Is your Switch's Wi-Fi signal weak?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by riverscn, Mar 17, 2017.

?

How is your Switch's Wi-Fi signal strength?

1. Good

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Bad

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Too bad is probably impossible to self hardware upgrade wifi to use ac, that would been nice or leats made the new 3ds have it considering it was release like 2015. O_O

2. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    I should also note that I'm running 400Mbps @ 80hz channel width on a tri-band but only using 20% power because cancer. If I need to move shit fast I just crank it up.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Meh, as soon as some more games come out for Switch I doubt I will even use my 3DS anymore. It will go in storage with my Atari 7800, NES, Donkey Kong Game & Watch, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP.

I haven't really even looked at it since I got the Switch because Zelda.

3. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    seem like this zelda game getting to a lot of people. I was more excited for Xenoblade chronicles 2, Sonic mania, (UNOFFICIAL TITLE SONIC GAME) ToeJam & earl back in the groove and Blaster Master zero than Zelda. But i wasn't gonna buy a new console with no game to play, zelda seem like a sensible choice to last long enough for the other games to get released.

The good news is downloading games will be great with the 50+ download speeds, so that is a good thing i would say Which people may be doing a lot more :)

4. isanchez

isanchez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    Mine never gets full bars even though my router is less than 5 feet away but download speeds are probably better than my ps4 which is at the same distance

5. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    I wish Xenoblade was out, that was one of my favorites on 3DS, I have it pre-ordered on Amazon for the Switch. I plan on buying carts so I can sell them once the Switch is hacked or a ROM cart get's released.

6. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Is your ps4 a slim or pro? It The original doesn't have 5GHZ AC so it would least make a difference.

7. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Contrary to popular belief, 2.4 is more robust than 5, it penetrates walls better. My 2.4 band is running at 150Mbps so it isn't slow by any means.

8. isanchez

isanchez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    I have the original but even for my Xbone the switch seems to be able to keep up with it even if not on full bars

9. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Range may be better on 2.4 but speed is better on 5 which is why i even use it. Of course 2.4 makes for good backup. :P

10. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Yes my 5 is running at 400Mbps, but I'm just saying that 2.4 isn't as slow as people think it is. 150Mbps is respectable, faster than most peoples internet.

[​IMG]

If I crank up the signal strength I can get my 5GHz up to 800Mbps, but cancer...

11. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    It's not good but I've got a USB LAN 3.0 adapter coming which will fix it. WiFi for gaming is never a reliable choice.

12. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    If this is another issue with the Switch I'm seriously consider just returning it and rebut it until this holiday season.

I can accept there are problems with any system at launch but I don't like how passive NoA has been about it and saying nothing is wrong at all, pretty much sweeping launch owners under the rug.

13. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    I get 2 bars with this speed

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  14. Riyaz

Riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Jun 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    everywhere
    i get 3 out of 4 bars and my switch is on the same table as my router

15. Judas18

Judas18 Queen Kunty

Jul 30, 2011
    England
    My switch is fine at home however, at this hotel it's fucking shit and I can't connect to fuck all.

16. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I find it good not great and not even close to bad, nothing wrong with it (not as good a laptops connection but it's better than average) and that's using a the internet company's modem too.

It uses a Broadcom chip (2x2 MiMO) for wireless so it's not worse than most smart phones which also use Broadcom chips, the only thing I can suspect why the Wi-Fi signal is a bit more weak on the Switch is because of shielding used (which also affects the Joy Cons signal), all the other wireless technologies (like Bluetooth and NFC interference, can fixed with a firmware update) and the fact is doesn't have a physical antenna for the wireless chip (most tablets do).

17. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    You don't seem to understand how SU-MIMO and MU-MIMO work, they do not increase the "signal" or "speed" of your network, they increase the "bandwidth". And the difference between SU and MU being that MU you can stream to multiple devices simultaneously instead of one at a time with SU.

You assume the Switch even supports MIMO just because it uses a broadcom chip, you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

Also you cannot fix NFC or BT "interference" with firmware if something is physically blocking the signal.

It does have a physical antenna for wifi, I don't understand what you mean by this. Just because there is no "visible" antenna doesn't mean there isn't one.

The switch only has 3 bars????

18. da1e85

da1e85 GBAtemp Regular

Blacklisted Trader
    Dec 11, 2014
    Mine has 4 bars

19. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    That is pretty good About as good as mine. At least we can get a visual representation of out internet speeds on this system, before we had no clue of the status since nintendo never put in wifi test results. :)

20. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Please show me a picture because I've only ever seen 3 bars on a Switch...

[​IMG]