Hacking issue with loaders and WiiU+vWii HDD at the same time

fadamox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First post here and hoping to get a little assistance. Let me start by saying that I'm nearly 100% certain that my problem is hard drive related and NOT a problem with UStealth. With that said, I'm still hoping this may be the right place to get a bit of help. My setup is two 1TB WD Elements Portable USB 3.0 drives (WDBUZG0010BBK-NESN) attached with two Y-Cables. One drive is formatted for the Wii U the other formatted FAT32 for vWii. With only the FAT32 drive plugged in (and hidden with UStealth) I can read games via Nintendont and WiiFlow. Yet I'm unable to read games using USB Loader GX. However, if I load up WiiFlow first USB Loader will then usually recognize the drive. Now, I'm okay with all this. I prefer USB Loader but am fine using WiiFlow. However, the real problem occurs when I plug both drives in. With both drives plugged in the Wii U drive works fine. The FAT32 drive, though is only recognized by Nintendont. Both WiiFlow and USB Loader freeze, crash or simply don't see it.

I'm ready to try a new drive but figured I'd post here first to see if anyone had any ideas. As I write this I wonder if partitioning one drive NTFS and FAT32 may help and will give that a shot this evening. In the interim if anyone else has suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Edit:
Okay just tried this drive: WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable External USB 3.0 paired with the Elements drive and it netted the same result. Also tried formatting NTFS with no luck. USB Loader freezes with both drives plugged in. WiiFlow sees the drive and games but freezes when I try and load one.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think this is your issue, and there's not a lot you can do.

Nintendont use IOS58 to access USB.
When using IOS58, all 4 USB Port are available, and mounted in decreased order (Port3, Port2, Port1, Port0).

If you plug WiiU drive in a higher port than your vWii drive, it's the WiiU drive which is mounted first.
if you invert vWii and WiiU drive, vWii will be mounted first and Nintendont will see the FAT32 partition.

When using cIOS capable of multiple ports (Hermes v4, Hermes v5.1, d2x v9, d2x v10-alt), the USB Ports are mounted in incrementing order (Port0 then Port1).
So, when using cIOS you must plug vWii in port0 and WiiU in Port1, (but can't launch nintendont, as it uses IOS58 and will mount the drives in reversed order)

I think cIOS d2x on vWii has an issue. A lot of users reported that multiple port support is broken and not working as expected.

If you use another cIOS (v10 not alt), it reads only Port0.

What would be good is if nintendont can select the partitions to mount instead of mounting the first encountered drive.

Reactions: pokeparadox

fadamox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is your issue, and there's not a lot you can do.

Nintendont use IOS58 to access USB.
When using IOS58, all 4 USB Port are available, and mounted in decreased order (Port3, Port2, Port1, Port0).

If you plug WiiU drive in a higher port than your vWii drive, it's the WiiU drive which is mounted first.
if you invert vWii and WiiU drive, vWii will be mounted first and Nintendont will see the FAT32 partition.

When using cIOS capable of multiple ports (Hermes v4, Hermes v5.1, d2x v9, d2x v10-alt), the USB Ports are mounted in incrementing order (Port0 then Port1).
So, when using cIOS you must plug vWii in port0 and WiiU in Port1, (but can't launch nintendont, as it uses IOS58 and will mount the drives in reversed order)

I think cIOS d2x on vWii has an issue. A lot of users reported that multiple port support is broken and not working as expected.

If you use another cIOS (v10 not alt), it reads only Port0.

What would be good is if nintendont can select the partitions to mount instead of mounting the first encountered drive.

Huh, okay. This makes sense, though I'm lost a little around the specifics. That said, are you suggesting that if I switch my vWii drive to Port0 then WiiU to Port1 both WiiFlow and USB Loader should be able to read the drive (but not Nintendont)? Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case as even in that configuration both apps will freeze up. USB Loader at the initialization screen and WiiFlow on launch of a game. Totally okay with picking up a SD card for Nintendont if it would solve the other problem, though.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The ideal setup is to put it like that :

Port0 : WiiU drive
Port1 : vWii drive
Nintendont : as it use IOS58, it will load port1 first. -> it works.
USBLoader : You can specify which port to mount! so the solution is to mount Port1! but it seems broken on vWii :(

in USBLoaderGX, you can specify which port you want to use in the meta.xml
remove the commented lines, and replace -usbport=xxxx to -usbport=1
But users reported that it's not working as it should. It works on wii, so I think it's an issue with cIOS vWii. (or a startup bug on USBLoaderGX, which is a possibility! I need to debug it, I just need free time)

Reactions: pokeparadox

shoemaker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ideal setup is to put it like that :

Port0 : WiiU drive
Port1 : vWii drive
Nintendont : as it use IOS58, it will load port1 first. -> it works.
USBLoader : You can specify which port to mount! so the solution is to mount Port1! but it seems broken on vWii :(

in USBLoaderGX, you can specify which port you want to use in the meta.xml
remove the commented lines, and replace -usbport=xxxx to -usbport=1
But users reported that it's not working as it should. It works on wii, so I think it's an issue with cIOS vWii. (or a startup bug on USBLoaderGX, which is a possibility! I need to debug it, I just need free time)
Yeah, this setup works for Wii U drive and Nintendont, but doesn't work with USB Loaders. There's sort of a weird workaround to partially get things working, but since it's not working in any loader, not just GX, I think it's an issue with the cIOS.

fadamox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this setup works for Wii U drive and Nintendont, but doesn't work with USB Loaders. There's sort of a weird workaround to partially get things working, but since it's not working in any loader, not just GX, I think it's an issue with the cIOS.

Oh, okay. So it's not just me then? So, really anyone that wants to use a USB loader at this point is detaching the Wii U drive before loading it up?

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not detach my wii u drive when using usbloadergx. The way I have managed to get everything to work is to but my apps and gamecube games on an sd card and all of my wii games on a fat32 usb drive. The wii u drive is connected to the bottom port on the back of the wiiu and the vwii drive is connected to the top port.

shoemaker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not detach my wii u drive when using usbloadergx. The way I have managed to get everything to work is to but my apps and gamecube games on an sd card and all of my wii games on a fat32 usb drive. The wii u drive is connected to the bottom port on the back of the wiiu and the vwii drive is connected to the top port.

Ah yes, that would work as well.

Nintendont only works with two drives on Wii U when vWii is in the bottom port, while USB Loaders only work with two drives when vWii is in the top port (there is a workaround where you can use IOS 251 with vWii in the bottom port, but not all games are supported)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
placing games on SD is a solution.
I could add a feature option to open the "copy Gamecube games from USB to SD" prompt, like DIOS MIOS Lite is using.
that way, users could store their games on USB, but transfer the game to play to SD. (preferably, users shouldn't play 56 games per day! focus on one or two games and you don't need to move games that often)

fadamox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hmm... So, my problem may be a little different then. My vWii drive is formatted FAT32 with only a WFSB folder and one ISO (for testing this). Used Wii Backup Manager. No Gamecube games or apps. If I plug it into the bottom USB port with the WiiU drive and the vWii drive in the top port then load USB Loader GX from either a forward or HBC it freezes on initialize USB device. WiiFlow won't see the drive. Reversed with the WiiU drive in the top port and the vWii drive in the bottom gives me the same result with USB Loader (freezes on initialize). However, WiiFlow will see the drive and games but freeze when I try and launch a game.

IronCan

Trophies
XP
Country
So I tried the things in this thread and found that, yes, nintendont will boot GC games from the bottom port and usbloader gx/wiiflow will boot wii games (but not GC games, obviously) from the top port, but of course, they don't play nice, so SD card for GC games looks like the ticket.

I did want to ask, just in case the port switching functionality gets fixed in usbloader gx, is there any problem with using the two drives with nintendont. The first post in the nintendont thread warns against it due to corruption of save files and all that jazz, but is there any weight to that?

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I tried to launch gc games from a hard drive with a wiiu drive connected I got a stack dump error and then crash. That's why I put all my gc games on sd card. It could have been caused by having my hard drive plugged into the top port on the back but it could find all of my games they would just no load.

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... So, my problem may be a little different then. My vWii drive is formatted FAT32 with only a WFSB folder and one ISO (for testing this). Used Wii Backup Manager. No Gamecube games or apps. If I plug it into the bottom USB port with the WiiU drive and the vWii drive in the top port then load USB Loader GX from either a forward or HBC it freezes on initialize USB device. WiiFlow won't see the drive. Reversed with the WiiU drive in the top port and the vWii drive in the bottom gives me the same result with USB Loader (freezes on initialize). However, WiiFlow will see the drive and games but freeze when I try and launch a game.

Have you tried a different hard drive or usb stick? You could even use a sd card with a USB adapter. That's what I am currently using because I don't have another y cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Probably like a 10,000 dollar build back then