Hacking Issue with NOR on a new Ez Flash IV

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I think I understand now. So the problem is that this new loader doesn't force every boot to be a hard reset boot like Modulo's loader. Holding L and pressing A in the GBA loader doesn't seem to do anything for me. Hopefully the button combo just changed and they didn't just get rid it altogether. I checked out your links and it seems kind of strange to me to call the hardreset time-consuming, useless and annoying just because it uses up two seconds. Oh, and also I had previously tried to use the EZ Skinner program, but I couldn't run it. I have windows 7 and my computer doesn't have "hardware assisted virtualization" so it doesn't let me run the program in XP mode.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The guy that wrote it also developed a fairly accurate emulator and a bit of homebrew there, watching the logo again and again as you make a quick recompile of a program is bound to get frustrating.

The program should still work on windows 7, you may have to figure out how to get the VB runtimes installed though. I normally maintain an XP machine or VM for these purposes though so I am not sure what it takes exactly to get 7 to play nice. You might get something from http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...a1a/vb6-runtime-for-windows-7?forum=vbinterop

I doubt they would have got rid of hard reset -- the EZ4 engineers left some time back and word was they had trouble finding some of the sources so I imagine it was mainly just a recompile with the new NOR unlock, read and write commands in it.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I know nothing in that field so I didn't realize they'd have to watch it over and over. As for getting the EZSkinner program to run, I only wanted to get rid of that star wars theme, but now that you posted those other nice skins I'm happy with the way it looks. I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to do a forced soft reset boot like you mentioned in your previous post, although I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks a lot for the help and advice.

Mikesahhh

Mikes
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
On the matter of another skin.

Have a go with the one attached.

Update, confirmed working and working with the EZSkinner skinning tool. A couple of them have now been tried.
I noticed when using your modified skin the version says v1.710
but the EZ4 Client 2014 DOWNLOAD I Just installed from their website has the version V1.740 (both yours and that link has NOR problems fixed with my EZ Cart) how comes the versions are differnet?

Also my new EZ Flash IV keeps crashing when loading certain games (some games work everytime where others will allways crash) which is doing my head in lol but they all work whe im playing them through NOR, so how much NOR space is there on these carts? can you write a bunch of games to the NOR?

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed when using your modified skin the version says v1.710
but the EZ4 Client 2014 DOWNLOAD I Just installed from their website has the version V1.740 (both yours and that link has NOR problems fixed with my EZ Cart) how comes the versions are differnet?

Also my new EZ Flash IV keeps crashing when loading certain games (some games work everytime where others will allways crash) which is doing my head in lol but they all work whe im playing them through NOR, so how much NOR space is there on these carts? can you write a bunch of games to the NOR?

You're right. The NOR does work with that version as well, just tried it right now. It seems they recently updated it. Still can't play Yoshi's Island, though. I'm gonna stick with 1.710, since I don't have to use that star wars theme.
There are 32 megabytes of NOR. You can put multiple games on the NOR if there's enough space for them to fit. Mother 3 uses up all the space.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I usually suggest people pay no attention to version numbers of the skin, though in this case I am not sure why it changed for my reskins.

I might see if we can get some source code for them. A lot of issues could be fixed with it and probably a bunch of nice features brought back as well.

Reactions: Mikesahhh

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I just tried the new version of that skin and there's two .bin files in it. I tried both and it's the same result as before. With one of the files the NOR works fine, but I can't get Yoshi's Island to work. With the other file, Yoshi's Island works fine, but the NOR doesn't work. Anyways, this skin is nice too.

D

Deleted-236924

Would ezfla_up.bin files made to accomodate the new NOR chip from the newer batch still work fine on older batch EZ-Flash IV?

I downloaded that Clearlooks v5, and it sounds like my EZ-Flash really didn't like the v1.740 one since it showed a really long string of the same gibberish as the file name for what I already had stored in NOR and the font was really messed up.

The one based off 1.720RESET worked just as intended, however.

bitbite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Clearlook v5 looks so clean! I think im going to give that one a shot. Im glad i'd poped into this thread :D

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I have have clearlooks v3 (v1.72 reset) on my ezflash (original version)
I see that there is both v1.74 and v1.72 reset included in v5
is there any benefit in going for 1.74 or sticking with 1.72 to retain soft reset
or is 1.74 only meant for the new ez flash models?

the client has the same version and only "EZ4Patch.dll" was modified

D

Deleted-236924

I think you don't want to get 1.74, messes up what's in your NOR. At least it did for me.

Just get the 1.720RESET version of Clearlooks v5, and besides, everything already works like it should on 1.720RESET so the only reason to update is when you are crazy about being on latest version for everything.

cheesypr09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I think I understand now. So the problem is that this new loader doesn't force every boot to be a hard reset boot like Modulo's loader. Holding L and pressing A in the GBA loader doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Has anyone figured out the button combo to make loader to reset prior to launching ROM?

cheesypr09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No dude, I tried everything and no dice. I think this combo thing was removed. What I did notice was that games reset when loaded off the NOR, so I think they would work fine if written to the NOR.

Bummer. I ended up downgrading to v1.72 with RESET patch. I can no longer use NOR, but at least all ROMs work that I tested.
Another fix would be to patch v1.74 with RESET patch and make it behave like v1.72.
Anyone have access to source code and tool chain to recompile?

roachie

Trophies
XP
Country
invaderyoyo, to get Mother 3 & Yoshi's Island working I've written Mother 3 to NOR using 1.74, then flashed back to 1.72 & they both run

gamerish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having the same problem as OP. I tried using the bin solution posted on the first page and it still doesn't work. Any help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM