Hacking ISO and emulation questions

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Wii can play Wii ISO games on an external hard drive, why can't it play Arcade, 32X, N64, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PS3, etc. games flawlessly? I'm able to play SSBB without a disc, but not Knuckles Chaotix, Megaman 64, Crash Bandicoot, Sonic Shuffle, Marvel vs Capcom 2, or Panzer Dragoon?

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Been able to play games off an external hard drive has nothing to do with the processing power. Emulation need's raw processing power, not usb storage. The PS3 for example is many times more powerful than the Wii so would be impossible for it to emulate. Even the PS2 is way too powerful for a Wii to emulate.

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been able to play games off an external hard drive has nothing to do with the processing power. Emulation need's raw processing power, not usb storage. The PS3 for example is many times more powerful than the Wii so would be impossible for it to emulate. Even the PS2 is way too powerful for a Wii to emulate.
But how am I able to play Wii ISOs without out the discs? I know that I can rip the data from the retail disc, but couldn't I do the same with PS3 discs or Xbox 360 discs, or older than those?

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
But how am I able to play Wii ISOs without out the discs? I know that I can rip the data from the retail disc, but couldn't I do the same with PS3 discs or Xbox 360 discs, or older than those?

Because the Wii is a Wii, it doesn't really matter if the game is been loaded from a disc, SD card or USB hard drive. The console is a Wii, it has the hardware inside it to play Wii games which is why the games work.

To play PS3 games the Wii would have to emulate PS3 (pretend to be a PS3), emulation requires a processor that is 10x (if not more) more powerful than the device its emulating. The Wii is less powerful than a PS3 so it has no chance at emulating a more powerful console.

That's the best I can explain it really.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

I don't really get you.
If you want to play games for ps2 or xbox on the Wii, like the other user said, you need emulation and that requires powerful processors that the Wii lacks.
If you want to play Wii iso on Wii, ps2 iso on ps2 or xbox iso on xbox, that is not emulation, that is hacking while the Wii is one of the easiest now thanks to advance in softmodding but still it is not something for a layman.

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So can't rip discs of Sonic Shuffle or Marvel vs Capcom 2 onto USB Loader because their systems are more powerful.

Is the Wii weaker than a 6th gen console, or can the Playstation and Xbox practically play any title.

Or may each Wii retail disc has special coding where the system actually recognizes it.

I guess I have to shell out hard-earned money to buy back-consoles to play games that don't get Nintendo rereleases. Buy a Dreamcast just to play Shuffle, or both a Genesis and 32X add-on just to play Knuckles Chaotix. Pitiful.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
of course each console have their own anti-piracy measures, you think the companies are stupid enough to let you play anything for free that easily? Not to mention the hardware differences between the different consoles alone are enough to bar you from playing other consoles' games without emulation. Why would they produce such consoles, how do they sell?

If you have a good PC, you may play Dreamcast or older generation games via emulation, but they may not run perfectly, nothing beats the real deal.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So can't rip discs of Sonic Shuffle or Marvel vs Capcom 2 onto USB Loader because their systems are more powerful.

Is the Wii weaker than a 6th gen console, or can the Playstation and Xbox practically play any title.

Or may each Wii retail disc has special coding where the system actually recognizes it.

I guess I have to shell out hard-earned money to buy back-consoles to play games that don't get Nintendo rereleases. Buy a Dreamcast just to play Shuffle, or both a Genesis and 32X add-on just to play Knuckles Chaotix. Pitiful.

Computers are complicated things, there are a lot of things that make a game made for a Playstation 2 very different then a game made for a Nintendo Wii. You can't just hack one type of computer into another.

I would recommend you grab a copy of Kega Fusion for PC and some Sega 32x Emulator Bios if you wanna play Knuckles Chaotix- Dreamcast and Playstation 2 on the otherhand, are a bit of a pain to Emulate unless you get an incredibly high end computer. If you're really interested in getting some "not so legal" copies of PS2 and Dreamcast games- there are solutions for such things- like SwapMagic discs or straight up burning Dreamcast games correctly.

Really if you want to get into Retro gaming- you can't go wrong with the original hardware though, just make sure you get good working hardware.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Computers are complicated things, there are a lot of things that make a game made for a Playstation 2 very different then a game made for a Nintendo Wii. You can't just hack one type of computer into another.

I would recommend you grab a copy of Kega Fusion for PC and some Sega 32x Emulator Bios if you wanna play Knuckles Chaotix- Dreamcast and Playstation 2 on the otherhand, are a bit of a pain to Emulate unless you get an incredibly high end computer. If you're really interested in getting some "not so legal" copies of PS2 and Dreamcast games- there are solutions for such things- like SwapMagic discs or straight up burning Dreamcast games correctly.

Really if you want to get into Retro gaming- you can't go wrong with the original hardware though, just make sure you get good working hardware.
PS2 doesn't take that much to emulate nowadays, I can't imagine Dreamcast emulation taking much more either.
There is no reason he couldn't play 32X games on his Wii but I have a feeling he's trolling.

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 doesn't take that much to emulate nowadays, I can't imagine Dreamcast emulation taking much more either.
There is no reason he couldn't play 32X games on his Wii but I have a feeling he's trolling.

First off, I'm not trolling anyone. Second, if there was a known emulator on the Wii that could play 32X games, I would've done it by now. Knuckles' Chaotix, Tempo, Kolibri, I'd be set.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
First off, I'm not trolling anyone. Second, if there was a known emulator on the Wii that could play 32X games, I would've done it by now. Knuckles' Chaotix, Tempo, Kolibri, I'd be set.
Ah, well, I looked around a bit and the 32X is difficult to emulate on the Wii, plus there is no version of Genesis Plus that supports it, which means a lot of work would have to be redone on porting an entire emulator such as Gens and heavily optimising it until it runs at a good speed. The Genesis Plus GX developer said he might add 32X support from scratch (this would run the fastest in the end) but it would take a very long (undetermined) amount of time and it was unlikely people would ever be able to play 32X games on their Wii according to him.
So, I don't think it's going to happen. But you can play your Sega CD games on it though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup