WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Another week, another poll for my research. I don't know about you, but ever since I started to play this game, I hardly made any progress on the story. I know there are story quests in the menu that tell where to go, but this game is so frickin huge, I always go to places where I'm not supposed to go, because there is so much to explore, you are kind of overwhelmed. You are supposed to go west, nope, I take a side trip the mountain up. You are supposed to go south, nope, I decide to dive off that cliff because you never know what you may find there. Fuck the game, I'm going straight to Hyrule's Castle, nope, I get my ass handed to me.

So yea, I'm wondering if there are other people who sometimes are kind of overwhelmed by how much open world this game is.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Honestly? Yes. It's great that there's a whole world to explore.. but at the same time? I feel like there's too much space between main objectives. Shrine hunting is losing its zest for me. Which, unless you plan on completing every single side objective (some of you are) it can be too much.

felipecabralf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel the same way you do... but I try to keep exploring only the area of the map I'm in, so that I won't "lose my way" so much. Once I fell like I explored all that I could, I get back on track with the main quest.

Nevertheless, I don't think it's too much of an open world, because they do not force you to be out there exploring, you are the one responsible for making a choice: to explore or to keep on the main quest. And that's why this game is so fenomenal!!!

D

Deleted User

too open world

Yes, but I don't think those are the words i'm looking for. I wish there were better way to warp back to places I've been to. I wish I didn't have to travel so fucking far to get to x objective. I love this game but some of it is just absurd.

TheLittlestBowl

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly? Yes. It's great that there's a whole world to explore.. but at the same time? I feel like there's too much space between main objectives. Shrine hunting is losing its zest for me. Which, unless you plan on completing every single side objective (some of you are) it can be too much.

I was going to post the same thing, I think it took me 30 minutes to get to the next story point one time. That was just straight riding, no sidetracking. The scope of the world is a little too big for how fast you travel.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking for myself, no. But then again I've been playing Skyrim on an almost-constant basis for 5 years and change, as well as modding it to add more content and play time. I'd say I've easily expanded that game by roughly 50%, and my 2,000 hours plus (across all platforms I've played it on, not just Steam) shows I enjoy the open world it presents. And Breath of the Wild offers even more freedom of exploration than Skyrim ever will. So, for me, the large amount of space and content is par for the course, sweetened by the freedom the "climb almost anything" mechanic brings to exploration. Heck, half the point of open world games is exploration, and Breath of the Wild follows such footsteps brilliantly, offering up secrets, loot and so much more for those who stray from the roads. The distractions and loads of sidequests are more than welcome.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at all. Even when you're side-side questing, it pays off. Earlier, I was looking for a shrine, found Spring of Power. Later, I wanted Hylian Shield, got it; kept exploring and found a scale....that I can't use for SoP, but if I keep adventuring, maybe I'll find courage or wisdom? Or the item I actually need.

This game only gets bad if you really can't figure things out or plan properly.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The open world isn't too much of a problem for me. The fact that weapons can break is though.
Not attempting to stray from the topic, but I have yet to share my opinion on this anywhere...so here seems as good a place as any. I don't mind the degradation mechanic. What I mind are the more powerful "endgame" weapons such as the Master Sword and Great Eagle Bow having limited durability. They're supposed to be legendary weapons. The Master Sword is an especially sore spot for me. It shouldn't be unusable after it "runs out of energy." It would have been better off it if was reduced from a 30/60 damage weapon down to 10, 15 max and couldn't fling beams. That way it is still usable because it's the freakin' Master Sword, but also would heavily encourage the player to swap weapons due to it being in a temporarily weakened state.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well... of course at the same time ? It would'nt be a open world then... i do have a shitload of sidequest that i didnt did yet i gathered while doing the main quest or just exploring mindlessly,
the fact that there is so muh space between distinct areas renforce the "real" aspect of that world, i mean, look Majora mask, or "relevant" it is to have hard rock cold ice less than a kilometezr than grass and big trees ?

Dont misunderstand me, i don't want realism in Zelda, but the world need to have it own sense to be real in his world the most freezing areas need to be in higher places, so hot have to be reallyyyyy far to have a transitioning area, that Zelda have the most consistent world, it exist and have sense back at when you had to just climb a 20sec wall to go to the highest point of the death mountain, now it does have more sense to go to the "death" mountain,
it takes time.
It's dangerous, it need special ammo or equipment, you can't just go there like "don't care if it's called the death mountain, gonna take 2min back and forth", nope, death mountain now have a sense.

The sense of a real adventure is there, because of the space between areas, but the space between theses spaces are not empty and full of life, there is always someting to do, the problem is not that the game would be "too open world", the fact is that the game is one of the first true, and full open world beside GTA, that's a really rare type of game and can be disturbing for certain people, mostly for people who where not prepared for that on a Zelda,
But they warned us, this Zelda throwed away a lot of stuff that was too old, or "there for nothing", we have been warned for 3-4 years of that.

Reactions: gamefan5

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The scope of the world is a little too big for how fast you travel.
Find shrines, complete the challenge, upgrade stamina, use speed elixirs, repeat. Or use a pony.

The fact that weapons can break is though.
Upgrade weapon slots through Korok Seed trades with Hestu. Buy a house and two other weapon wall mounts for items you really like. Hyrule Castle is loaded with items.

he Master Sword is an especially sore spot for me. It shouldn't be unusable after it "runs out of energy."
It replenishes after ten minutes, which is pretty fair, if you plan properly. It also encourages you to find Korok Seeds to upgrade slots to have options for when you have to let your sword recharge. You can push it even further by using classic energy beam shots (hold R to power, shot length determined by heart count), stack with attack boosting items and maximum Barbarian clothing to slay most monsters in three strikes.

There are so many other weapons to get a laugh out of, like Soup Ladle trades, i.e. Bokoblin has a club, you smack the club from its grip, steal the club, and leave a ladle for it to take. Even big weapons are interesting to use on horseback.

Agree, the power of a 'broken' MS should be reduced significantly, rather than zeroed.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem isn't that is too open world, is too REALISTIC.. I mean compared to just cause 3 this game is a combination of Just cause with Metal Gear solid and Dark souls. Is all over the place. Weather conditions alter game play. CAN'T CLIMB ROCKS CAUSE IT RANDOMLY RAINS. Thunderstorm? Better take off some weapons if is not wood cause it ill attract thunder and kill you. TOO COLD, got to make hot food to keep you warm or dress up for hot or cold weather, need money, make it the hard way by selling items, doing CHORES for people or gambling, not smashing pots open for it, need new stuff, sorry you CARRYING TOO MUCH. Fighting enemies that take long time.... BROKEN WEAPON, BROKEN SHIELD, BROKEN BOW. Wanna swim, you need stamina, wanna climb rocks, you need stamina, wanna glide, you NEED STAMINA O_O

There no zelda legacy items, no hookshot, no rolling, no magic powers. Heart containers are still obtain from bosses (THANK GOD) but there is so few bosses, most games would have more than 5 (I think except for majora's mask) But normally you would have to find pieces to get more, instead you have to complete shrines to get more, but now you have option, more life or more stamina. More life means less chance of one hit ko, and more stamina means more chance to do EVERYTHING ELSE THAT IS USEFUL FOR EXPLORING.

I don't care about the fact is open world, i find it alright, except for the part being too open and spread out for doing main quest, is like anime filler the video game. Is the fact that the game whole purpose is exploring but they make it hard. If the game wasn't so realistic it would be more fun to play and probably easier too. This is a video game, if i wanted actual exploring experience, put me on reality tv show.

The game isn't horrible and i may have bad opinion on the game but the game itself isn't bad is how they inserted all the mechanics for gameplay that is bad. It follows the original concept of the zelda series that started it, open world gameplay that is based on exploring and discovery, that was the idea of zelda, but in zelda on nes, both games are hard and very cryptic about clues where to go or do, and the only way to progress is play long enough to figure it out or use a walkthrough. Playing this game remind me a lot of phantasy star 2, hard game, so hard, very clueless of direction, small number of bosses, most of the game is walking around, finding specific people to talk to and doing errands for others, and all the problems of RPG I really dislike.

Reactions: Halvorsen

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Well... of course at the same time ? It would'nt be a open world then... i do have a shitload of sidequest that i didnt did yet i gathered while doing the main quest or just exploring mindlessly,
the fact that there is so muh space between distinct areas renforce the "real" aspect of that world, i mean, look Majora mask, or "relevant" it is to have hard rock cold ice less than a kilometezr than grass and big trees ?

Dont misunderstand me, i don't want realism in Zelda, but the world need to have it own sense to be real in his world the most freezing areas need to be in higher places, so hot have to be reallyyyyy far to have a transitioning area, that Zelda have the most consistent world, it exist and have sense back at when you had to just climb a 20sec wall to go to the highest point of the death mountain, now it does have more sense to go to the "death" mountain,
it takes time.
It's dangerous, it need special ammo or equipment, you can't just go there like "don't care if it's called the death mountain, gonna take 2min back and forth", nope, death mountain now have a sense.

The sense of a real adventure is there, because of the space between areas, but the space between theses spaces are not empty and full of life, there is always someting to do, the problem is not that the game would be "too open world", the fact is that the game is one of the first true, and full open world beside GTA, that's a really rare type of game and can be disturbing for certain people, mostly for people who where not prepared for that on a Zelda,
But they warned us, this Zelda throwed away a lot of stuff that was too old, or "there for nothing", we have been warned for 3-4 years of that.

They're pretty empty... I wouldn't qualify random mobs, weather events, and shrines as a part of "something to do". Fighting enemies yields little to no reward (aside from material) and it just gets redundant. Not to mention tower climbing.. There's just something.. off about it.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It replenishes after ten minutes, which is pretty fair, if you plan properly. It also encourages you to find Korok Seeds to upgrade slots to have options for when you have to let your sword recharge. You can push it even further by using classic energy beam shots (hold R to power, shot length determined by heart count), stack with attack boosting items and maximum Barbarian clothing to slay most monsters in three strikes.

There are so many other weapons to get a laugh out of, like Soup Ladle trades, i.e. Bokoblin has a club, you smack the club from its grip, steal the club, and leave a ladle for it to take. Even big weapons are interesting to use on horseback.

Agree, the power of a 'broken' MS should be reduced significantly, rather than zeroed.
I carry plenty of weapons because I can't rely solely on the Master Sword, nor would it be smart to, even if it had a reduced power state. My point was more or less that endgame-level equipment shouldn't feel so limited. I think the only piece of gear I've found like that which I've genuinely been impressed with has been the Hylian Shield, due to the absolutely absurd amount of abuse it can take. That's a properly-done endgame piece.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/yjrjY6PCb7o?si=xnFz0B2o_adIgLTV