Hacking Is this Flashcart safe? Wanting DS on 3DS.

mar789

Master Italian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Currently my brother is looking into getting a flashcart but only wants to play DS games on his 3DS. Getting something that can play both is far too expensive compared to carts that can only play DS games so it narrows the options a bit. Originally I would suggest a Supercard but now they are only making their 'better' 3DS one which is quite expensive.

Currently I don't know what to get and the only one I can really find is this http://r4i-sdhc.com/aboute.asp if that is a garbage card could someone suggest a better flashcart to get.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the 3ds side of things the custom firmware stuff seems to have mostly come of age so people are doing that now. About the only real downside of doing it that way, other than the usual aggravation of running a custom firmware on a device that gets updates, is you get to use either the NAND or a the SD card in the 3ds rather than a 3ds slot device.

DS wise then if you go custom firmware you can also drag down various blocks and get yourself a few more options. If you were rolling with a stock 3ds then your options are probably supercard DStwo (as well as the new 4 in 1 thing they did put out a few more dstwos), though they cost more than some other DS flash carts do and did. The other option for DS games that most would use is the R4i gold (there is apparently a version out there which does 3ds games as well, that would be something else). There are probably hundreds of things with R4 in the name (it was the first flash cart to truly take off on the DS and its name became kind of synonymous with it all) so do pick carefully if you are going for something else. Said R4i gold will not have some of the really fancy features of the DStwo (all the guides, savestates, cheat search and really fancy emulators/homebrew) but it will play basically every DS game, do all the normal homebrew (the SNES, GBA, video and some other emulators are very nice but most homebrew was not for the DStwo and co) and have cheats so there is that.

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by DHall243,
Reactions: ModchipCentral

mar789

Master Italian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only issue I'm having is currently my brother 3DS is completely up to date and is only interested in playing DS games. I see R4i Gold only supports up to 3DS V10.3.0-28 but that could just be outdated info that they have yet to update. I only have knowledge in the realm of 3DS CFW and flashcarts, not so much DS flashcarts working on the 3DS. I just need something that's not far too expensive, plays NDS games, and works on the latest 3DS firmware if any such device exists.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only issue I'm having is currently my brother 3DS is completely up to date and is only interested in playing DS games. I see R4i Gold only supports up to 3DS V10.3.0-28 but that could just be outdated info that they have yet to update. I only have knowledge in the realm of 3DS CFW and flashcarts, not so much DS flashcarts working on the 3DS. I just need something that's not far too expensive, plays NDS games, and works on the latest 3DS firmware if any such device exists.

R4i Gold works on the latest firmware.

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure the entry point that the R4i Takes but if its anything like the DStwo, it fools the system into thinking its a legit DS cart. I was happy with my cart because it allowed me to play DSi games on my DS Lite, I take my DS Lite to work from time to time because ive only got $50 in it.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure the entry point that the R4i Takes but if its anything like the DStwo, it fools the system into thinking its a legit DS cart. I was happy with my cart because it allowed me to play DSi games on my DS Lite, I take my DS Lite to work from time to time because ive only got $50 in it.

It fools the system.

mar789

Master Italian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've told my brother to go with the R4i GOLD, the only thing is now a reputable site to order from. Currently looking at USA-Hot-Stuff, 3DSFlashKart, and nds-card. These were all linked to through the shoptemp site but I don't know which is the best to order from and I figure someone here has some insight. Thanks for any help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse