Hacking Is there any way to completely disable the requirement for the disc drive?

Dark11Void

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii isn't Wii-able. It's Gamecube-able and emulation-able through Nintendont and USB Loader GX, but not Wii-able.

My Wii isn't capable of playing any Wii software at all whatsoever. Not Wii-ware, not Wii games through a USB stick, and no, not even the pre-installed Wii applications like the Mii Channel, Weather Channel, et cetera.
Every single attempt at loading Wii software will net me an error screen saying, "An error has occurred. Press the Eject Button, remove the Game Disc, and turn off the power to the console. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for further instructions.". I've seen this message so many times now I subconsciously see just a black screen with the word, "NO".

This Wii was given to me by a teacher a few years back after they attempted (and failed) to install a mod-chip. I've taken the system apart many times over the years (SO MANY SCREWS!!!) looking for disconnected or improperly
connected ribbon cables, any remnants of a modchip, and shorted contacts to no avail. At this point, I just think disc drive controller chip or something was fried when my teacher tried to install the modchip. Looking everywhere I could online for a solution, I've seen people say that the disc drive is required for Wii titles to operate, and this seems to coincide with my assumption. My question to anyone whom might be of help is: Is there any software floating around the internet that will disable the requirement for the disc drive entirely? I know it's possible to run the Wii without a disc drive, as modders can trim their Wii motherboards to make portable Wiis, which have neither a wireless card nor a disc drive. I just don't know how. Priiloader doesn't seem to have any options for disabling the drive, nor does there seem to be any homebrew bypasses. I'd really love help with this!

Thanks in advance!

Dark11Void

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I do. After I installed homebrew I installed Nintendon't and USB Loader GX. I used Priiloader to automatically load into USB Loader GX when the system boots, since the Wii menu is useless. Gamecube games and emulation works great through the loaders.

Last edited by Dark11Void,

Dark11Void

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess if that's the only way to achieve what I need. Man... I just hope I can use USB Loader GX and my preferred emulators. Portablize Mii looks atrocious.

Edit: In hindsight, it doesn't look so bad once it starts working -- a tad bit archaic.

Last edited by Dark11Void,

Dark11Void

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I thought I should mention that there is a separate program out there (which is included with PortablizeMii) called Sneek, which will allow you to bypass the disc drive to load Wii software. I found this out while talking with someone on BitBuild.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu