Hacking ISO vs CSO

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most games I've tried (and I've tried a lot), work with .cso.

Only a few stutter or even more rarely simply don't work.

My main question is this: Is running a .cso (max level compression) harder on the memory stick or anything?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not doing anything to the Memory stick whether it's a CSO, ISO, CISO+, DAX or JSO. The compressed files are decompressed on the PSP not the stick. Personally i always use ISO's but if you feel the need to compress everything consider CISO+'s instead.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only compress the ones that work without flaws and the compression saves at least a few hundred megs.

I'll look into CISO+.

But would you mind a quick rundown on the difference and any ill-effects?

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmmm I just did a quick test.

Here are results:

Castlevania - The Dracula X Chronicles.iso: 1.03 GB
Level 1 CSO: 769 MB
Level 9 CSO: 763 MB

I'll have to try this on a few more and also check to see if the lower level compression fixes any stuttering in the few games I've left as .ISO.

Thanks for pointing this out.

whyyes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devante said:
Hmmmm I just did a quick test.

Here are results:

Castlevania - The Dracula X Chronicles.iso: 1.03 GB
Level 1 CSO: 769 MB
Level 9 CSO: 763 MB

I'll have to try this on a few more and also check to see if the lower level compression fixes any stuttering in the few games I've left as .ISO.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Strangely enough, I remember trying this on a CSO I got ages ago, and it made like a 300MB difference.... Maybe it was improperly compressed the first time?

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just set the level from 9 to 1.
tongue.gif
'

Anyone, I'm sure different games will turn out differently.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
i have a PSP Go and personally i just buy a 32GB M2, then just use ISOs.. im not really into converting isos or patching them. but im satisfied, i have 25+ games on a 46GB storage, tons of music, etc.
you can find lots of cheap high capacity memory sticks online anyway, they tend to go on sale.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
altorn said:
i have a PSP Go and personally i just buy a 32GB M2, then just use ISOs.. im not really into converting isos or patching them. but im satisfied, i have 25+ games on a 46GB storage, tons of music, etc.
you can find lots of cheap high capacity memory sticks online anyway, they tend to go on sale.

How does that work for you? Sorry for going off topic but I'm looking into a similar solution myself. Considering I bring my iPod, phone, and PSP into school everyday it seems better if I could cut down one of those as well as get a smaller PSP and get a lot more space.

realveemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ISO is always the best... Things can go wrong when not whole as it were.... ROM trimming on nds files can have a negitive impact... I know its different but the same principle applies... Don't mess with the game files!

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've trimmed every single NDS and GBA ROM I have and believe me, I have quite a few (thousand)... and literally have only had maybe twice had a problem trimming them.

As for PSP... I'd say 10 percent of my couple of hundred games give me problems as .cso (God of War being one of them).

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
altorn said:

How does that work for you? Sorry for going off topic but I'm looking into a similar solution myself. Considering I bring my iPod, phone, and PSP into school everyday it seems better if I could cut down one of those as well as get a smaller PSP and get a lot more space.

Lol, yknow what, i bring my 3DS, ipod touch 4g, Samsung Vibrant, PSP Go and Laptop in school too. To tell you the truth its not bothering me much.
But having to take out my ipod touch to change playlists (im using bluetooth headphones), play a Patapon game, check for streetpass tags, then check my SMS from my phone,
it's kinda tedious. Lol
But yeah, never run out of interesting things to do.

Anyway, so far so good. I have about 4 CSOs out of 28 games in my PSP go and it's performing great. It's quick at loading times too considering it is reading from the memory stick.

EDIT: I got my 32GB at my local computer store for $121 after discount.

(6.20 PRO-B4 supports it on the PSP Go)

@Alkahest, having CSOs isnt always good because it just wastes battery (more CPU cycles, more decompression), and of course, lag.
Id rather have extra battery to play with my PSP than have more games i couldn't play anyway coz my battery is dead.

misticknight

Trophies
XP
Country
i downloaded alot of CSO after ordering my PSP without thinking how they are different from ISOs. most of them either dont work when i launch them or i need to use Prometheus. all my isos so far have been flawless though. i think ill stick with ISO.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
altorn said:
Guild McCommunist said:
altorn said:

Lol, yknow what, i bring my 3DS, ipod touch 4g, Samsung Vibrant, PSP Go and Laptop in school too. To tell you the truth its not bothering me much.
But having to take out my ipod touch to change playlists (im using bluetooth headphones), play a Patapon game, check for streetpass tags, then check my SMS from my phone,
it's kinda tedious. Lol
But yeah, never run out of interesting things to do.

Anyway, so far so good. I have about 4 CSOs out of 28 games in my PSP go and it's performing great. It's quick at loading times too considering it is reading from the memory stick.

EDIT: I got my 32GB at my local computer store for $121 after discount.

(6.20 PRO-B4 supports it on the PSP Go)

I can probably use OFW signed games or I can go legit with the system.

I can get a PSP Go for around $120 and a 16GB memory stick micro for around $30 (all this in USD). I can probably sell my old iPod back to my friend for the $100 I paid or maybe more. Plus I can keep the old PSP 1000 around for multiplayer and stuff.

I'll probably use the memory stick for music (seeing as it'd be roughly the same amount of space as my iPod Touch) and the internal memory for games. Either way it's a step up from my 2GB and 4GB memory sticks on my PSP 1000.

It's a really tempting offer and I just recently tried out some music on my PSP 1000 to see how it sounds and it's pretty good. Thanks for the info.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay