Is your Switch's Wi-Fi signal weak?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by riverscn, Mar 17, 2017.

?

How is your Switch's Wi-Fi signal strength?

1. Good

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Bad

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
Mar 17, 2017
  1. da1e85

Member da1e85 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I will do when I'm home

2. Nemix77

Member Nemix77 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I stand correct no MiMO however yes a firmware can improve signal strength by tweaking the channels of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC (haven't worked with NFC yet) or even turning on/tweaking a feature found on most Intel wireless cards called Bluetooth Amp (named differently on Broadcom chips) which could help with interference.

All these features the Wi-Fi card on the Switch may or may not have can be turned on or tweak with a firmware update, it's not different than a computer/tablet.

Last edited by Nemix77, Mar 18, 2017
  3. Mr. Wizard

Member Mr. Wizard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Anyone else have these mythical 4 bars on their switch? Are there 2 different versions?

4. Nemix77

Canada
    Poor choice of words, physical obviously meaning a real antenna or extender as they call it today, all wireless products have an antenna but to the the real antenna like those rabbit ears helps a lot with signal strength.

Obviously they don't use it to that extent in tablets today heck even in laptops the antennas a very small but it's there and not built into the wireless NIC itself.

5. Mr. Wizard

Canada
    So what you are saying is having a tiny round copper wire separate from the pcb that can be pinched and broken off as oppose to having a flat copper trace of the same length with more surface area on the pcb itself and therefore more protected is better?

6. Nemix77

Canada
  7. gamemasteru03

Member gamemasteru03 Tutorial Master

United States
    I am getting the same problem gets like four or three bars but it still works like it has five,

8. Mr. Wizard

Canada
    Nice photos of some round copper wires. What is the point you are trying to make?

Can you please show me a screen shot of these "4 bars"?

9. Nemix77

Canada
  10. gamemasteru03

Member gamemasteru03 Tutorial Master

United States
    oops forgot the switch only has three bars. All I know is that most of the time it dosent have full bars when all my other consoles do. It has two most of the time.

11. Mr. Wizard

Canada
    Do you even know why those antennas are better? "Surface area". You still haven't proven in any way shape or form how a round copper wire is better than a flat copper trace of the same length.

Of course a dipole antenna is going to be better have you ever taken one apart? What devices use these antennas? Stationary access points that need the range and bandwidth to serve multiple devices.

Why don't cell phones have antenna sticks anymore? Because we don't need them. There are better ways of doing things now. Like antenna traces.

I still don't see your point.

Even cars don't have antennas sticks anymore, they trace the antenna around the windshield.

12. Nemix77

Canada
    You know what I'm done here, you're smarter and better is that what you want to hear?

LOL...point is there's room for improvement that does not involve Nintendo recalling a whole bunch of Switch's.

Either they do it through a revision of the Joy Cons and console itself in the future or via firmware update (to improve upon things not fix it and is certainly possible) for current users whom experience less than satisfactory Wi-Fi signal strength.

Last edited by Nemix77, Mar 18, 2017
  13. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Mine has always two bars. It gets the job done, though.

14. riyaz

Member riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Antarctica
    sorry i meant 2 out of 3

15. YourHero

Member YourHero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    My only complaint is wired is like a 4th of this download speed. I dont really know why. I wanted wired for online games but if its not gonna have lag I'll just play smash wired when it comes out.

16. Mr. Wizard

Canada
    Speed has nothing to do with LAG nowadays with broadband speeds. You should run a PING test to determine your response time and make sure that the MTU of all your devices match that of your router.

17. YourHero

Member YourHero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It wasn't online I was worried about. I hardly take my switch out of the dock. I want to be able to download my games while it's docked too. I mean I guess it's not a big deal to pick it up and use the eshop on its own screen.

18. Mr. Wizard

Canada
    Alrighty then. I think I see what you were talking about now. Unless your internet connection is faster than 150Mbps you shouldn't really see any difference between wireless and wired on your switch while downloading digital games. And the fact that your wired is so much slower than your wireless I can only assume that you are using a 100Mbit adapter instead of a 1Gbit adapter or you have much more serious issues which are outside the scope of these forums.

19. Sonic Angel Knight

Member Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I think i been a idiot. :P

I found a tutorial on youtube of ways to increase ps4 internet connections and i just used that tutorial.
    • Create static ip address
    • Change Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8
    • Change Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4
    • Change MTU to 1473
    Not that i can prove there is a difference but i just been using it ever since. Although i been having a consistent 50MBPS download and 15MBPS upload on my switch, no issues since day one. Even when automatic is been no problem, as long as i have AC wifi. (Really wish i had a AC ps4 now) :unsure:

20. StarGazerTom

Member StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    I've got a very poor reception, only 1 bar, sometimes flickers to 2, but I'm putting that down to my router being at one end of the house and the switch somewhere in the middle behind a large concrete wall.

Elsewhere in the house, it's fine, even to my room above the router.