Hardware Isn't this weird? (Gamecube support or not)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was installing channel wads on my mother wii a few days ago. I Had to use data management and i found a option for gamecube memory cards, but i don't think the wii has game cube function. I looked for a port for the controllers and found nothing, so i put a disc in the system and it didn't work. But why would the option for game cube save data be there if there is no gamecube support? Obviously the wii verson of wii u has it removed cause it does not support game cube, makes lots of sense, but the other thing doesnt. Just makes me wonder what could be the reason. Maybe since is based on the same firmware as the wii with game cube support, nintendo just cloned it over and so lazy to forget to remove it, they didn't seem to forget with wii u, i dunno, anyone have a clue?

By the way is a black wii that came with wii motion plus remote, new super mario wii and a mario galaxy soundtrack, i'm pretty sure only the white wiis have gamecube support right?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
nintendo just cloned it over and so lazy to forget to remove it, they didn't seem to forget with wii u, i dunno, anyone have a clue?
isn't really being lazy.. they just removed the hardware and leaved the software intact...
calll sony lazy as well, playstation 3 after the first 2 revisions don't play ps2 games and still got ps2 memory card emulation..

6miAi.jpg

if you can't open that part, then no, your wii can't play gamecube games officially

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
But it still plays ps2 games, you just have to download it, does it not function like a regular memory card or something? It seem that way when i play ps1 games. :unsure:

heh, it doesn't make sence for a company to strip off a console to save money and deliver a cheaper product. and spend money to fix something so trivial...
the gamecube memory card management are leftovers.. they probably didn't care to release a second copy of the firmware with a slight modification
or maybe the console internally doesn't know the difference between the first and the second model, so either they leave the option on all consoles or removed it on all consoles...

either way, modifiing the firmware\OS just to remove that small thing could create more problems than leaving it intact...

doesn't the second gamecube also has a mios?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doesn't the second gamecube also has a mios?
Umm i'm lost :blink:

1. What do you mean second game cube, there more than one model? O_O
  2. I dunno what mios is.
Also if what you said was true, then the wii u should have just been exactly the same in the system. The only reason they had for altering firmware was to be compatible with wii u, having the return to wii u mode option, system operations manuel and the system transfer for preserving wii shop channels was important, while they did modify it they remembered to remove the Gamecube management. Dunno, if someone was like "Hmm we forgot to remove game cube management in settings, might as well fix it this time." Who knows, it was just curious to wonder. :P

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
What do you mean second game cube, there more than one model? O_O
there are 3 models
first wii with the gamecube ports
second which the gamecube was remoded
and third mini wii

I dunno what mios is.
mios is the gamecube OS\firmware\BIOS inside the wii the first model of wii you can swap the mios with a modified version (also called custom mios) this was used to load burned GC discs or dios mios replaced the mios so you can load GC games from SD or USB

Also if what you said was true, then the wii u should have just been exactly the same in the system. The only reason they had for altering firmware was to be compatible with wii u, having the return to wii u mode option, system operations manuel and the system transfer for preserving wii shop channels was important, while they did modify it they remembered to remove the Gamecube management. Dunno, if someone was like "Hmm we forgot to remove game cube management in settings, might as well fix it this time." Who knows, it was just curious to wonder.
they recoded the wii part into the wii u.. they had to make modifications... and i guess during the testing and whatnot, they changed that part because they was working on it..

anywais IIRC if you have a gamecube animal crossing save you can transfer stuff to the wii version (i recall something like that)
so, the gamecube memory card part could had been left so it wouldn't mess up the games that use this function...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: