the following text in that user's post is dark blue too?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.